Policy Number: AS-2007-2016
Policy Title: Academic Hiring (Degrees)
Policy Owner: Vice President, Academic
Effective Date: February 24, 2016
On this page:
- Application and Scope
- Accountability and Compliance
- Policy Revision Date
- Specific Links
This policy presents a framework for the hiring of academic staff members and performance management for College degree programs.
This policy applies to all degree level programs delivered by Mohawk College.
“Faculty member” means a person who is employed by the College and teaches in a degree level program.
“Degree Level Program” refers to a program that has been approved by the Ontario Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities (MTCU) and Postsecondary Education Quality Assessment Board (PEQAB) that leads to a Bachelor’s Degree qualification awarded at the completion of the program, as defined by the Ontario Qualifications Framework.
Mohawk College ensures that faculty teaching in degree programs have the capacity to deliver the quality of education necessary for students to attain the stated and necessary learning outcomes.
5.1 Accountability Framework
This policy has been approved by the Senior Leadership Team.
The Deans responsible for degree programs, in conjunction with the Chief Human Resources Officer, will ensure compliance with this policy.
6.1 Faculty Credentials
- All faculty teaching in a degree program will have a credential that is, at a minimum, one equivalent level higher than the credential of the program being taught.
- Human Resources will maintain evidence, sourced directly from the granting agency, of the highest academic credentials achieved and any required professional credentials for all faculty teaching in a degree program.
- Human Resources will develop a procedure for verifying the equivalency of foreign credentials for all faculty teaching in a degree program.
6.2 Faculty Performance
- All faculty teaching in degree programs will have their performance reviewed on an annual basis. The methodology employed will be consistent with the Faculty Development Performance Plan.
- As part of the annual performance review, faculty members are required to highlight areas of learning and development to be undertaken in order to remain current in the skills or professional designations required to perform their role.
- All students in degree programs will have the opportunity to complete a course evaluation for each course in the program in accordance with the Student Feedback on Teaching Policy (AS-2003-2013). Student feedback will be used in the assessment of faculty performance.
6.3 Faculty Professional Development
- The College will offer flexible professional development opportunities for faculty. Professional development programs will promote career development, instructional innovation and technological skills.
- Professional development will be administered in accordance with the Professional Development for Staff Policy (CS-1312-2005).
6.4 Faculty Workload
- Faculty workloads will be assigned in accordance with the current Academic Employees collective agreement.
6.5 Faculty Office Hours
- Faculty teaching in degree programs will designate office hours each week where they are available to students outside of class. These office hours will be communicated to students and will be in accordance with the Academic employee’s collective agreement.
7.1 Revision Date
This policy will be reviewed and updated every three years or earlier if required.
- AS-2003-2013 Student Feedback on Teaching
- CS-1305-2006 Recruiting and Selection
- CS-1306-1979 Conflict of Interest
- CS-1312-2005 Professional Development for Staff
- Academic Employees Collective Agreement
- Ontario Qualifications Framework (opens new window)
- The Post Secondary Education Quality Assessment Board, “Handbook for Ontario Colleges”.
World Education Services-Canada (WES Canada)
45 Charles Street East, Suite 700
Toronto, Ontario M4Y 1S2 Canada
Tel.: +1 416 972-0070
Fax: +1 416 972-9004
Toll-free: +1 866 343-0070 (from outside the 416 area code)
E-mail: ontario [at] wes.org (ontario[at]wes[dot]org)
Web site: WES Canada (opens new window)
Comparative Education Service (CES)
University of Toronto
315 Bloor Street West
Toronto, Ontario M5S 1A3 Canada
Tel.: +1 416 978-2190
Fax: +1 416 978-7022
Web site: Comparative Education Service (CES) (opens new window)
International Credential Assessment Service of Canada (ICAS)
100 Stone Road West, Suite 303
Guelph, Ontario N1G 5L3 Canada
Tel.: +1 519 763-7282
Toll-free: +1 800 321-6021
Fax: +1 519 763-6964
E-mail: info [at] icascanada.ca (info[at]icascanada[dot]ca)
Web site: ICAS Canada (opens new window)
Canadian Council of Professional Engineers (CCPE)
Engineering International-Education Assessment Program (EIEAP)
180 Elgin Street, Suite 1100
Ottawa, Ontario K2P 2K3 Canada
Tel.: +1 613 232-2474
Fax: +1 613 230-5759
E-mail: evaluation [at] ccpe.ca (evaluation[at]ccpe[dot]ca)
Web site: CCPE (opens new window)