Advertising and Marketing Communications Management - 652
Offered in a hybrid delivery model
Classes will reflect what advertising agencies are doing in the industry. Some days you will attend classes physically and others you will attend virtually.
- Program is well-recognized by industry professionals locally and nationally.
- Specialize after first year in a creative or business stream.
- Interview industry professionals, tour agencies, participate in mock interviews and build your portfolio.
- Grads from our program can easily find work in advertising agencies of all sizes. You’ll find Mohawk Advertising and Marketing Communications Management grads working in Media Planning and Media Buying, Account Management, Project Management, Print Production, Studio production and assembly, and in Creative Departments as Art Directors and Copywriters.
What you'll learn
- The fundamentals of strategic and conceptual thinking for developing powerful advertising campaigns from start to finish.
- Art direction, copywriting, layout design, basics of photography, graphic design, UX app prototyping and idea generation techniques.
- Account and project management, strategic media planning and execution.
- How to professionally present materials to real clients.
- An understanding of Adobe Creative Suite for photo editing, layout design, and video editing and effects.
View the Exceptions Calendar for start dates and semester break information.
Faculty Spotlight: Jef Petrossi
3 academic years (periods of 8 months)
What makes Mohawk College one of Canada’s top ad schools?
Watch this student-produced video where our faculty and students talk about the program and what sets it above.
Featured podcast: Raf's Cast - Tales from MohawkAd
Creative stories and secrets on how to break into the ad industry. Hosted by Rafael Peixoto Ferreira, program faculty. Available on most podcast platforms, including:
Join us at Open House from April 6 - April 11
Come and explore our campuses, meet with faculty and staff and learn about the many student services and supports available to Mohawk students to help you succeed.
We're here to help
We’re here for you to support applications and admissions by providing online and virtual service.
Applied and have questions?
The admissions team is available to help, you can contact them via Admissions or by phone at 1-844-767-6871.
Haven’t applied and need help?
Contact us or phone 905-575-2460.
Take a virtual campus tour
Explore Mohawk College from the comfort of home! Our virtual campus tours provide a guided visit of our buildings, labs, services, classrooms and athletic and recreation centre.
Learn about program delivery terms.
- Grade 12 English, C or U or equivalent
- Excellent reading and writing skills are recommended
Language Requirements for Applicants with English as a Second Language
- See below for accepted equivalents for Grade 12 English:
- Successful completion of the GAS-English for Academic Purposes (478 or 278) program
- TOEFL minimum score of 550 (80 Internet based)
- or IELTS Academic minimum score of 6.0 overall with no band less than 5.5
- More information about acceptable certificates, can be found on the International Admission Requirements
Applicants whose first language is not English will be required to demonstrate proficiency in English.
Tuition and Fees
2023 - 2024 Domestic Tuition and Fees
|Compulsory Ancillary Fees
|Compulsory Program Fees
|Total Domestic Charges Per Semester
|Total 1st Year Fees
Above fees based on full-time September program start date. Contact Student Services to confirm fees for other start dates or semesters.
- Full Cost Breakdown
- Explore payment options
- Book costs for your program can be found through the Campus Store
2023 - 2024 International Tuition and Fees
|Total Tuition & Ancillary Fee
|Program Compulsory Fees
|International Tax Recovery
|Total International Per Semester
|Total 1st Year Fees
If you pay by wire transfer, please note your bank might charge you a fee to transfer money. Make sure your transfer includes the Mohawk payment and the wire transfer fee. This applies to each wire transfer payment you make.
When it comes to paying for your education, investing in your future can be more affordable than you think. A Mohawk education is one of the most cost-effective means of acquiring the skills and knowledge you need to have a prosperous and rewarding career.
As you start on your chosen career path, it's important to have a realistic set of expectations regarding the expenses associated with attending college. In addition to your tuition fees, you will also need to budget for books, supplies, housing, and other related living expenses. You may be able to supplement your income and savings with scholarships, bursaries, or loans. It pays to do some research into what types of financial assistance you may qualify for.
Available Financial Assistance Resources:
- OSAP Eligible. Learn about Ontario Student Assistance Program - OSAP (domestic students only)
- Working on Campus
- Additional Sources of Funding
- Financial Assistance Home Page
Apply for Awards:
By submitting a Scholarships and Bursaries Application every semester, students have access to over $3 million in Mohawk College scholarships, bursaries and Ministry-partnered funding to help meet their financial needs.
