Accident Insurance Coverage for Students on Unpaid Work Placement
All Mohawk College students on unpaid work placements as part of their program are covered by some form of accident insurance. It is important that we bring the following information to your attention as the unpaid work placement Host Employer.
Should an accident/incident occur, all students are covered by either WSIB or Private Insurance (based upon which method the host employer covers their regular employees) through the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities Employers are not required to complete and sign the online form unless an on-the-job injury or disease has occurred. If an injury/disease does occur, then all WSIB procedures must be followed. For any questions about this process, please see the Government of Ontario (opens new window) website.
Certain requirements related to reporting the injury must be completed by the placement employer. Your cooperation is requested.
- Please inform Mohawk College faculty or the placement officer of the incident.
- If FIRST AID only is required, learn about WSIB insurance and forward it to the appropriate faculty or placement officer at Mohawk College.
- Complete the WSIB form on the Provincial Government (opens new window) website.
- If a student is injured, exposed to communicable disease or a hazardous substance and REQUIRES TREATMENT BY A PHYSICIAN, or loses time from their placement beyond date of accident or exposure, the following forms must be completed in order for that student to receive compensation:
- Accident report at the placement or work site
- Letter of Authorization to Represent Placement Employer (completed by Medical Services - completion of this form authorizes Mohawk College to act on behalf of placement employer when information and forms are submitted to WSIB and insurance agencies - also ensures the placement employer will not incur any costs)
- Completed Accident Reports should be sent by fax or mail to:
Mohawk College Medical Services
135 Fennell Avenue West
Hamilton ON L9C E05
Thank you for your assistance and continued interest in Mohawk College and our students
Student Placement - Insurance FAQs
For further information please contact Health Services.