Applied Music (Bass) - 986
- Personalized instrumental or vocal instruction by some of Canada's best musicians.
- Perform at the 1,000+ seat McIntyre Performing Arts Centre at Fennell Campus.
- Clinics and workshops with world-renowned musicians.
- Over 100 performances annually in the community.
- Develop your composing skills and portfolio by collaborating with Animation, TV Production, Radio and Journalism students.
What you'll learn
- Perform in a variety of ensembles, coached by faculty.
- Use the latest music technology in a state-of-the-art facility.
- Compose your own arrangements and works and have them performed by student groups under your direction.
- Participate in professional recording studio experiences.
- Write musical scores for various productions.
- Explore the business side of the music profession.
- Gain the advice of industry experts.
- Learn how to teach private lessons through practical experience working in the community.
We now offer the opportunity to apply on your preferred instrument/voice to our Applied Music Program.
Applicants may apply to only one Music Stream (contemporary or classical) on their ontariocolleges.ca application. However, any applicants that are unsure to what stream they align we can discuss this at your audition. Also, if you play an additional instrument mention this during your audition and you may be given further instruction at that time. There may be opportunities to play additional instruments during your studies in ensemble classes.
3 academic years (periods of 8 months)
Visit Open House Plus, an on-demand, curated collection of videos, interviews and blogs about our programs, student services and supports! Get answers to your questions, watch video greeting from Deans and faculty, stay up-to-date on virtual events and more.
We’re here for you to support applications and admissions by providing online and virtual service.
Applied and have questions?
The admissions team is available to help, you can contact them via Admissions or by phone at 1-844-767-6871.
Haven’t applied and need help?
Connect with an advisor by email at email@example.com or phone 905-575-2460.
Fall 2020 program delivery
The Collective, powered by SURGE, offers students a platform to showcase their talents and gain experience freelancing, while developing their portfolios before they enter the workforce. This platform showcases students from an assortment of program areas sparking an entrepreneurial mindset, preparing creative students for the future.
Hire a Mohawk student to create stunning visuals, creative graphics and smart media by visiting The Collective.
In the News: CHCH - Toon Town
Advanced Diploma Program
Meet Jamshed Turel
Mohawk College Music Department's Students Behind-the-Scenes
Tuition and Fees
Tuition and Fees
2020 - 2021 Domestic Tuition and Fees
|Semester 1||Semester 2|
|Compulsory Ancillary Fees||$753.47||$877.45|
|Compulsory Program Fees||$0.00||$0.00|
|Total Domestic Charges Per Semester||$2,590.77||$2,714.75|
|Total 1st Year Fees||$5,305.52|
Above fees based on full-time September program start date. Contact Student Services to confirm fees for other start dates or semesters.
- Awards: Scholarships and Bursaries
- OSAP Eligible. Learn about Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP).
- Full Cost Breakdown
2020 - 2021 International Tuition and Fees
|Semester 1||Semester 2|
|Total Tuition & Ancillary Fee||$8,376.00||$8,684.74|
|Program Compulsory Fees||$0.00||$0.00|
|International Tax Recovery||$450.00||$375.00|
|Total International Per Semester||$8,826.00||$9,059.74|
|Total 1st Year Fees||$17,885.74|
- International Scholarships and Bursaries
- OSAP not eligible for International Students
- Full Cost Breakdown
If you pay by wire transfer, please note your bank might charge you a fee to transfer money. Make sure your transfer includes the Mohawk payment and the wire transfer fee. This applies to each wire transfer payment you make.
- Financial Assistance
- View the Additional Information Tab for any additional costs
Domestic and International student admission requirements
- OSSD or equivalent (Mohawk Academic Upgrading, GED) including:
- Grade 12 English, C or U or equivalent
- Background in Music
- Audition on your instrument or voice, a theory test, and an ear-training test
- Applicant acceptance will be based on ability and talent in a principal instrument or voice
Language Requirements for International Students:
- See below for accepted equivalents for Grade 12 English:
Applicants whose first language is not English will be required to demonstrate proficiency in English. Options are available for mature applicants.