Financial Literacy and Money Coaching:
Whether saving for school, sticking to a budget, or planning for a major purchase, financial literacy affects us all. That's why Mo' Money is committed to helping our students improve their money skills and become more confident with their money.
Course Overview & Descriptions
Click on the course title for a course description.
How you'll gain skills
- Test and apply course concepts through current software in our computer labs
- Participate in national and international awards competitions.
- Work with real clients in The Agency, Mohawk’s student-run advertising agency.
- Participate in a seven-week field placement.
- Third-year runs for a full fall semester of 14 weeks, followed by a winter semester of seven weeks. After successful completion of all required courses, students complete a mandatory seven week unpaid field placement in their final semester
- Students are responsible for sourcing their own field placement
- The program curriculum is reviewed annually to ensure it continues to meet the needs of employers and graduates
Visit the Advertising and Marketing Communications Management Student Placement Program page for information on the field placement opportunities for this program!
Learn about The Agency
The Agency is an experiential learning facility operating within the McKeil School of Business at Mohawk College. Students from a variety of programs including Advertising, Public Relations, Marketing, Graphics and Broadcast Media collaborate in developing real world marketing and communications solutions for selected non-profit organizations and start-up companies in the greater Hamilton area.
All projects with our client/partners are integrated into the curriculum and students are marked on what they do. They work under close faculty supervision as they develop effective marketing communications solutions relevant to meeting clear client objectives.
The program curriculum is reviewed annually to ensure it continues to meet the needs of employers and graduates.
Program Learning Outcomes, often referred to as ‘Program Standards', set out the essential learning that a student must achieve before being deemed ready to graduate.
In many cases these program learning outcomes were developed by the Ministry of Colleges and Universities (MCU) in consultation with employers and educators who are experts in the program field. To ensure the outcomes remain current and in line with industry needs, we invite our employers, graduates working in the field and current students to re-examine and update them during regular, ongoing program review focus groups.
Your future career options
- Advertising Strategist
- Account Manager
- Art Director
- Production and Studio Specialist
- Public Relations/Direct Marketing/Web Specialist
- Promotions and Event Specialist
- Community Manager
- Project Manager
- Media Buyer
- Media Strategist
Where you could work includes:
- Advertising Agencies
- Client Side Marketing Departments
- Print, Broadcast or Digital Media
Pathways to Mohawk
If you've successfully taken a course at another post-secondary institution, you may be able to earn course exemptions toward your credential here at Mohawk.
Pathways within Mohawk
If you have successfully completed one of the following programs at Mohawk, you may be eligible to receive transfer credit in this program. *
- Pre-Media Entertainment
- Art and Design Foundations
- Business - Marketing
- Photography - Still and Motion
- General Arts and Science (University Transfer)
- Graphic Design
We offer a diverse range of programs to further your studies within Mohawk following completion of this program. *
This Pathways map shows how the identified program can lead to future program choices within Mohawk.
Pathways beyond Mohawk
Earn a degree:
- Davenport University - Bachelor of Business Administration, Marketing
- Robert Gordon University - Bachelor of Arts - Events Management, Fashion Management, International Hospitality Management, International Tourism Management, Management with Marketing, or Media
- Technological University of the Shannon - Bachelor of Arts (Honours), Creative Media and Design
See ontransfer.ca for additional opportunities at other colleges or universities in Ontario.
Search the Mohawk Transfer Database for opportunities outside of Ontario.
Domestic Canadian Students
Contact Student Recruitment
Haven’t applied yet and have questions?
Contact our Student Recruitment team for information on programs, how to apply, and more.
Contact our Admissions advisors for help with your application.
Contact International Student Recruitment
Contact our International Student Recruitment team for information on programs, how to apply, and student life.
Toll free phone numbers:
For general questions: 1-888-Mohawk9 (1-888-664-2959)
North China: 10-800-714-2521
South China: 10-800-140-2541
Do you have a project for our students?
If you or your organization has a marketing communications project that might be suitable for our students, please apply below. We will respond to you as soon as we can. Please note that we do not accept applications made directly to faculty or program coordinators. If you have any questions please contact firstname.lastname@example.org