Learn more about hiring students
As a Hiring Manager, you play an important role in ensuring students have meaningful on-campus employment experiences. Learn what you need to do to ensure their time in your department is beneficial for all.
Hiring Manager process
Request for Position
- The Hiring Manager must apply for a position by the posted deadline date.
- The Position Description will be reviewed by HR.
- Hiring Managers will be contacted if changes are required to their position or to determine the eligibility of the position for CSEP funding.
- Hiring Managers will be notified via email, through CareerReady, if their position has been approved or denied.
- Departments are not guaranteed a position.
- Do not offer employment to a student if your position was approved - students must complete the application process and be eligible before they can be considered for a position.
- All approved positions will be posted through CareerReady for students to apply.
- Postings will be based on the Job Description provided in the position application.
- A listing of all available positions will be available on the CSEP Position Listing website
To be eligible for a CSEP-funded position, a student must meet the following criteria:
- Registered in a full-time post-secondary program or in a continuing education diploma or certificate program
- Domestic or International student
- Complete the Financial Assistance Profile and demonstrate financial need (Mandatory)
Students must complete the Financial Assistance Profile prior to being considered for a CSEP position so that financial need can be determined.
- Be in good academic standing
- Have a valid Social Insurance Number (SIN), and
- Have a valid work permit (International only)
Note: It is important to wait until eligibility has been verified. Do not offer employment to a student until you have completed the formal hiring process
Students apply for Campus Student Employment Program (CSEP) through CareerReady, a one-stop career portal used across the campus by students and alumni. Current registered students will log into the CareerReady dashboard, upload their resume and apply for CSEP positions from across the institution.
For more information, including how to access step-by-step instructions, see the CSEP Information for Student website.
- Applications for students who meet the CSEP eligibility requirements will be sent to Hiring Managers via email, through CareerReady, after the job postings have closed and eligibility has been confirmed.
- Hiring Managers are responsible for:
- Interviewing and hiring the candidate.
- Submitting all completed documentation for new student employees.
- Ensuring students can support at college events, including Convocation, Destination College, Open Houses, Orientation, and Special Events.
- The student and hiring manager will be required to attend a mandatory orientation session at the start of the program (invites will be sent closer to the date)
- Students will not be funded by CSEP until appropriate documentation is submitted and approval is received. If your student works prior to approval, the cost will be against the Hiring Manager's cost centre account.
Note: Contracts will be shared with the student and hiring manager through DocuSign, once the student has accepted the Offer of Employment in CareerReady. Finalized contracts will be shared with the CSEP Program Manager and Human Resources for the creation of a hiring record. Once complete a confirmation email will be shared with the student and Hiring Manager to confirm the employee's start date.
- Hiring Managers, or designate, are responsible for the day-to-day supervision of their CSEP student and:
- Meeting with their student to review expectations of the student’s position and the requirements.
- Ensuring an appropriate work location and technology are made available to students.
- Completing a progress review and providing performance feedback to the student.
- Ensuring the student submits their electronic timesheets bi-weekly and approve the student's timesheets to meet Payroll deadlines.
Note: Replacement of a student throughout the term is only permitted if approved by the program administrator.
Shift Premium Notice
ATTENTION ALL 35HRS/WK CSEP HIRING MANAGERS
Students working the 35hrs/wk Full-Time Campus Student Employment Program may be eligible for Shift Premium pay.
If a student is scheduled to work between the hours of 5 pm and midnight, they are entitled to a shift Premium of $0.75 per hour. For hours worked from midnight to 6 am students are paid a shift premium of $1.00 per hour.
The Shift Premium Form must be completed by the Hiring Manager and signed by the Hiring Manager and the student. The form must be forwarded to the CSEP Program Manager at csepjobs [at] mohawkcollege.ca. Once received, the account information will be entered and the Shift Premium Form will be submitted to Payroll for processing.
Visit the Payroll microsite in MyMohawk for the form.
The students shall be entitled to provisions of Article 7.5 Shift Premium. The College shall pay a shift premium of seventy-five (0.75) cents per hour for all regular hours worked between 5 pm and midnight and one dollar (1.00) per hour for all regular hours worked between midnight and 6 am. Where more than fifty percent (50%) of the hours worked on any regular shift fall within a period attracting the higher premium, the higher premium shall be paid for all regular hours worked.
The 35 hrs/wk students are not eligible for overtime. Under the Campus Student Employment Program, students are eligible to work a maximum of 35 hours per week.
CSEP Position Request
Requests will open shortly for the Spring 2023 semester, check back in regularly for further details.
Email csepjobs [at] mohawkcollege.ca