Advertising and Marketing Communications Management - 652
- Program is well-recognized by industry professionals locally and nationally.
- Specialize after first year in a creative or business stream.
- Interview industry professionals, tour agencies, participate in mock interviews and build your portfolio.
What you'll learn
- A solid foundation in integrated marketing communications including advertising, sales promotion, direct marketing and public relations.
- Art direction, copywriting, layout design, basics of photography and graphic design, and idea generation techniques.
- Account and project management, media buying and placement, and the strategy behind ad campaigns.
- How to professionally present materials to real clients.
- An understanding of Adobe Creative Suite for photo editing, layout design, and video editing and effects.
View the Exceptions Calendar for start dates and semester break information.
3 academic years (periods of 8 months)
Join us at our Open House Events
Why you should attend an Open House
- Get information on Mohawk's 100+ programs and meet staff and faculty
- Meet faculty, staff and students from our program areas
- Explore student services and supports that can help you succeed
- Take a campus tour and see the newest spaces
- Learn about financial assistance and your payment options
Tuition and Fees
Tuition and Fees
2018 - 2019 Domestic Tuition and Fees
|Semester 1||Semester 2|
|Total Ancillary Fees||$717.02||$653.92|
|Mandatory Program Fees||$0.00||$0.00|
|Total Domestic Charges Per Semester||$2,221.51||$2,158.41|
|Total 1st Year Fees||$4,379.92|
- Awards: Scholarships and Bursaries
- OSAP Eligible. Learn about Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP).
- Full Cost Breakdown
2018 - 2019 International Tuition and Fees
|Semester 1||Semester 2|
|Total Tuition & Ancillary Fee||$7,342.97||$7,342.97|
|Program Compulsory Fee Plus Tax||$0.00||$0.00|
|International Tax Recovery||$450.00||$375.00|
|Total International Charges Per Semester||$7,792.97||$7,717.97|
|Total 1st Year Fees||$15,510.94|
- International Scholarships and Bursaries
- OSAP not eligible for International Students
- Full Cost Breakdown
If you pay by wire transfer, please note your bank might charge you a fee to transfer money. Make sure your transfer includes the Mohawk payment and the wire transfer fee. This applies to each wire transfer payment you make.
- Financial Assistance
- View the Additional Information Tab for any additional costs
- Grade 12 English, C or U or equivalent
- Excellent reading and writing skills are recommended
Language Requirements for International Students:
- See below for accepted equivalents for Grade 12 English:
How you'll gain skills
- After a foundational first year, you will build on your strengths by selecting either the creative or business stream.
- Work on assignments that integrate classroom with industry.
- Participate in national and international awards competitions.
- Gain hands-on learning in groups with students from both streams.
- Work with real clients in The Agency, Mohawk’s student-run advertising agency.
- Participate in a seven-week field placement.
- Learn from instructors who are industry professionals.
Grads from our program can easily find work in advertising agencies of all sizes. You’ll find Mohawk Advertising and Marketing Communications Management grads working in Media Planning and Media Buying, Account Management, Project Management, Print Production, Studio production and assembly, and in Creative Departments as Art Directors and Copywriters.
- Third-year runs for a full fall semester of 14 weeks, followed by a winter semester of seven weeks. After successful completion of all required courses, students complete a mandatory seven week unpaid field placement in their final semester
- Students are responsible for sourcing their own field placement
- The program curriculum is reviewed annually to ensure it continues to meet the needs of employers and graduates
Visit the Advertising and Marketing Communications Management Student Placement Program page for information on the field placement opportunities for this program!
Learn about The Agency
The Agency is an experiential learning facility operating within the McKeil School of Business at Mohawk College. Students from a variety of programs including Advertising, Public Relations, Marketing, Graphics and Broadcast Media collaborate in developing real world marketing and communications solutions for selected non-profit organizations and start-up companies in the greater Hamilton area.
All projects with our client/partners are integrated into the curriculum and students are marked on what they do. They work under close faculty supervision as they develop effective marketing communications solutions relevant to meeting clear client objectives.
The program curriculum is reviewed annually to ensure it continues to meet the needs of employers and graduates.
Your future career options
- Advertising/Media Specialists or Strategist
- Account Manager
- Art Director
- Production and Studio Specialist
- Public Relations/Direct Marketing/Web Specialist
- Promotions and Event Specialist
- Community Manager
- Project Manager
- Media Buyer
- Media Strategist
Where you could work includes:
- Advertising Agencies
- Client Side Marketing Departments
- Print, Broadcast or Digital Media
Where you can go next
- Mohawk offers a diverse range of programs to further your studies**:
- Earn a degree:
- Davenport University - Bachelor of Business Administration, Marketing
- Griffith University - Bachelor of Public Relations and Communications
- View our pathways map PDF. This Pathways map shows how the identified program can lead to future program choices.
- Visit Pathways and Credit Transfer for degree completion opportunties outside of Ontario.
- See ontransfer.ca for additional opportunties at other colleges or universities in Ontario.
Program of Studies
Course Overview & Descriptions
Click on the course title for a course description.
Program Learning Outcomes, often referred to as ‘Program Standards', set out the essential learning that a student must achieve before being deemed ready to graduate.
In many cases these program learning outcomes were developed by the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities (MTCU) in consultation with employers and educators who are experts in the program field. To ensure the outcomes remain current and in line with industry needs, we invite our employers, graduates working in the field and current students to re-examine and update them during regular, ongoing program review focus groups.