Credit Transfer Frequently Asked Questions

What is an articulation agreement?

An articulation agreement is a formal credit transfer agreement between any two institutions (colleges and universities) that allows credits earned in specific programs at one school to be applied towards direct entry or advanced standing at another school.

Simply put, articulation agreements allow you to continue your education at another school without having to repeat certain courses to graduate.

What is the advantage to an articulation agreement?

By making it easier to change schools without have to repeat certain courses articulation agreements:

  1. reduce duplication of learning by recognizing previous achievements
  2. save money on tuition, student fees and textbooks
  3. optimize knowledge, training and skills
  4. improve career readiness and focus
  5. accelerate progress towards achieving your career and educational goals.

Does an articulation agreement guarantee admission to the destination program?

No. Completion of Mohawk College credits does not guarantee admission to an articulated degree program. Admission, even after completing college courses, like all other admissions, is competitive. There may be other admission criteria including pre-requisite courses or a minimum grade requirement. There may be a limit on the number of students admitted to the degree program. Contact the receiving school directly to inquire about all admission criteria.

What are transfer credits?

Transfer is the recognition of work by one school completed at another. Students who have completed a program of study at Mohawk College may be able to transfer credits earned at Mohawk towards advanced standing in an approved transfer program at another college or university. Students must officially apply to have their credits recognized.

If you're admitted, and if the courses you've taken are a good match, you may be able to use credits you have already earned to fulfill some of the requirements of the program you transfer to.

Knowing about transfer opportunities will help you make wise choices in your college studies should you wish to continue your education toward a degree in your chosen field.

How do institutions determine transfer credits?

There are several ways in which universities and colleges assess the number of credits that they will accept as transfer from one institution and program to another:

  • Block Transfer of Credits – A block transfer of credit is an agreement whereby a group of courses from a student’s program will be accepted to a related program and assigned a specific number of transfer credits. This is the simplest method of credit transfer.
  • Course-by-Course Credit Transfer – Some universities work with Mohawk College to carefully match all college courses in a diploma program to the relevant university degree program. The university determines the courses that must be taken at the university and those which can be transferred from the college program.
  • Formal Agreements – Mohawk College has many formal, signed articulation agreements with universities where credit transfer has been predetermined. This means that the institutions stand behind their agreements, and will offer the best credit transfer possibilities to Mohawk graduates.
  • General Arrangements – Also known as General Transfer Policy. Most postsecondary institutions have general credit transfer policies that apply to all Ontario college credits. Find a transfer policy (opens new window) for Ontario publicly-funded universities and colleges on ONTransfer (opens new window).
  • Individual Negotiation of Transfer Credit – all colleges and universities will consider credit transfer requests from any student and treat them on an individual basis. Find a transfer advisor (opens new window) for Ontario publicly-funded universities and colleges on ONTransfer (opens new window).

What does it mean when courses transfer for a different value?

Each institution has its own credit value system. Institutions will not usually assign more credit to a transfer course than they assign to their own course.

How do I find out which schools will give me credit for my college work?

Visit ONTransfer (opens new window) and search for program transfers (opens new window) to locate transfer and degree completion pathways with Ontario publicly-funded universities and colleges. The database lists schools that recognize your diploma, outlines how your credits will count toward a relevant degree, and may indicate the minimum grade point average required to be eligible for admission. Web links and contact information are also provided.

Or visit the Mohawk Transfer Database (opens new window) to search for opportunities listed by your Mohawk program or by receiving institution. This database contains opportunities both within and outside of Ontario.

While every effort is made to keep the agreements in the database up-to-date you should check directly with the receiving institution for the most current information.

What if the university I want to go to is not listed in the Mohawk Transfer Database?

If the university you hope to attend is not listed, it means that you will have to contact them directly to see if your diploma or any of your credits earned at Mohawk College will meet their entrance requirements and if any transfer credit is available. This is negotiated individually with each institution.

Visit ONTransfer (opens new window) to find a transfer policy/advisor (opens new window) or search for program transfers (opens new window) to locate transfer and degree completion pathways with for Ontario publicly-funded universities and colleges.

What should I consider when choosing a degree or diploma completion institution?

There are a number of things you may want to consider:

  1. Does the receiving institution have the program or courses I am interested in studying?
  2. Will the receiving institution provide credit transfer or advanced standing for courses I have completed at Mohawk College?
  3. Do I have the admission requirements to be accepted into the program?
  4. Would I prefer to study full-time or part-time or is distance education the preferred option for me?
  5. Is on-line learning available?
  6. Where would I prefer to live?
  7. What can I afford?
  8. Are scholarships or bursaries available?

What is ONTransfer?

ONTransfer (opens new window) is your guide to credit transfer in colleges and universities in Ontario. If you are changing institutions, graduating from college or university and looking for another credential, or just starting out on your educational pathway, ONTransfer (opens new window)can help plan the route to your postsecondary destination.

Where can I find more information about a university?

Visit ONTransfer (opens new window) to find a transfer policy/advisor (opens new window) for Ontario publicly-funded universities and colleges.

The Mohawk transfer database (opens new window) provides details of articulation agreements and direct links to partner universities. You can research a school and its services further by exploring its website. You are encouraged to contact the receiving institution directly for the most up to date information about credit transfers.

Periodically, transfer advisors from other institutions participate in on-campus events or arrange information sessions at Mohawk. Notice of upcoming events (opens new window) will be sent through announcements on MyMohawk.

What is the sending institution?

The sending institution is the school you are leaving from which you have either graduated or earned some course credits.

What is the receiving institution?

The receiving institution is the school you hope to be accepted into.

Who should I talk to if I have questions about credit transfer or articulation agreements?

Mohawk’s professional counselling staff would be pleased to assist you in mapping out your educational pathway. Start by Contacting Us (opens new window) and be sure to read the Pro Tips section below. If you are a Mohawk College student, please drop in to the Counselling Services Office at any of our campus locations or call 905-575-2211.