Broadcasting - Radio & Creative Content - 520
Note: Broadcasting - Radio & Creative Content (520) was formerly named Broadcasting - Radio (220).
- Go live in 3, 2, 1! Using industry standard equipment, you will create and deliver live audio & digital content with industry professionals.
- Acquire the skills to build, plan, analyze, and execute effective social media marketing strategies to help build your business or personal brand.
- Gain hands-on practical experience on Mohawk’s award-winning radio station, INDI 101-5, and our living lab, Mohawk’s Ignite Radio.
What you'll learn
- Use industry standard studios, audio labs and equipment.
- Explore and specialize in announcing, music scheduling, commercial production, promotion, news/sports presentation, voiceovers, podcasting, social media and sales.
- Train with industry standard software like Adobe Audition, iMedia Touch, Music Master and Inception News.
- Develop remote workspace and recording skills.
- Develop an e-Portfolio of your work
2 academic years (period of 8 months)
Explore our many videos, online resources and program options within the Open House+ website.
We’re here for you to support applications and admissions by providing online and virtual service.
Applied and have questions?
The admissions team is available to help, you can contact them via Admissions or by phone at 1-844-767-6871.
Haven’t applied and need help?
Contact us or phone 905-575-2460.
Take a virtual campus tour!
Explore Mohawk College from the comfort of home! Our virtual campus tours provide a guided visit of our buildings, labs, services, classrooms and athletic and recreation centre.
Radio Broadcasting Video
The Collective, powered by SURGE, offers students a platform to showcase their talents and gain experience freelancing, while developing their portfolios before they enter the workforce. This platform showcases students from an assortment of program areas sparking an entrepreneurial mindset, preparing creative students for the future.
Hire a Mohawk student to create stunning visuals, creative graphics and smart media by visiting The Collective.
Domestic and International student admission requirements
- OSSD or equivalent (Mohawk Academic Upgrading, GED) including:
- Grade 12 English, C or U or equivalent
- Students will be required to pay a digital print fee
- Broadcast – Radio is a high demand program. Applicants may be requested to provide additional information
- See below for accepted equivalents for Grade 12 English:
Applicants whose first language is not English will be required to demonstrate proficiency in English. Options are available for mature applicants.
Tuition and Fees
2021 - 2022 Domestic Tuition and Fees
|Description||Semester 1||Semester 2|
Compulsory Ancillary Fees
Compulsory Program Fees
|Total Domestic Charges Per Semester||$2,107.51||$2,231.49|
|Total 1st Year Fees||$4,339.00|
Above fees based on full-time September program start date. Contact Student Services to confirm fees for other start dates or semesters.
- Awards: Scholarships and Bursaries
- OSAP Eligible. Learn about Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP).
- Full Cost Breakdown
2021 - 2022 International Tuition and Fees
|Description||Semester 1||Semester 2|
Total Tuition & Ancillary Fees
Program Compulsory Fees
|International Tax Recovery||$450.00||$375.00|
|Total International Charges Per Semester||$8,329.00||$8,310.00|
|Total 1st Year Fees||$16,639.00|
- International Scholarships and Bursaries
- OSAP not eligible for International Students
- Full Cost Breakdown
If you pay by wire transfer, please note your bank might charge you a fee to transfer money. Make sure your transfer includes the Mohawk payment and the wire transfer fee. This applies to each wire transfer payment you make.
Course Overview & Descriptions
Click on the course title for a course description.
How you'll gain skills
- Learn critical thinking skills through simulation to perform jobs including on-air personality, board producer, news and sports announcer and program director on our internet radio station, Ignite Radio.
- Through performance-based learning, work with our experienced faculty to provide live and recorded audio content for both college radio stations INDI 101-5 and Ignite Radio.
- In an on-campus lab environment, students will observe, apply and experience hands-on learning using industry standard equipment.
- Learn necessary technical skills by completing real-life projects with industry partners and real-life projects.
- The final semester of the program includes a capstone project. Working independently, students will spend a significant amount of time using varies skills including researching, interviewing, recording, producing and editing a 30 minute podcast. Several podcasts will be selected to air on our FM Radio station – INDI 101-5.
Program Learning Outcomes, often referred to as ‘Program Standards', set out the essential learning that a student must achieve before being deemed ready to graduate.
In many cases these program learning outcomes were developed by the Ministry of Colleges and Universities (MCU) in consultation with employers and educators who are experts in the program field. To ensure the outcomes remain current and in line with industry needs, we invite our employers, graduates working in the field and current students to re-examine and update them during regular, ongoing program review focus groups.
Explore Related Careers
Your future career options
- On-Air Host
- News/Sports Announcer
- Live Radio Show Producer
- Radio programming
- Social Media
Where you could work includes:
- Radio Stations
- Voiceover work
- Music industry
- Sound recording industries
- Advertising agencies
- Social Media Companies
Pathways to Mohawk
If you've successfully taken a course at another post-secondary institution, you may be able to earn course exemptions toward your credential here at Mohawk.
Pathways within Mohawk
If you have successfully completed one of the following programs at Mohawk, you may be eligible to receive transfer credit in this program. *
We offer a diverse range of programs to further your studies within Mohawk following completion of this program. *
- Accessible Media Production
- Broadcasting - Television and Communications Media
- Communications Media Practices
- Creative Arts Business
This Pathways map shows how the identified program can lead to future program choices within Mohawk.
Pathways beyond Mohawk
Earn a degree:
- Davenport University - Bachelor of Business Administration
- Griffith University - Bachelor of Public Relations and Communication
- Robert Gordon University - Bachelor of Arts - Journalism or Media
See ontransfer.ca for additional opportunities at other colleges or universities in Ontario.
Search the Mohawk Transfer Database for opportunities outside of Ontario.
Domestic Canadian Students
Contact Student Recruitment
Haven’t applied yet and have questions?
Contact our Student Recruitment team for information on programs, how to apply, and more.
Contact our Admissions advisors for help with your application.
Contact International Student Recruitment
Contact our International Student Recruitment team for information on programs, how to apply, and student life.
Toll free phone numbers:
For general questions: 1-888-Mohawk9 (1-888-664-2959)
North China: 10-800-714-2521
South China: 10-800-140-2541
Do you have a project for our students?
If you or your organization has a marketing communications project that might be suitable for our students, please apply below. We will respond to you as soon as we can. Please note that we do not accept applications made directly to faculty or program coordinators. If you have any questions please contact firstname.lastname@example.org