Policy Title: Program Curriculum Policy
Policy Owner: Vice President Academic
Effective Date: May 14, 2007
Last Revised: October 17, 2018
On this page:
- Application and Scope
- Accountability and Compliance
- Policy Revision Date
- Specific Links
This policy presents a framework for the creation, approval, maintenance, storage, retrieval and distribution of program information relative to all programs and courses offered by Mohawk College.
This policy applies to all Ontario credentials offered by Mohawk College with the exception of collaborative programs. Collaborative program information may be presented in an alternative form that meets the requirements of the partner institution.
“Course Outline” is a contract between the college and the student that provides information on a unit of curriculum presented by the College as a learning experience. A course outline provides a description of the course, learning outcomes to be achieved, assessments, content, and learning resources.
“Curriculum Map(s)” are a tool that shows how learning outcomes are aligned across the program and lead to the achievement of program standards.
“Learning Plan” accompanies the course outline and provides details of the weekly themes and topics, learner engagement strategies and assessment techniques congruent with the course learning outcomes.
“Program Learning Outcomes” describe the essential learning required for the completion of a credential.
“Program Standard” is a document produced by the Ministry of Colleges, and Universities (MCU) that sets out the essential learning that a student must achieve before being deemed ready to graduate. A program standard applies to all programs of instruction in an identified category regardless of the funding source and, for most programs, consists of a vocational standard, an essential employability skills standard, and general education requirements. Prior to graduation, students must achieve all three parts of the program standard.
“Program Standards Renewal” is a regularly scheduled process initiated by MTCU, through which approved program standards are reviewed and updated, based on input from employers and representatives from Colleges which offer the respective program under review.
“Program of Studies” is an official list of all the required courses to earn the credential for the program and also identifies course equivalencies and prerequisites.
- Program Information, including Program Outcomes, Programs of Study, Course Outlines, Learning Plans, Curriculum Maps and Admission Requirements, are recognized as critical tools within the quality framework for college programming, ensuring that staff, faculty and students are provided with a relevant overview of the learning to be achieved within specific programs and courses.
- All Ontario College certificate, diploma, advanced diploma and graduate certificate programs offered by the College will conform to the Minister’s Binding Policy Directive Framework for Programs of Instruction, the Ontario College Quality Assurance Service Credentials Framework, college system standards and programming principles and external accrediting bodies where applicable.
- Programs developed and delivered by the College will maintain consistency with published Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities (MTCU) program standards and titling principles where they exist.
Program Information, including Program Outcomes, Programs of Study, Course Outlines, Learning Plans, Curriculum Maps and Admission Requirements, are considered as contractual agreements between the college and the student, and the college and faculty, that provides information on specific programs and courses presented by the College as a learning experience.
5.1 Accountability Framework
This policy has been approved by the Senior Leadership Team.
The Vice President, Academic is responsible for monitoring compliance to this policy and updating the policy as required.
Academic Quality as a department is accountable and responsible for overseeing program quality across the College.
Each academic area, including Academic Quality, Deans and Associate Deans, is accountable and responsible for the quality of the curriculum in the area.
6.1 General Program Information
- A program information template will be populated for all college programs and will be reviewed on an annual basis and updated as required. This will include, but is not limited to, program title, credential, duration, description, learning outcomes, delivery mode and location(s), general education requirements and work experience opportunities.
- The wording of program and course descriptions will adhere to a set of established guidelines as provided in Appendix A: Guidelines for writing program and course descriptions.
- The program information document will be a public document. Program information will be clearly communicated to students.
- Changes to the program information will be approved at the level and within the timelines identified in Appendix B: Approvals Chart for Program and Course Changes
6.2 Program Learning Outcomes
- Program Learning Outcomes will be established for all programs at Mohawk College.
- Program Learning Outcomes must meet or exceed Program Standards set out by MCU; must be consistent with the requirements of the credentials framework; and must be appropriate to the employment requirements for program graduates.
- Changes to program outcomes will be approved at the level and within the timelines identified in Appendix B: Approvals Chart for Program and Course Changes.
- A curriculum map that demonstrates alignment between course learning outcomes, program learning outcomes and program standards will be produced and updated on an annual basis for each program at the College.
- Changes to the learning outcomes will be approved at the level and within the timelines identified in Appendix B: Approvals Chart for Program and Course Changes
6.3 Essential Employability Skills and General Education
- Programs will be designed to allow students to achieve the essential employability skill requirements and the required non-vocational general education requirements as set in the MCU Framework for Programs of Instruction.
6.4 Programs of Study
- Changes to a Program of Studies will be considered during an annual review period to be determined by the Registrar.
- A proposed change to a program of studies must be accompanied by a plan to support current students that are progressing in a non-traditional manner. Typically this is accomplished by identifying an equivalency.
- Changes to the program of studies will be approved at the level and within the timelines identified in Appendix B: Approvals Chart for Program and Course Changes.
6.5 Course Outlines and Learning Plans
- A course outline and a learning plan, will be developed and maintained for all courses offered by the college.
- Faculty are responsible for maintaining current outlines for courses they teach. Appendix D: Course Outline Self-Evaluation Checklist provides a tool to support faculty in this regard.
- The Course Outline and Learning Plan will:
- communicate expectations to learners concerning course requirements ;
- articulate the learning to be accomplished in the course, through a set of relevant, performance-based course outcomes;
- provide information on how achievement of the learning outcomes will be measured for each component of the course; and
- provide a consistent perspective and framework for all faculty members engaged in teaching the course .
- Changes to course outlines or learning plans will be approved at the level and within the timelines identified in Appendix B: Approvals Chart for Program and Course Changes).
Ownership of program curriculum shall be determined in accordance with the Academic Employees Collective Agreement.
7.1 Revision Date
This policy will be reviewed and updated every five years or earlier if required.
- Appendix A - Guidelines for Writing Program and Course Descriptions (PDF)
- Appendix B - Approvals Chart for Program and Course Changes (PDF)
- Appendix C - Guidelines for Writing Learning Outcomes (PDF)
- Appendix D - Course Outline Self-Evaluation Checklist (PDF)
- AS-2000-2013 – Program Quality Policy
- MCU Framework for Programs of Instruction
- Minister's Binding Policy Directive Framework for Programs of Instruction
- Ontario College Quality Assurance Service Credentials Framework