Mandatory Pre-Admission Test for all Practical Nursing, OTA/PTA and Cardiovascular Technology Applicants
- In addition to the successful completion of all admission requirements, all applicants to Mohawk's Practical Nursing, PSW to PN, OTA/PTA or Cardiovascular Technology programs must complete a mandatory standardized Health Occupation Aptitude Examination (HOAE) as part of the selection process.
- You must write the HOAE prior to the deadline.
- Due to COVID-19 and the changes in delivery to this exam, there is a fee of up to $100 US to write this test.
- Offers of admission to these highly competitive programs will be made based on a combination of test results and ranking of academic history.
If you are an applicant from another college and require HOAE version 3, please be advised that, due to the current situation with COVID-19, Mohawk College will be unable to administer the HOAE to non-Mohawk applicants.
You may e-mail hoae [at] mohawkcollege.ca if you have any questions related to test procedures.
Booking & Deadlines
Offers of admission to this highly competitive program will be made based on a combination of HOAE test results and ranking of academic history
- Applicants who apply by equal consideration for the Fall term will be contacted to write HOAE in late January to early February
- Applicants who apply by equal consideration for the Winter term will be contacted to write HOAE in late June to early July
For those who apply after the equal consideration date, should space permit in the program, the college may consider further rounds of testing
- HOAE sample questions (opens new window).
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Practical Nursing Program Information Page
- Additional HOAE Information (opens new window)
- Off-Site Testing
- Transferring Your HOAE Results to and from Mohawk
- Understanding Your HOAE Results (opens new window)
Are you an Applicant with a disability?
If you are an applicant with a disability, testing accommodations may be arranged with appropriate documentation. Please call the Pre-Admission Testing Centre at 905-575-2448 as soon as possible to indicate that you require testing accommodations.
Step By Step Instructions
- You will receive an email from the Testing Centre informing you of booking/testing deadlines and how to request your appointment
- An online link will be provided with instructions of how to request your appointment
- Due to the current situation with COVID-19, in-person testing is unavailable. The HOAE test provider, PSB, has facilitated the delivery of HOAE through PearsonVue. There may be an opportunity to write your HOAE testing online or through a Pearson test Centre.
- Once you have completed your request, you will receive an email from PearsonVue or Pearson Test Centre. You will be provided further instructions regarding registration and requirements while testing.
- Prepare for the HOAE using our on-line resources (above).
- Write your HOAE. The maximum time allowed for the test is 2 hours and 10 minutes.
- Instructions on how to access your HOAE results will be provided to you upon test completion.
HOAE Test Fee
After submitting your request to write the HOAE with Mohawk College, applicants will receive communication through the proctor, PearsonVue, with instruction of how to write their test virtually or through a PearsonVue test Centre. During the pre-registration process, applicants will be required to process their non-refundable testing fee of $85USD or $100USD.
Things to bring with to your HOAE appointment
- Photo identification (Driver's License, Health Card, Student Card, Passport)
- The HOAE can only be written once per application cycle. There are no re-writes.
- All testing must be completed by the deadline. Testing dates and spaces are limited. To guarantee a test date, please book your testing appointment as soon as possible.
- No external aids, including calculators and dictionaries, are permitted.
All students with disabilities who require testing accommodation for writing the HOAE will be required to call the Testing Centre at 905-575-2448 prior to requesting their appointment.