On June 10, the Ontario government announced that a limited number of in-person programs will be allowed to resume at Ontario colleges next month. While this is encouraging news, it is important to note that this applies to Post Secondary Programs ONLY during the summer months. An apprenticeship update will be provided on July 15.
Apprenticeship Update June 1, 2020
The Marshall School of Skilled Trades & Apprenticeship can now begin the process of planning for the phased re-opening of our campus. The phased re-opening of our campus will allow time to implement any changes that are necessary to protect the health and well-being our students and employees.
At this time, the new Fall training dates have not been determined. We continue to work closely with the Ministry of Labour, Training and Skills Development to determine next steps and will share this information as soon as it is available.
Access to Campus/Lockers - Students may request to gain access to the campus to retrieve items from lockers. Requests are to be made by email to security [at] mohawkcollege.ca. Please indicate the location of the locker, including campus and hallway in your email. Security will advise you of the screening requirements.
Here are some Frequently Asked Questions to help guide you in this transition:
Apprenticeship Grants (AIG, AIG-W & ACG) - The application deadline for all the Apprenticeship Grants is being extended due to these extraordinary circumstances. Please visit the Government of Canada website for more details.
“All-new” Ontario Tools Grant program – The province has indicated that applications will be available in August for apprentices who completed level 1 training on or after April 1, 2020. For more information: https://news.ontario.ca/opo/en/2020/05/ontario-helps-people-impacted-by-covid-19-get-back-to-work.html
On behalf of Mohawk College, we would like to thank our industry partners for your patience and understanding as we all respond to the COVID-19 pandemic. In an effort to support your industry's return to work and in-school apprenticeship training schedules, we continue to take into consideration the health and safety of the workforce and others. We will now be making any changes that are necessary to protect the health and well-being our students and employees. Please do not hesitate to reach out and let us know how we may support you during these times.
If you have any questions please feel free to contact our Apprenticeships Engagement Specialist at louise.stallings [at] mohawkcollege.ca.
Graduation Information for Apprentices
- Apprentices can and should apply to graduate at any point during the year upon completion of their final intake/level, if the application to graduate period is open at that time.
- While apprentices can apply to graduate at any time, a Grad List specific to apprentices is posted only once per year in October.
- Apprentices can only participate in the October convocation ceremony once a year.
- Certificates are issued and mailed (if not picked up) 3 times per year – February, June, & October.
- If apprentices have questions, they should contact toll free 1-844-767-6871 or ask [at] mohawkcollege.ca.
How to apply to graduate:
- Log in to MyMohawk.
- Select the Academics tab.
- Look to the Graduation channel.
- Select Application to Graduate drop-down menu.
- Select Application to Graduate Form, and complete as required.