Horticulture Technician - 441C
- State-of-the-art facilities
- “Earn while you learn” training model, combining on-the-job and in-school training
- In-school training lead by faculty and staff who are experienced, licensed journeypersons
- You may qualify for income support while in school through Employment Insurance Canada benefits or training allowance
What you'll learn
- Acquire training in safe workplace practices including dealing with on-site conditions, emergencies and hazards, according to federal and provincial pertinent safety legislation and municipal legal requirements.
- Basic scheduled, preventative and on-going maintenance procedures for powered horticultural equipment, according to respective federal, provincial and municipal legal requirements.
- Water quality, plant water requirements and local conservation standards, water stewardship principles, basic irrigation systems and procedures according to federal, provincial and municipal legal requirements.
Acquire specialized training in turf grass establishment and cultivation practices including monitoring turf grass quality, plant health care and Integrated Pest Management (IPM) techniques used in landscape construction (Softscape Installation) and grounds/golf course maintenance operations according to respective federal, provincial and municipal legal requirements.
Explore building walkways, patios, driveways, retaining walls and planting of various shrubs, trees and centrepiece plants.
Master soft skills such as effective communications, team work, networking and professionalism.
Master health and safety legislation that will serve as a transferable skill to be used in any industry.
Understand important ingredients for the success of plants including plant technology, root systems and the characteristics of the soil.
Thinking about an apprenticeship program? Learn how it works.
Explore our many videos, online resources and program options within the Open House Plus website.
We’re here for you to support applications and admissions by providing online and virtual service.
Applied and have questions?
The admissions team is available to help, you can contact them via Admissions or by phone at 1-844-767-6871.
Haven’t applied and need help?
Contact us or phone 905-575-2460.
Offers of classroom training are issued by the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities (MTCU) to registered apprentices who are members in good standing with the Ontario College of Trades (OCOT).
Please contact your Employment and Training Consultant at the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities availability to add Mohawk College as your school preference.
Learn more about Apprenticeship.
Program of Studies
Course Overview & Descriptions
Click on the course title for a course description.
How you’ll gain skills
This apprenticeship program consists of 6,120 hours:
- On-the-Job Training Duration: 5,400 hours with your employer
- n-School Training Duration: 720 hours at Mohawk College
- View the training standard for this trade.
Program Learning Outcomes for apprenticeship programs, are defined within the Curriculum Training Standard for each trade, and set out the essential learning that a student must achieve before being deemed ready to graduate.
The Curriculum Standards are developed by the Ontario College of Trades in consultation with representatives from the trade and Training Delivery Agent instructors.
Your future career options:
- Landscape Technician
- Lawncare Specialist
- Horticulture Technician
Where you could work includes:
- Nursery Production
- Landscape Contracting
- Grounds Management
- Landscape Designer/Architect
- Lawn Care
- Interior Plantscaping
- Irrigation Contracting
- Golf Courses
- Municipal Parks
- Botanical Gardens, Arboreta
- Education and Research
Opportunities for grads:
- Certificate of Qualification (C of Q)
Student Success Advisors
Student Success Advisors
Student Success Advisors assist current students to transition to college life, co-creating an academic success plan, advice on course selection, changing programs, or referrals to specialized support services. If you need help applying to Mohawk, contact Admissions (for International Students, please contact International Admissions).