Have you received an offer of classroom training from the Ministry and secured your seat online through our Payment and Registration website? If so, follow this checklist for a smooth transition to life at Mohawk
Keep in mind that some items may not be relevant to you, and the order the items are completed may vary from student to student. Have questions? Contact an Apprenticeship Specialist.
- Secure a seat based on your Ministry offer and register for in-school training.
- See which Mohawk College campus you are attending on your Ministry issued Offer of Classroom Training.
- Set up your Mohawk email account. Your email address is listed on your confirmation of registration email.
- Get started with MyMohawk. Check out the MyMohawk guide for help logging in for the first time, resetting your password and more.
- Determine how you’ll get to campus for your in-person labs.
- Sign up for Mohawk Security Alert Messenger (SAM) Service and download the Mohawk Safety App.
- Review how to access campus and keep up to date with the COVID-19 updates and information.
- Stay connected with the Ministry and see their available resources.
Start your training
- On your first day of in-person labs be sure to bring your CSA clear safety glasses, CSA steel toe boots, and basic hand tools.
- Upload your photo to get your ONE Card, if you do not already have one – this is your student ID that is required to enter campus.
- Rent a locker at Fennell or Stoney Creek.
- Log into MyCanvas and explore your courses. Check out the MyCanvas guide for help getting started.
- Register your vehicle at Fennell or Stoney Creek.
- Review the class schedule given to you on your first day
- Review what you will learn on the curriculum standards documents
- Plan for your meals while on campus. There are no food services available at the Stoney Creek Campus, other than vending machines. Food services at the Fennell Campus are limited. Water bottle filling stations will be available for students and employees
- Apply for Employment Insurance (EI) if you are in an eligible block class. You will receive your 16 digit code through email from the Ministry.
- View available grants for all apprentices.
- View the Canada Apprentice Loan if you are enrolled in a designated Red Seal trade.
- Find out if you are eligible for Financial Allowances during the first week of training.
- Access financial literacy resources though Mo’Money.
- Apply for Course Exemptions if applicable.
- Ensure you have the required equipment and textbooks as it relates to your trade. This will be confirmed by your instructor on the first day of class.
- Prepare for math by reviewing the Math Minutes videos
- Explore the Skilled Trades research guides provided by the library
- Register with Accessible Learning Services if you have, or think you have a disability or need an academic accommodation.
- Learn about the services and supports available to apprentices through the Mohawk Student Association (MSA).
- Get in touch with the Learning Support Centre for tutoring and support with writing, communications, and math.