Pre-Admission Test for all Practical Nursing, PSW to PN, OTA/PTA and Cardiovascular Technology Applicants
- In addition to the successful completion of all admission requirements, all applicants to Mohawk's Practical Nursing, PSW to PN, OTA/PTA or Cardiovascular Technology programs must complete a mandatory standardized Health Occupation Aptitude Examination (HOAE) as part of the selection process.
- You must write the HOAE prior to the deadline.
- There is a fee of $50.00 to write this test.
- Offers of admission to these highly competitive programs will be made based on a combination of test results and ranking of academic history.
Once you receive your letter of acknowledgement, please contact the Pre-Admission Testing Centre at 905-575-2448 to book your test. The Pre-Admission Testing Centre hours are Monday to Friday from 8:30am - 4:30pm.
- If you are an applicant from another college and require HOAE version 3, please call the Pre-Admission Testing Centre at 905-575-2448. Please identify yourself as an external applicant.
You may e-mail hoae [at] mohawkcollege.ca if you have any questions related to test procedures.
Booking & Deadlines
For specific HOAE deadline dates, please contact the Pre-Admission Testing Centre at 905-575-2448.
- HOAE sample questions (opens new window).
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Practical Nursing Program Information Page
- Additional HOAE Information (opens new window)
- Off-Site Testing
- Transferring Your HOAE Results to and from Mohawk
- Understanding Your HOAE Results (opens new window)
Are you an Applicant with a disability?
If you are an applicant with a disability, testing accommodations may be arranged with appropriate documentation. Please call the Pre-Admission Testing Centre at 905-575-2448 as soon as possible to indicate that you require testing accommodations.
Step By Step Instructions
- Book your HOAE testing date and time.
- Prepare for the HOAE using our on-line resources (above).
- Arrive 30-60 minutes early to ensure adequate time to park, locate the testing room and process payment.
- Provide the testing centre with photo identification and proof of payment (receipt provided to you at The Square).
- Write your HOAE. The maximum time allowed for the test is 2 hours and 10 minutes.
- Instructions on how to access your HOAE results will be provided to you upon test completion.
HOAE Test Fee
A test fee of $50 is due prior to testing.
If testing during regular business hours (8:30am – 4:30pm), the test payment of $50 must be made at The Square (C101) prior to testing. Acceptable methods of payment are Cash, Money Order, Debit, Visa or MasterCard.
If you are writing the HOAE in the evening or on a Saturday, you may pay prior to your test time at The Square (C101) during regular business hours, or bring payment to your scheduled exam appointment (if testing after 4:30 pm). If payment is brought to the appointment, the only acceptable method of payment is a Money Order or Cashier’s Cheque made payable to 'Mohawk College.'
Things to bring with you to the College
- Photo identification (Driver's License, Health Card, Student Card, Passport)
- An acceptable method of payment and/or the receipt provided to you after payment is made at The Square.
- The HOAE can only be written once per application cycle. There are no re-writes.
- All testing must be completed by the deadline. Testing dates and spaces are limited. To guarantee a test date, please book your testing appointment as soon as possible.
- No external aids, including calculators and dictionaries, are permitted.
All students with disabilities who require testing accommodation for writing the HOAE will be required to identify when calling to book the test.