Magnetic Resonance Imaging - 769
- Mohawk’s Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) Ontario College Graduate Certificate program is offered full-time or part-time, with intakes in January and September.
- This MRI program is well suited for technologists working in radiography, sonography, cardiac sonography (CMRITO registered), radiation therapy or nuclear medicine who wish to expand or change their practice to include MRI.
What you'll learn
- Mohawk’s MRI program features integrated MRI simulations that immerse students in the software platforms prior to live applications in clinical placement.
- Course content is tailored to meet the needs of working technologists learning in an online environment, and follows universal design for learning (UDL) principles to provide options to support all students. For example, 360 anatomy web-based interactive course content and Nearpods to enhance skill development.
The functional demands required for a professional practice in Magnetic Resonance Imaging should be fully appreciated and working as a technologist in this demanding environment requires consideration for the following skills:
- Manual dexterity
- Physical strength for both patient and equipment movement
- Fine motor control
- Both critical thinking and strong written/verbal commination skills
- The College of Medical Radiation and Imaging Technologists of Ontario (CMRITO) is responsible for regulating MRI technologists in Ontario.
- CMRITO recognizes Mohawk College’s MRI program as an accredited program. After successfully completing the CAMRT exam, graduates can register with the CMRITO to obtain their license to work in Ontario.
- Mohawk’s MRI program is accredited by Accreditation Canada.
Program length and delivery
- The full-time option is 29 weeks in total, consisting of 14 weeks of online (full-time) learning, with opportunities for comprehensive, practical hands-on and/or simulation-based training, followed by 15 weeks of full-time clinical placement.
- A part-time option is available for students who would prefer to remain in the workforce while obtaining their education. Courses will be delivered synchronously and asynchronously, and students must complete all required courses and clinical placement within two years.
- Students will complete a one-day on-campus intensive lab to learn IV insertion. Students can receive credit for previous knowledge, if applicable. Read more about PLAR. Part-time or remote students can arrange to complete this within their community.
Start a business program this month!
It’s not too late to apply to become a Mohawk College student and start a business program this month. Apply online or get in touch with our team to help you through the process.
We’re here for you to support applications and admissions by providing online and virtual service.
Applied and have questions?
The admissions team is available to help, you can contact them via Admissions or by phone at 1-844-767-6871.
Haven’t applied and need help?
Contact us or phone 905-575-2460.
Take a virtual campus tour!
Explore Mohawk College from the comfort of home! Our virtual campus tours provide a guided visit of our buildings, labs, services, classrooms and athletic and recreation centre.
Preference will be given to graduates of Medical Radiation Imaging Sciences – Radiologic Technology, Nuclear Medicine, Radiation Therapy, and Diagnostic Ultrasonography programs.
- Proof of one of the following three:
- A current practice permit through provincial/national regulatory body, and a diploma from an accredited institute in Medical Radiography, Nuclear Medicine, Radiation Therapy
- Active membership with Sonography Canada (Generalist) and diploma from an accredited institute in Diagnostic Medical Sonography'
- A current practice permit through provincial regulatory body (ACCLXT) and diploma from an approved accredited institute in Combined Laboratory & X-Ray
- Be currently registered to practice with their Provincial authority
- Registered to practice with the Canadian Association of Medical Radiation Technologist (CAMRT) in current discipline of Radiography, Nuclear Medicine or Radiation Therapy OR have current active status with Sonography Canada (generalist)
- Graduate of an approved program in medical radiation sciences or diagnostic medical sonography or cardiac medical sonography
AND relevant clinical experience within the last 5 years in one of the disciplines stated above.
Tuition and Fees
2022 - 2023 Domestic Tuition and Fees
|Description||Semester 1||Semester 2|
|Compulsory Ancillary Fees||$860.36||$599.77|
|Total Domestic Charges Per Semester||$4,658.64||$4,398.05|
|Total 1st Year Fees||$9,056.69|
Above fees are based on full-time January program start date. Contact Student Services to confirm fees for other start dates or semesters.
- Awards: Scholarships and Bursaries
- OSAP Eligible. Learn about Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP).