Applicant Audition Guide
Apply to our Applied Music Program through the Ontario College Application Services (OCAS) (opens new window) website and follow the steps as instructed by OCAS (opens new window).
Inquiries regarding admissions or your OCAS Application:
Email: coach [at] mohawkcollege.ca
Inquiries regarding the audition process or our music program:
Email: music.auditions [at] mohawkcollege.ca
Kindly note that Mohawk College is subject to Ontario’s Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and therefore, all audition information is considered private and confidential. We are unable to discuss audition information with parents or guardians without the applicant’s permission.
How you'll gain skills
- Receive private instruction on your instrument with some of Canada’s leading musicians.
- Participate in multiple performances on campus and in the community.
- Practice in dedicated practice studios and the synthesizer- computer laboratory.
- Selected senior Mohawk music students offer private lessons, under the supervision of faculty.
- Participate in two internship courses.
- Use Mohawk’s Cummings Library Collaboratory for resources.
Tuesday Night Music School
Selected senior Mohawk music students offer private lessons, under the supervision of Faculty. Learn more about the Tuesday Night Music Music School.
Where you can go next
- Mohawk offers a diverse range of programs to further your studies**:
- Earn a degree:
- Athabasca University - Bachelor of Commerce, Bachelor of Human Resources and Labour Relations, Bachelor of Management, Bachelor of Professional Arts in Communication Studies
- Berklee College of Music - Bachelor of Music
- Davenport University - Bachelor of Business Administration, General Business
- McMaster University - Bachelor of Music (Hons)
View our internal pathways map PDF. This Pathways map shows how the identified program can lead to future program choices within Mohawk.
- Visit Pathways and Credit Transfer for degree completion opportunities outside of Ontario.
- See ontransfer.ca for additional opportunities at other colleges or universities in Ontario.
Students successfully completing our program can get advanced placement in several prestigious institutions, including the world-renowned Berklee College of Music.
Mohawk College is an AVID Learning partner and our students have an opportunity to get Pro Tools Certified.
Your future career options
- Performing Arts and Related Industries
- Music Related Business
Where you could work includes:
- Performance including: soloists, freelance musicians, orchestras, and musical directors.
- Composition including:
- music arrangements and compositions for performances, film, television, digital, and video games.
- Music technology such as: sound design and effects, audio engineering
- Teach in a variety of studios, and schools.
- Business such as: publishing, marketing, artist management.
- Therapy: in private practice, Clinics or Hospitals
- Read our Suggested Paths PDF document for more career information.
Program of Studies
Course Overview & Descriptions
Click on the course title for a course description.
Program Learning Outcomes, often referred to as ‘Program Standards', set out the essential learning that a student must achieve before being deemed ready to graduate.
In many cases these program learning outcomes were developed by the Ministry of Colleges and Universities (MCU) in consultation with employers and educators who are experts in the program field. To ensure the outcomes remain current and in line with industry needs, we invite our employers, graduates working in the field and current students to re-examine and update them during regular, ongoing program review focus groups.
- Not sure what type of music careers are available? Visit Career Coach for all music career results!
Domestic Canadian Students
Contact Student Recruitment
Contact our Student Recruitment team for information on our programs, student life, and more.
Contact our Admissions advisors for help with your application.
Contact International Student Recruitment
Contact our International Student Recruitment team for information on programs, how to apply, and student life.
Toll free phone numbers:
For general questions: 1-888-Mohawk9 (1-888-664-2959)
North China: 10-800-714-2521
South China: 10-800-140-2541
Student Success Advisors
Student Success Advisors
Student Success Advisors assist current students to transition to college life, co-creating an academic success plan, advice on course selection, changing programs, or referrals to specialized support services. If you need help applying to Mohawk, contact Admissions (for International Students, please contact International Admissions).