Broadcasting - Television and Communications Media - 651
- Work on real-world projects with actual clients.
- Attain your Avid Learning Partner – Media Composer Certification.
- Produce sports content with Ontario Colleges Athletic Association, Ontario University Athletics, and Ontario Hockey League partners.
What you'll learn
- Content creation and distribution for traditional and new media platforms.
- Sport and event production skills with professional HD mobile facilities.
- Camera, lighting and sound techniques for location production.
- Live and scripted studio production operations.
- Production management and direction.
- Edit video, sound and graphics.
Meet an Alumni of Distinction
Media equipment and training
HD training facilities:
- Production studio space (2394 square feet) and Black Box/EFP Studio space (1269 square feet).
- HD Production Control room (Ross Vision Switcher, XPression Graphics, Inception Prompter, Yamaha 48 input sound console, 4 Cameras, 20 foot jib arm).
- HD Mobile Production (For.A Switcher, XPression Graphics, NewTek 3Play 820 Replay, Allen & Heath Qu-32, 38 input sound console, 6 Cameras).
- TriCaster and Black Magic flight packs
- Professional level Sony and Panasonic location cameras.
- LED studio lighting / LED location lighting / Incandescent location lighting.
- Sennheiser boom microphones and wireless systems.
- Zoom multi-track location recording systems.
- Training in Adobe Creative Suite, Avid Media Composer and Avid ProTools.
Broadcasting - Television and Communications Media program is an award winning real world media education program that merges the student's artistic concepts with technological tools.
Students produce material for a variety of different media genres and platforms: broadcast television, documentary, independent film, corporate communications, digital signage and web applications. Mohawk College has extensive post-production courses and is one of the few AVID Certified Colleges in Ontario.
During the final year of the program, students will write, produce and edit their capstone production. Students will also complete a 245 hour Work Placement working directly for a professional media organization. Recent graduates have completed placements with Maple Leaf Sports Entertainment, Big Brother Canada, CBC, CHCH Television, CityTV, Stelco Canada, and Sportsnet.
3 academic years (periods of 8 months)
We’re here for you to support applications and admissions by providing online and virtual service.
Applied and have questions?
The admissions team is available to help, you can contact them via Admissions or by phone at 1-844-767-6871.
Haven’t applied and need help?
Contact us or phone 905-575-2460.
Take a virtual campus tour
Explore Mohawk College from the comfort of home! Our virtual campus tours provide a guided visit of our buildings, labs, services, classrooms and athletic and recreation centre.
Learn about program delivery terms.
Mohawk College Television Broadcasting Promo - Facilities
The Collective, powered by SURGE, offers students a platform to showcase their talents and gain experience freelancing, while developing their portfolios before they enter the workforce. This platform showcases students from an assortment of program areas sparking an entrepreneurial mindset, preparing creative students for the future.
Hire a Mohawk student to create stunning visuals, creative graphics and smart media by visiting The Collective.
Domestic and International student admission requirements
- OSSD or equivalent (Mohawk Academic Upgrading, GED) including:
- Grade 12 English, C or U or equivalent (minimum 65%)
- See below for accepted equivalents for Grade 12 English:
- Successful completion of the GAS-English for Academic Purposes (478 or 278) program
- TOEFL minimum score of 560 (83 Internet based)
- or IELTS Academic minimum score of 6.5 overall with no band less than 6.0
- More information about acceptable certificates, can be found on the International Admission Requirements
Applicants whose first language is not English will be required to demonstrate proficiency in English.
Tuition and Fees
2023 - 2024 Domestic Tuition and Fees
|Description||Semester 1||Semester 2|
|Compulsory Ancillary Fees||$864.60||$758.46|
|Compulsory Program Fees||$0.00||$0.00|
|Total Domestic Charges Per Semester||$2,218.64||$2,112.50|
|Total 1st Year Fees||$4,331.14|
Above fees based on full-time September program start date. Contact Student Services to confirm fees for other start dates or semesters.
- Full Cost Breakdown
- Explore payment options
- Book costs for your program can be found through the Campus Store
2023 - 2024 International Tuition and Fees
|Description||Semester 1||Semester 2|
|Total Tuition & Ancillary Fee||$8,355.00||$8,355.00|
|Program Compulsory Fees||$0.00||$0.00|
|International Tax Recovery||$450.00||$375.00|
|Total International Per Semester||$8,805.00||$8,730.00|
|Total 1st Year Fees||$17,535.00|
If you pay by wire transfer, please note your bank might charge you a fee to transfer money. Make sure your transfer includes the Mohawk payment and the wire transfer fee. This applies to each wire transfer payment you make.
