Autism and Behavioural Science FAQs

Is the complete certificate available online?

Yes, all courses are available online except NVCI (only offered in class)

When are courses offered?

Courses are offered every semester.

  • Fall Semester: September to December
  • Winter Semester: January to April
  • Spring/Summer Semester: May to August

Browse the current Continuing Education Catalogue for details.

How do I register for courses?

Registration usually opens 4-6 weeks prior to the beginning of each semester. Visit the How to Register page for more information.

How much does this cost?

Continuing Education students pay on a per-course basis at the beginning of each term. Exact course costs are listed in the catalogue each term.

Is there any Financial Assistance available?

Students should review the CE Financial Assistance (opens new window) webpage and contact a Financial Advisor directly about bursary and loan opportunities for part-time students.

Do I need Textbooks?

Most courses utilize a variety of web-based resources that will be linked/available through the online learning portal once you are registered. However, if a textbook is required, students can use the Campus Stores webpage to search for their required materials. It is highly recommended you purchase this resource, especially with online learning.

What is a Program of Studies?

The Program of Studies - commonly referred to as 'POS' - indicates all the courses required to graduate with a specific credential. Visit the Program of Studies section of the web for details on the current POS.

What is the meaning of the number of hours given for each course?

The number of hours shown are "equivalent classroom hours". Thus, the workload for a 42 hour distance education course would be about the same as if you took a course through the traditional classroom delivery that is offered three hours per week for 14 weeks. We estimate that the student workload for one course is approximately 6 - 10 hours per week.

How many courses can I take per semester?

You may take as many courses as you want per semester. However, depending on your other time commitments, you may want to start with one or two courses. Then you will get a sense of the workload relative to your personal situation. Also, you must keep in mind the prerequisite courses and ensure that you have satisfied this requirement.

Please keep in mind that you are expected to access your course every 48 hours.

Are the courses self-paced?

No, there are specific start and end dates for these courses and a schedule for courses activities. You must follow the schedule so all course work can be completed on time and be evaluated before your final exam.

Where do I write exams, if there are any?

Final exams are usually written in person at the college during the last week of the course. Approximately six weeks before the end date of the course, you can view exam booking information online. If you live outside a 100 km radius from the college, you are eligible to write with a proctor at another University or College testing centre.

What are the computer requirements?

You need a Pentium Class Computer with Windows 95 or better with an Internet connection and the most up-to-date browser possible. Although all OntarioLearn courses will work with a dial-up connection, it is preferable to have hi-speed access as some files and links are not able for viewing through a dial-up connection.

What are the withdrawal/refund procedures?

Click here to view this information.

How do I receive my final grade?

Approximately four to six weeks after the end of your course, you can log into MoCoMotion and view here. If you are waiting for grades outside of this timeframe, please contact the Academic Records & Registration Department.

How can I apply for an Exemption?

Students who have taken courses similar to those in the Program of Studies at Mohawk College or another academic institution may apply for an exemption to receive credit for the course(s). Exemptions are processed online after students have been accepted to the program. A valid student number is required. It is recommended that students have successfully completed at least one core course prior to applying for an exemption. Note that exemptions are granted by the individual academic area. Click here (opens new window) to read more about the exemption process.

Can I get credit for Prior Learning/Experience?

Students who have experience inside and outside the traditional classroom, in volunteer and work settings, maybe eligible to receive credit for their learning. Credit for Prior Learning is processed after students have been accepted to the program. A valid student number is required. Visit the Prior Learning Assessment & Recognition website (opens new window) for more information.

What services are available to me during my studies? Counseling? Tutoring? Career Advising?

Continuing education and part-time students can access many services through Mohawk College. Details about Accessible Learning, Dispute Resolution, Library and Technology Support, Resume Writing, etc. can be found on the CE Student Services webpage (opens new window).

How do I apply to Graduate?

When you receive your final grades for all mandatory courses in a program, you may request your Certificate. Click here for further information.

When is the graduation ceremony?

The Continuing Education Convocation ceremony takes place in October. Certificate students can participate in this ceremony, regardless of what semester they complete their studies. However, students who finish in the winter of spring may apply to receive their certificate sooner by mail. All students must register by the deadline to apply: August for the October ceremony. Once applied, all students are responsible for ensuring their name appears on the list prior to convocation. More information is available on the Preparing for Graduation webpage (opens new window).

What is the difference between the online courses and the full-time post-secondary certificate?

There are no differences in the quality and the content of the courses. You will receive the same credits and certification through either method. However, the online courses are "purchased" from either Seneca or Algonquin Colleges. The field placements will be coordinated by a Mohawk College faculty member and are offered every spring.

Who can I talk to if I still have questions?

After reviewing this webpage and the FAQs, don't hesitate to email us if you still have questions.