Social Insurance Number (SIN) Collection

The Registrar’s Office may request, collect, and use your Social Insurance Number (SIN) for one or more of the specific enrolment or financial assistance purposes detailed below. Applicants or prospective students cannot provide their SIN. You must be actively enrolled as a student to be able to provide your SIN.

The Registrar's Office may communicate with you regarding a requirement to provide your SIN. Your SIN can be provided securely through MyMohawk. From the main menu select the Finances tab and click Submit or Verify My Social Insurance Number (SIN). 

Use of the Social Insurance Number Collection form on MyMohawk to enter or validate your SIN is voluntary. The collection form on MyMohawk will assess whether your SIN is already on file or required. If your SIN is not requested or required for one of the below reasons you are not obligated to provide it. You may be presented with a message stating that your SIN is not required.

Please contact us using the Email Ask form if you have any questions or concerns. Do not provide your SIN by email or telephone. Do not include your SIN on the Email Ask form.

Collection purposes 

  1. T2202 Tuition and Enrolment Certificate
    The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) requires that all Canadian post-secondary institutions collect the SIN for students eligible to receive the T2202 Tuition and Enrolment Certificate (formerly T2202A). This requirement is effective as of the 2019 tax year. Additional information about the student SIN collection requirement for the T2202 can be found on the SIN Collection FAQ web page .
  2. COVID Emergency Bursary
    Your SIN is required for the preparation of your T4A Statement of Pension, Retirement, Annuity, and Other Income. The college is required to provide a T4A for all students who have been awarded a COVID Emergency Bursary. For taxation purposes, your SIN will only be requested once you have been awarded a COVID Emergency Bursary. For more information on the bursary visit the COVID Emergency Bursary Application webpage.
  3. Awards, Scholarships and Bursaries
    Your SIN is required for the preparation of your income tax documents as the College is required to provide a T4A for all students who have been issued an award, scholarship or bursary. Your SIN will only be requested once you have been approved for an award, scholarship or bursary, including for accelerated program such as Personal Support Worker (995). Bursaries include the MSA Transit Bursary, International COVID Mandatory Testing Reimbursement Bursary, Quarantine Help Fund, and Student Quarantine Package Bursary. For support and contact options visit the Financial Assistance web page. For more information on the awards application visit the Scholarships and Bursaries web page.
  4. Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP)
    Your SIN may be collected for the processing of Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP) applications and the distribution of OSAP funding. All communication and data sharing between Mohawk and the National Student Loan Centre require the SIN as the main identifier of the student.
  5. Continuing Education Registration
    You will be prompted to enter your SIN if you registered in a Continuing Education Course if you are a Canadian Citizen, resident, or international student studying within Canada. This will ensure your SIN is on file when any relevant tax forms are issued.

The above reasons constitute the acceptable use of your SIN when collected by the Registrar's Office. For more information regarding the Government of Canada directive to educational institutions on how the SIN can be collected, used, and disclosed please visit the Government of Canada web site.