Protection, Security and Investigation FAQ

Frequently asked questions for:

I’d like to switch programs – how can I do that?

Applicants initially apply for one of the three programs (CJS, PF, or PSI) and because the program has a common first year a student can switch programs prior to starting second year.

Please contact Tracey Richardson, our department's Student Success Advisor at tracey.richardson [at] (tracey[dot]richardson[at]mohawkcollege[dot]ca) for assistance with this matter.

One/two courses are not showing up on my schedule – why?

All courses should appear on the student’s schedule when they select a block unless one of the following has occurred.

There are a number of reasons why the course(s) is not appearing on your schedule. Please see if one/more of the following applies to you:

  1. If you failed a course in a previous semester that is a pre-requisite course for your upcoming semester, you are not allowed to take the course until the pre-requisite course has been completed; therefore, the needed course will not appear on your schedule
  2. You may have accidentally de-selected the course that is not appearing on your schedule
  3. If you are trying to add a failed/required course(s) to your current schedule there may be a scheduling conflict. In this case, a conflicting course(s) would automatically be dropped from your schedule. Check to see if you received an error message indicating the scheduling conflict

I got this "current status prevents registration" message – what does this mean, and/or what should I do?

There are a number of reasons why you received this message. Please see if one/more of the following applies to you:

  1. You may have outstanding tuition fees, parking tickets, etc., that will prevent you from registering (your account is on hold)
  2. Your status may be probation or compulsory withdraw. Check your MyMohawk account for an email/message regarding your current status. If your status is probation please contact Tracey Richardson, our department's Student Success Advisor at tracey.richardson [at] (tracey[dot]richardson[at]mohawkcollege[dot]ca) for assistance with this matter. If your status is compulsory withdraw please contact your program coordinator for assistance.
  3. If none of the above apply to you – please attend The Registrar's Office for assistance

How do I choose my timetable or register for a course(s)?

Find all the information you need to register for classes and select your timetable.

I need/want to switch blocks – how can I do that?

College staff are unable to switch your block. You can however, monitor the block schedules for openings, especially during the add/drop period which is the first 10 business days after the start of the semester.

I failed my general elective course – what do I do?

Our Justice Studies Program has no control over the elective courses. Please contact gened [at] (gened[at]mohawkcollege[dot]ca) to arrange a meeting to discuss your situation; or attend room A111.

I failed my fitness class or I have an injury/illness that prevents me from attending/completing my fitness class – what do I do?

Please contact the Fitness Coordinator shelley.lang [at] (Shelley Lang )to arrange a meeting to discuss your situation.

I failed my Communications course – what do I do?

Our Justice Studies Program has no control over these courses. All inquiries regarding your Communications course should be directed to communication [at] (communication[at]mohawkcollege[dot]ca); or attend room A111.

I would like to switch from coop to non-co-op or from non-co-op to co-op, can I do this?

Students have to switch into co-op within the first 10 business days of semester 2 or they cannot opt into the co-op program. As long as they have been promoted in good standing from semester 1, they contact SSA. If their status is probation or compulsory withdraw, they contact program coordinator. If you are trying to switch out of co-op after the first 10 business days you must contact trent.jarvis [at] (Trent Jarvis) for assistance with this matter.

I would like to complete a dual diploma – what do I need to do?

After you have successfully completed one of the Justice Studies diploma programs (Police Foundations; Protection, Security and Investigation; or Community and Justice Services) you can complete the second year of another diploma. Students must apply via OCAS and can do this through our student success advisor. Students need to apply via OCAS to semester/level 3 of the program in which you would like to complete. Make sure you use the same contact information (student number, name and birthdate) you used to create your initial OCAS application/account.

Note: if you don’t use your original name and student number, you will be issued a second Mohawk student number, which causes confusion later on.

I heard I can apply my CJS/PF/PSI diploma to a criminology degree at Laurier – how do I do this?

You would apply via the Ontario Universities Application Centre (OUAC), but we recommend you consult Laurier’s college transfer credit policies for further information and direction.

I have applied to get my diploma, but don’t see my name on the graduation list. I was wondering if I can just pick up my diploma or am I still missing something?

Please contact debbie.kendall [at] (Debbie Kendall) for assistance with this matter.

Does your program accept mature students?

All of our programs accept mature students, read more about the mature student admission requirements, the application process, etc.

Does your program accept international students?

All of our programs accept international students, read more about admission requirements, the application process, fees, etc. for international students

What are the employment prospects for graduates out of your program into their chosen careers? Do your graduates get hired right out of college into police services, customs, probation, corrections, group homes, parole services, the military, etc.

Direct hiring out of our program into the graduate’s “dream job” remains a challenge. Many of our graduates lack the life and work experience needed to meet the essential competencies to becoming a police officer or similar related careers. The average age of a police recruit at the Ontario Police College is currently 27 years of age. We are very realistic with our students in our Justice Studies programs about the pathways to careers. We constantly message students that they will need to obtain the additional life and work experience before applying to their justice careers. Students are told that they need to obtain work experience in related fields such as private security, private investigation, event security, half way houses, victim services, etc to make them the best candidates for their chosen career. Coupled with this is the need to ensure the graduate has volunteer experience and other life experience.

We recommend you do your own research before you make the decision of what career you want to pursue. Justice studies careers will always be competitive careers to obtain and the process of obtaining education, work and life experience is a long one. Further education is also a consideration as many of our graduates realize that much of their competition for these jobs have obtained additional education such as university degrees or post graduate college diplomas like Advanced Police Studies or Advanced Security Management.

Below several links to the most commonly asked career path:

Which Justice Program has the highest employment outcomes?

All three Justice programs are excellent to prepare you for career success. Protection, Security and Investigation allows you to prepare for many career possibilities that are from the private sector and public sector.

How do I get my security guard and/or private investigator licence?

Protection, Security and Investigation students have the opportunity to obtain many licenses and industry recognized certifications. Training for the Ontario Security Guard License and/or Ontario Private Investigator License are offered in semester three and semester four.

Please visit the Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services website for security guard and private investigator training requirements and licence procedures.

Why does your Protection Security and Investigation program not have specializations like other schools? Canada Border Service Agency and Private Investigations?

The Protection, Security and Investigation program does cover specialized career areas including Canada Border Services Agency and Private Investigations in our semester three and semester four courses.  The Protection, Security and Investigation program includes industry related content that allows choice of career paths.

Our optional Co-op semester(s) includes many opportunities to gain industry skills before graduating.

Are there any additional training/certificates that are recommended on top of diploma training? Are these included in the programs?

As a Protection, Security and Investigation student, you will have access to private investigation licence training and Security Guard licence training. There are other industry recognized trainings and certifications offered to students in semester three and four of the program.  
Please email the PSI Coordinator for additional details.

What labs make the Protection, Security and Investigation program different than other Colleges?

Lab work is an important part of our program. You will be participating in various scenario driven labs throughout your program.

How do I get my firearms licence?

Please see the Royal Canadian Mounted Police website for firearms laws, courses, etc.

Contact Us

If we have not answered your question, you have a new question, or you require further information, please send an email to your Program Coordinator.

Amy Jantz
Protection, Security and Investigation - 293/294
amy.jantz [at] (amy[dot]jantz[at]mohawkcollege[dot]ca)