Graduates of the Ontario College Graduate Certificate Program in Autism and Behavioural Science (ABS) will be prepared to take on positions implementing and contributing to the development of behavioural programming while working within a team with the direct supervision of a behaviour analyst and/or psychologist.
Graduates will have a firm grounding in Applied Behaviour Analytic (ABA) practices and their application in intensive (IBI) and non-intensive (ABA) settings. Most of their preparation and training emphasizes treatment for individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and other exceptionalities.
Students apply their knowledge in two field placements in this 1-year program. These placements are possibly the most important part of student learning and they are developed in collaboration between Mohawk College ABS faculty and staff and exceptional community agencies. Placements occur in clinical, educational and residential settings with children, adolescents and adults who have a diagnosis of ASD, or where staff are practicing behavioural approaches to teaching skills and treating challenging behaviour.
Access to Transportation
- Field placements occur at locations that are not accessible by public transit. As such, students shall be expected to either have access to a car or the ability to supply their own transportation when attending field placement.
- Mohawk shall not be responsible for providing students with transportation to field placements within or outside the Hamilton region
Police Reference Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening
- All students are required to have a Police Reference Check completed by the Police Service in their home community.
- The cost of this check is the responsibility of the student.
- The field placement agency is responsible for verifying that the police clearance is valid.
- Registered students who have been convicted of an offense under the Criminal Code of Conduct for which they have not been pardoned may be denied the opportunity for placement at the discretion of the agency.
- In the interest of students, agencies and agency clients, all students are required to receive (or show evidence of) all routine vaccinations and to complete a 2-step Tuberculin (TB) skin test.
- Vaccinations include: a) Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR), b) Tetanus, Diphtheria, Pertusis (Tdap), c) Varicella (Chicken Pox), and d) Hepatitis B.
- Placement agencies have reserved the right to refuse access to students who do not meet their immunization requirements.
Nonviolent Crisis Intervention (NVCI)
- Prior to attending field placement, all students must have completed the NVCI certificate course.
Field Placement Hours and Schedules
|Field Placement 1||Full time (typically Monday to Friday)||126||Mid November -Mid December|
|Field Placement 2||Full time
(typically Monday to Friday)
A considerable strength of the Autism and Behavioural Science Graduate Certificate is the experiences students gain while completing over 300 hours of field placement. Without our valuable community agencies, these experiences would not be possible.
Autism and Behavioural Science
Emily Comegna, M.Ed., BCBA
Field Placement Specialist
905-575-1212 ext. 3668
emily.comegna [at] mohawkcollege.ca