Mohawk College offers a range of services to ensure you are informed of your options and supported in choosing your best course of action.
Before deciding where to start, consider taking some time to understand your rights to confidentiality. Mohawk College will make every effort to maintain the confidentiality of all persons involved in a disclosure or report of sexual violence, however, some limits to confidentiality do apply, depending on the service you choose to work with.
Mohawk College Security Services
24 Hour Emergency Phone: 905-575-2003
Website: Mohawk College Security Services
Email: security [at] mohawkcollege.ca (security[at]mohawkcollege[dot]ca)
Mohawk College Security Services responds to calls 24 hours per day, 7 days per week, and works closely with employees and students to respond to issues related to sexual violence. Security Services:
- Will attend any campus to receive disclosures and reports.
- Develops safety plans
- Conducts risk assessments and investigations
- Provides information and evidence to inform decision making
- Collaborates with local police, where appropriate
- Provides risk management tools, including:
- Mohawk Safety App
- Assistance Phones
- Hallway Intercoms
- Classroom Phones
- Video Surveillance Systems
- Security Foot Patrols
- Other tools and resources as appropriate
Security Services may be required to share information obtained during the reporting process; and will only share information with individuals with a legitimate need for such access. Confidentiality cannot be assured in circumstances where a risk assessment determines that a risk to an individual or the College Community exists. Refer to the Reporting section of this website for more detailed information about confidentiality and reporting incidents of sexual violence.
Student Rights and Responsibilities
The Student Rights and Responsibilities Office provides support and information about your options related to sexual violence, regardless of when and where the violence occurred. You are not required to disclose or file a report in order to access support. We can help you to:
- Explore your options and connect to resources at Mohawk and in the community
- Understand your reporting options
- Arrange academic considerations
- Develop a safety plan
- Understand your rights and responsibilities if you are alleged to have engaged in sexual violence
- Make choices about what to do in response to disclosed or reported incidents of sexual violence
The information you share with the Student Rights and Responsibilities Office is confidential. Your consent is required in order to share information for referral to additional services.
There are, however, some limitations to this confidentiality. Confidentiality cannot be assured in circumstances where risk of harm to self, other or the College community are perceived to exist.
You can consult with us on any questions you have, or refer to the Reporting section of this website for more detailed information about confidentiality and reporting incidents of sexual violence.
All services have moved online
Email: SRRO [at] mohawkcollege.ca (SRRO[at]mohawkcollege[dot]ca)
Website: Student Rights and Responsibilities Office website
Mohawk College Counselling Services are available Monday to Friday between 8:30 am to 4:30 pm. Services include:
- Confidential, professional psychotherapy and emotional support
- Assistance with safety planning
- Referrals to other helpful resources, including medical services
- Support obtaining accommodations
- Access to counsellors who approach their practice from an Indigenous or Intercultural perspective
- Crisis management
- Group support options
All information shared in counselling is confidential, with the following exceptions.
We are required to disclose confidential information to parties (which may include regulated health professionals, friends, parents/guardians or caregivers, and other Mohawk staff) if any of the following conditions exist:
- You are an imminent danger to yourself or others;
- There is a threat to the safety or welfare of a minor (any person under 16 years of age);
- Your file is subpoenaed as part of a court proceeding.
All services have moved online
Connect with our virtual Front Desk to explore your options:
Email: counselling [at] mohawkcollege.ca (counselling[at]mohawkcollege[dot]ca)
Website: Mohawk College Counselling Services
Residence Life Staff
Residence Life Staff are available 24/7 to provide support and resources to students in residence spaces who are affected by sexual violence. We provide:
- Safe living arrangements, when necessary
- Referrals to the Counsellor in Residence and other Mohawk College supports
- Follow up support to students living in residence
- Thorough and regular rounds of the building to enhance student safety
- Assistance connecting with Mohawk Security Services as needed
Residence Life Staff have an obligation to report to Security Services that an incident of sexual violence occurred, but will not share identifying information without the survivor’s consent; unless a risk is perceived to the safety of any member of the Mohawk College community.
Email: info [at] mohawkresidence.ca (info[at]mohawkresidence[dot]ca)
Website: Mohawk Residence
Mohawk College Residence
245 Fennell Avenue West
Hamilton, ON L9C 7V7