- View the Additional Information Tab for any additional costs
- Better Jobs Ontario (formerly Second Career)
When it comes to paying for your education, investing in your future can be more affordable than you think. A Mohawk education is one of the most cost-effective means of acquiring the skills and knowledge you need to have a prosperous and rewarding career.
As you start on your chosen career path, it's important to have a realistic set of expectations regarding the expenses associated with attending college. In addition to your tuition fees, you will also need to budget for books, supplies, housing, and other related living expenses. You may be able to supplement your income and savings with scholarships, bursaries, or loans. It pays to do some research into what types of financial assistance you may qualify for.
Available Financial Assistance Resources:
- OSAP Eligible. Learn about Ontario Student Assistance Program - OSAP (domestic students only)
- Working on Campus
- Additional Sources of Funding
- Financial Assistance Home Page
Apply for Awards:
By submitting a Scholarships and Bursaries Application every semester, students have access to over $3 million in Mohawk College scholarships, bursaries and Ministry-partnered funding to help meet their financial needs.
Financial Literacy and Money Coaching:
Whether saving for school, sticking to a budget, or planning for a major purchase, financial literacy affects us all. That's why Mo' Money is committed to helping our students improve their money skills and become more confident with their money.
Course Overview & Descriptions
Click on the course title for a course description.
How you'll gain skills
- Engage in team focused industry relevant projects.
- Build your demo reel with actual client content.
- Produce live sports for venue and online streaming.
- Train on industry recognized equipment.
- Explore academic content through field trips and site visits
- Create content in professional HD studios and HD mobile production facilities.
- Experience a seven-week field placement.
Industry related partnerships
- Sportsnet, Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment, TSN, Dome Productions, Broadcast Services International, Mediapro, Bell Canadian Open, Hamilton Bulldogs, Ontario College Athletics Association and Ontario University Athletics
- Corus Entertainment, Global, Bell-Media, Shaw, CBC, CHCH TV, Cable 14, Rogers, Cogeco TV, CityTV / Omni, Weather Network
- Insight TV Productions, Juno Awards, Shaftesbury, Blue Ant Media, Digital Canaries, Deluxe Post, Advertising Agencies, Post Production Houses
Students participate in a 245 hour unpaid field placement. For more information, please see the Broadcasting-TV and Communications Media Field Placement Resource page.
The Agency is an experiential learning facility operating within the McKeil School of Business at Mohawk College. Students from a variety of programs including Advertising, Public Relations, Marketing, Graphics and Broadcast Media collaborate in developing real world marketing and communications solutions for selected non-profit organizations and start-up companies in the greater Hamilton area.
All projects with our client/partners are integrated into the curriculum and students are marked on what they do. They work under close faculty supervision as they develop effective marketing communications solutions relevant to meeting clear client objectives.
Program Learning Outcomes, often referred to as ‘Program Standards', set out the essential learning that a student must achieve before being deemed ready to graduate.
In many cases these program learning outcomes were developed by the Ministry of Colleges and Universities (MCU) in consultation with employers and educators who are experts in the program field. To ensure the outcomes remain current and in line with industry needs, we invite our employers, graduates working in the field and current students to re-examine and update them during regular, ongoing program review focus groups.
Your future career options
- Content Producer/Copy Writer
- Commercial and Corporate Video Producer
- Location Sound Operator/Sound Designer
- Post Production Visual and Audio Editor
- Studio Production Technical Operator
- Live Sports and Entertainment Crew Member
- Independent Documentary Producer
Where you could work includes:
- Live Sports and Entertainment venues
- Video Production studios
- Corporate Communication teams
- Television Stations
- Post Production facilities
- Content Development companies
Opportunities for grads
- Avid Learning Partner – Media Composer Certification
Visit the Broadcasting - Television and Communications Media Field Placement Resources page for more information.
Pathways to Mohawk
If you've successfully taken a course at another post-secondary institution, you may be able to earn course exemptions toward your credential here at Mohawk.
Pathways within Mohawk
If you have successfully completed one of the following programs at Mohawk, you may be eligible to receive transfer credit in this program. *
We offer a diverse range of programs to further your studies within Mohawk following completion of this program. *
This Pathways map shows how the identified program can lead to future program choices within Mohawk.
