Pre-Media and Entertainment - 194
- Explore the media and entertainment industry to prepare for further study in a diploma or a degree program.
Get hands-on instruction in content creation from faculty who have firsthand experience in the Canadian media industry.
Use industry-standard equipment and software to create photos, videos, multimedia stories and graphics.
Build an ePortfolio of work to help become a competitive applicant to one of Mohawk’s media diploma programs.
Learn to use cutting-edge equipment without needing to make a personal investment.
What you'll learn
- An introduction to the opportunities available in the communications media industry including television, radio and journalism.
- Success strategies that will develop valuable academic and personal skills.
- The history of media
- The realities and experiences of working in today’s media industry.
- The role, responsibility and impact of television, radio, print, film and internet on today’s society.
This certificate program is for students who haven't made a decision about what area of media they should pursue. Pre-Media allows students to sample various aspects of media to help them make a more informed decision about their future studies.
Students in Mohawk's Pre-Media and Entertainment Certificate program will discover the opportunities available in the communications media industry including television, radio, photography, graphic design and journalism.
1 academic year (period of 8 months)
Explore our many videos, online resources and program options within the Open House Plus website.
We’re here for you to support applications and admissions by providing online and virtual service.
Applied and have questions?
The admissions team is available to help, you can contact them via Admissions or by phone at 1-844-767-6871.
Haven’t applied and need help?
Contact us or phone 905-575-2460.
- OSSD or equivalent (Mohawk Academic Upgrading, GED) including:
- Grade 12 English, E, C or U or equivalent
- Students will be required to pay a digital print fee
Language Requirements for International Students:
- See below for accepted equivalents for Grade 12 English:
Applicants whose first language is not English will be required to demonstrate proficiency in English. Options are available for mature applicants.
Tuition and Fees
Tuition and Fees
2021 - 2022 Domestic Tuition and Fees
|Description||Semester 1||Semester 2|
Compulsory Ancillary Fees
Compulsory Program Fees
|Total Domestic Charges Per Semester||$2,185.06||$2,066.09|
|Total 1st Year Fees||$4,251.15|
Above fees based on full-time September program start date. Contact Student Services to confirm fees for other start dates or semesters.
- Awards: Scholarships and Bursaries
- OSAP Eligible. Learn about Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP).
- Full Cost Breakdown
2021 - 2022 International Tuition and Fees
|Semester 1||Semester 2|
Total Tuition & Ancillary Fees
|Program Compulsory Fee Plus Tax||$0.00||$0.00|
|International Tax Recovery||$450.00||$375.00|
|Total International Charges Per Semester||$8,545.00||$8,470.00|
|Total 1st Year Fees||$17,015.00|
- International Scholarships and Bursaries
- OSAP not eligible for International Students
- Full Cost Breakdown
If you pay by wire transfer, please note your bank might charge you a fee to transfer money. Make sure your transfer includes the Mohawk payment and the wire transfer fee. This applies to each wire transfer payment you make.
Program of Studies
Course Overview & Descriptions
Click on the course title for a course description.
How you’ll gain skills
- Receive hands-on experience with digital still photography and video cameras in both individual and group projects.
- Learn multimedia storytelling skills using open-source creation tools.
- Learn video creation and editing skills using the latest versions of industry-standard software in a real-world lab setting.
Program Learning Outcomes, often referred to as ‘Program Standards', set out the essential learning that a student must achieve before being deemed ready to graduate.
In many cases these program learning outcomes were developed by the Ministry of Colleges and Universities (MCU) in consultation with employers and educators who are experts in the program field. To ensure the outcomes remain current and in line with industry needs, we invite our employers, graduates working in the field and current students to re-examine and update them during regular, ongoing program review focus groups.
Pathways to Mohawk
If you've successfully taken a course at another post-secondary institution, you may be able to earn course exemptions toward your credential here at Mohawk.
Pathways within Mohawk
If you have successfully completed one of the following programs at Mohawk, you may be eligible to receive transfer credit in this program. *
We offer a diverse range of programs to further your studies within Mohawk following completion of this program. *
- Broadcasting - Radio
- Photography - Still and Motion
- Advertising and Marketing Communications Management
- Broadcasting - Television and Communications Media
- Graphic Design
This Pathways map shows how the identified program can lead to future program choices within Mohawk.
Pathways beyond Mohawk
See ontransfer.ca for additional opportunities at other colleges or universities in Ontario.
Search the Mohawk Transfer Database for opportunities outside of Ontario.
Domestic Canadian Students
Contact Student Recruitment
Haven’t applied yet and have questions?
Contact our Student Recruitment team for information on programs, how to apply, and more.
Contact our Admissions advisors for help with your application.
Contact International Student Recruitment
Contact our International Student Recruitment team for information on programs, how to apply, and student life.
Toll free phone numbers:
For general questions: 1-888-Mohawk9 (1-888-664-2959)
North China: 10-800-714-2521
South China: 10-800-140-2541
Student Success Advisors
Student Success Advisors
Student Success Advisors assist current students to transition to college life, co-creating an academic success plan, advice on course selection, changing programs, or referrals to specialized support services. If you need help applying to Mohawk, contact Admissions (for International Students, please contact International Admissions).