- Full Cost Breakdown
- Financial Assistance
- Additional fees for pre-clinical placement will be required. View the Additional Information section for more information.
Course Overview & Descriptions
Click on the course title for a course description.
* MRI Safety and Patient Care course total is 68 hours: 4 hours per week plus 12 hours of labs.
How you'll gain skills
- Students gain hands-on experience during a 15-week clinical placement where they learn from clinical education leaders in imaging departments.
All accepted applicants are required to complete certain requirements prior to clinical placement and are responsible for the associated costs. Details about pre-placement requirements will be emailed to you once you accept your offer of admission.
To be eligible for field/clinical placement, you must not have been convicted of any offence for which you have not been pardoned. If your Police Check is 'not clear', your acceptance and suitability for placement are at the discretion of the agency. Mohawk College cannot guarantee placement changes if refused by the agency.
Clinical practice may be completed at clinical agencies located throughout Ontario or other provinces upon approval by Mohawk College. The Program will determine the allocation of students to these sites. Clinical placements may occur at locations that are not accessible by public transit or may require the student to relocate. Students must prepare financially and personally to relocate and/or commute to their assigned clinical placement. Mohawk shall not be responsible for providing students with transportation to clinical placements. Students may be required to attend clinical practice at a site that is not of their choosing.
Please contact the clinical placement specialist for more information regarding clinical placement.
Program Learning Outcomes, often referred to as ‘Program Standards', set out the essential learning that a student must achieve before being deemed ready to graduate.
In many cases these program learning outcomes were developed by the Ministry of Colleges and Universities (MCU) in consultation with employers and educators who are experts in the program field. To ensure the outcomes remain current and in line with industry needs, we invite our employers, graduates working in the field and current students to re-examine and update them during regular, ongoing program review focus groups.
MRI Technologists can pursue careers in clinical environments including hospitals, diagnostic imaging centres and independent health facilities. Other career opportunities can be found in the areas of education, sales, applications and research.
Your future career options
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging Technologist
Where you could work includes:
- Medical Radiation Technologists in Hospitals
- IHFs Independent health facilities
- Application Specialists and sales
Graduates of Mohawk’s MRI program are eligible to challenge the Canadian Association of Medical Radiation Technologists (CAMRT) entry-to-practice certification examination and/or the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists (ARRT) MRI National certification exams to become a certified Magnetic Resonance technologist.
Pathways to Mohawk
- If you've successfully taken a course at another post-secondary institution you may be able to earn course exemptions toward your credential here at Mohawk.
Pathways beyond Mohawk
Minimum technical and software requirements
Computer and Internet Connection
- You will need regular access to a Windows-based computer with an internet connection. Mac users will require Parallels software in order to run Windows software.
- High-speed broadband access (LAN, Cable or DSL) is highly recommended for the optimal learning experience.
- Some courses have more advanced system requirements.
- An external mouse is necessary.
- Individual courses may have additional software requirements. This may include video or audio playing software or a specific software application.
- Most courses require word processing software.
- In some instances, it may be necessary for some users to upgrade their Flash or Java versions.
- Please ensure you are using an updated web browser such as Google Chrome, Safari, or Firefox, as most videos and resources are compatible with these.
The following items may also be required for some courses:
- Web camera and microphone.
- Virtual reality headset (do not purchase this unless instructed to do so)
Opportunities for students
Mohawk’s MRI students can become student members of professional MRI associations while enrolled in the program. Membership allows students to participate in educational conferences and apply for bursaries and awards. Some conditions may apply.
Jennifer DiNucci – jennifer.dinucci [at] mohawkcollege.ca
Lyndsay Simmons – lyndsay.simmons [at] mohawkcollege.ca
Domestic Canadian Students
Contact Student Recruitment
Haven’t applied yet and have questions?
Contact our Student Recruitment team for information on programs, how to apply, and more.
Contact our Admissions advisors for help with your application.
Contact International Student Recruitment
Contact our International Student Recruitment team for information on programs, how to apply, and student life.
Toll free phone numbers:
For general questions: 1-888-Mohawk9 (1-888-664-2959)
North China: 10-800-714-2521
South China: 10-800-140-2541