Policy Number: SS-3106-1978
Policy Title: Access to Student Records
Policy Owner: Registrar
Effective Date: June 1, 1987
Last Revised: February 26, 2016
This policy provides information on requesting permission to access student information and the disclosure of student information to third parties.
2. Application and Scope
This policy applies to all requests to access student records related to admissions, fees, enrollment and academic records. Access to student Health, Accessible Learning Services and Counselling records can be requested through the Health, Counselling and Accessible Learning Service Department and is excluded from this policy.
“Student Record” means a collection of personal information that is organized and capable of being retrieved using a student’s name or student number.
“Good Standing” means the student does not have a hold on their account. Holds can be placed on a student account by College staff for a variety of unresolved items, i.e. tuition and ancillary fees owing; unpaid parking tickets; behaviour issues; suspensions; technology and library equipment loans; academic dishonesty; outstanding financial assistance documents and repayments for emergency loans, etc.
In compliance with the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA), Mohawk College releases student information only with written consent of the student or where required by law.
5. Accountability and Compliance
5.1 Accountability Framework
This policy has been approved by the Senior Leadership Team.
The Registrar is responsible for monitoring this policy and ensuring compliance.
The College will comply with requests for student information, providing that the:
- Student requests access to their records and the student is in good standing;
- Student completes the Authorization for Release of Student Information Form giving consent to provide information to a third party for:
- admissions information;
- confirmation of enrollment, including dates and program information;
- academic details, including details on diploma, degree, certificate and/or acknowledgement awarded; and/or
- fees charged and paid to the College.
- Registrar, or designate, deems providing student information to a third party is in the best interest of the student; and/or
- Information requested is required by law or requested by law enforcement officials i.e. Employment Insurance Act, Court Subpoena, etc.
Information on admissions, registration, student records and academic achievement may also be used for educationally relevant, statistical and research purposes by the College or third parties, where:
- Consent has been obtained from the student;
- If in an aggregate or on an anonymous basis; or
- If permitted by law.
Access by College Employees
College employees will be granted access to student records to complete their employment obligations when necessary and as part of the daily operations of the College.
Access by Government Officials
Access to student records will be given to government officials having the authority to obtain access. Further information regarding the disclosure of information to government entities can be found in the College’s Privacy and Legal Statements.
7. Policy Revision Date
7.1 Revision Date
The Registrar will review this policy every three years or earlier when required.
9. Specific Links
- Mohawk College Privacy and Legal Statements
- Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act
- Statistics Act
- Information on the collection and use of student-level enrolment-related data can be obtained from http://www.tcu.gov.on.ca/.