Assessments for Success
The Assessments for Success is a post-admission assessment for first semester incoming students.
Email: assessment [at] mohawkcollege.ca
Congratulations on your offer of admission and welcome to Mohawk College!
The next step to starting your program is to complete your online Assessments for Success. The assessment is required for first semester Mohawk students to assess your communication skill level, and ensure students have the resources needed to start their program successfully.
The Communications Assessment is comprised of a writing prompt, which is to be done online through your Mohawk College MyCanvas account.
A) Writing Assessment
This test measures your ability to write effectively, which is critical to academic success.
Your writing sample will be assessed by a professor on the basis of how effectively it communicates a whole message to the readers for the stated purpose. Your essay will be given a holistic score that represents how clearly and effectively you expressed your position. The following six characteristics of writing will be considered:
- Purpose and Focus: The extent to which you present information in a unified and coherent manner, clearly addressing the issue.
- Organization and Structure: The extent to which you order and connect ideas.
- Development and Support: The extent to which you develop and support ideas.
- Sentence Variety and Style: The extent to which you craft sentences and paragraphs demonstrating control of vocabulary, voice and structure.
- Mechanical Conventions: The extent to which you express ideas using Standard Written English.
- Critical Thinking: The extent to which you communicate a point of view and demonstrate reasoned relationships among ideas.
How to Book
Students that require the Assessments for Success will receive an email from the Testing Centre. Please follow the instructions provided in the email to book your appointment.
- Prepare for your assessment by reviewing the Assessment Procedures and Sample Questions
- Arrive at the assessment online session 15 minutes before your scheduled date and time.
- Write your assessment.
- Receive your results and any developmental work you may be required to complete immediately following the assessment.
Please note: Assessments will be written in a remote virtual environment.
All students with disabilities who require testing accommodation for writing the Assessments for Success should contact Accessible Learning Services Reception at 905-575-2211 for assistance. Students will be directed to complete a Confidential Intake Form and scheduled into an Accessible Learning Services Group Intake Session. Full Accessible Learning Services Registration Information is available at Accessible Learning Services.
Assessment Procedures and Technical Requirements
The Assessments for Success will be administered through Mohawk College's LMS platform - MyCanvas. The technologies Respondus Lockdown Browser and Respondus Monitor will be used during your test. A Zoom Support call will be available for students, until approximately 15 minutes after their scheduled start time, for those who require assistance.
- To ensure you have the minimum capability to permit virtual proctoring and access Zoom, you must follow the steps below:
- Go to Zoom test
- Click ‘Join’
- Test your microphone, speaker and ability to share your screen
- You will be required to install LockDown Browser onto your computer. This will only need to be completed once. Please see the link below:
- Log into MyCanvas by following the steps below (MyCanvas may not allow access until two days prior to your assessment):
- Go to Mycanvas
- Input your Mohawk ID and password
*Please note: Google Chrome is the recommended browser for using this platform.
Students must meet all the mandatory requirements, in order to complete their assessment through virtual proctoring:
- Access to a computer or laptop (no tablets, iPads or Chromebooks)
- Stable internet or WIFI
- Quiet space with no disruptions
- Webcam and microphone
Please ensure you have one of the following operating systems for MyCanvas, Respondus Lockdown and Respondus Monitor:
- Windows 7 or newer
- Mac OSX 10.10 or newer
Day of test:
- Sit in a quiet place where you will be undisturbed while testing.
- Clear a workspace for your monitor, mouse and keyboard. All other items must be removed from your table/desk.
- Be sure to have your photo ID ready. You will need to take a picture of the identification prior to beginning your test.
- The Communications Skills assessment will be provided to your Communications Course instructor, therefore, it must be taken seriously.
- Take any necessary breaks before your assessment, as you will not be permitted to take breaks prior to your assessment during your assessment.
- You will receive an email, 15-30 minutes prior to your scheduled start time with login instructions as well as an opportunity to join a Zoom support call if you require assistance.
What to bring with you to the assessment:
- Photo ID (driver's license, student card or passport)
What NOT to bring with you to the assessment:
Do not bring any unauthorized aids such as:
- Cell Phone
- Additional laptop or electronic devices in addition to the computer being used for testing
Writing the Assessment using Remote Monitoring Technology:
In order for Mohawk College to provide students the opportunity to complete their Assessments for Success during the COVID-19 pandemic, online proctoring through Respondus Lockdown Browser and Monitor are being used to assist with remote testing process.
Respondus Monitor will capture your video and audio while Respondus Lockdown Browser restricts computer activity beyond your test such as web surfing in order to protect academic integrity. The audio and video collected by Respondus Monitor will be used to ensure that the assessments are being taken in a secure environment. Access to the recording of the testing session will be restricted to Mohawk College Testing Centre staff and designated Liberal Studies faculty who may further review and access the information to ensure the integrity of assessments. Recordings of assessments will be uploaded to both Respondus Monitor and Mohawk College servers. Such recordings may be reviewed by the Mohawk College Testing Center proctors, or, appropriate Mohawk College Liberal Studies instructors as appropriate. Recordings may be stored in the United States for a period of 1 year at which point all recordings will be deleted from both Respondus and Mohawk College Servers.
Students will have the opportunity to meet with Mohawk College Testing Centre Staff, through a Zoom Support Link, for assistance prior to beginning their assessment.
Students will be recorded via Respondus for the duration of the assessment. During the course of the recording, Respondus will:
- Restrict web browsing using screen-locking technology;
- Restrict access to other computer applications; and
- Facilitate automated video review and flagging processes.
Your Writing assessment will be provided to your instructor prior to the first day of classes. You will receive an email with more detailed information within 1 week of completing your assessment.
Please use the following steps to access the assessment sample question:
- Visit Mycanvas
- Enter your MyMohawk credentials (9 digit student ID and password).
- You can reset a forgotten password
- Or call the Helpdesk at 905-575-2199
- Click on Courses (left menu) and Fall 2021 Assessments for Success
- Click the Assessment Sample Question link on the front page to receive a writing sample question
- In order to write the Sample Question and Assessment, you will require Respondus Lockdown browser
For a manual version of the sample questions, please click the following link:
Assessment Sample Questions (PDF, 31kb)
Please note: the sample assessment response will not be graded