Pathways beyond Mohawk
Earn a degree:
- Davenport University - Bachelor of Business Administration
- Robert Gordon University - Bachelor of Arts, Media
- Technological University of the Shannon - Bachelor of Science (Honours) in Creative Broadcast and Film
See ontransfer.ca for additional opportunities at other colleges or universities in Ontario.
Search the Mohawk Transfer Database for opportunities outside of Ontario.
- Prospective students should possess excellent communication skills and should demonstrate a strong interest in media production
- Volunteer experience at a media outlet is an asset
- Communications Technology and Media Studies secondary school courses an asset
- Students will be required to purchase a laptop and pay a digital print fee (scroll down to view more information)
- A department branded shirt will need to be purchased and will be required to be worn for productions
- Our grads have won many top industry awards
Special event coverage
Students have participated in:
- Pilot and Web Series Productions
- OHL Hockey Coverage – Hamilton Bulldogs
- Mohawk varsity sports
- Live event coverage in the McIntyre Performing Arts Centre
- Community and College events
- Excellent communication skills
- Teamwork experience
- Understanding of computer technology
- Demonstrate a strong interest in media production
- Volunteer at community cable stations
- Communications Technology and Media
- Media related secondary school courses are an asset
- Awareness of social media platforms
Software and Hardware Information
The Broadcasting – Television & Communications Media program has a mandatory laptop requirement. All students are required to have a laptop that is capable of effectively running the software packages that we use for instruction. This provides our students with 24/7 access to industry-relevant production tools and learning resources.
The requirement of an approved media capable laptop is foundational to our learning structure and is necessary upon program entry. We have updated our policy to include laptops capable of meeting our required software specifications - both Windows PC laptops and MacBook Pro laptops.
Mohawk College currently has a partnership agreement with Dell and Apple®. To receive educational discounts when purchasing your new laptop, please visit the Mohawk Custom Online Store. We also recommend that you wait until late spring/early summer to take advantage of the "back to school" specials offered by Apple®. If you already own a laptop which meets our minimum standard necessary to run the required software, a new purchase will not be required.
To Access Mohawk’s Custom Online Store:
- Login to your MyMohawk account with your MohawkID and password.
- Click on the Technology Solutions tab.
- Navigate to the Computer Store and click “Online Dell Store.”
- Once you arrive at the Mohawk College Discount Store webpage, select “Shop Your Standard Configuration” to see the list of laptops we recommend for this program.
Minimum (Better) and Recommended (Best) Workstation Laptop configurations for Fall 2023
- Windows Workstation
- OS: Windows 10 or 11 (64-bit)
- CPU: Intel 12th Gen i7 or better
- GPU: Nvidia RTX 3050 or better
- RAM: 16GB or greater (32GB recommended)
- Internal storage: 500GB or greater SSD
- Recommended machine: Dell Inspiron 16 Plus (7630) or Dell XPS (9530)
- macOS Workstation
- OS: macOS 12 Monterey
- CPU: Apple M1 Max (8-core) or better
- GPU: Apple M1 Max (10-core) or better
- RAM: 16GB unified memory or greater (32GB recommended)
- Internal storage: 500GB or greater
- Recommended machine: Apple MacBook Pro
Note: Basic PC laptops and Chromebook devices will not be able to run the required professional media-industry software that our students will use regularly during each semester of the Broadcasting – Television and Communications Media program.
Software requirements will be discussed in the first week of class. Subscriptions are approximately $45/month *subject to change.
Personal External Storage:
- Minimum capacity: 1TB
- Technology: solid-state drive (SSD)
- Read/Write Speeds: approximately 500MB/second or greater (USB 3.1 or better)
- Connector: USB-A or USB-C connector as required to interface with your laptop
- Headphone requirements will be discussed in the first week of class.
Domestic Canadian Students
Contact Student Recruitment
Haven’t applied yet and have questions?
Contact our Student Recruitment team for information on programs, how to apply, and more.
Contact our Admissions advisors for help with your application.
Contact International Student Recruitment
Contact our International Student Recruitment team for information on programs, how to apply, and student life.
Toll free phone numbers:
For general questions: 1-888-Mohawk9 (1-888-664-2959)
North China: 10-800-714-2521
South China: 10-800-140-2541
Do you have a project for our students?
If you or your organization has a marketing communications project that might be suitable for our students, please apply below. We will respond to you as soon as we can. Please note that we do not accept applications made directly to faculty or program coordinators. If you have any questions please contact firstname.lastname@example.org