Power Engineering Techniques - 482
- Accredited by the Technical Standards and Safety Authority (TSSA), providing an opportunity for reduced operator time towards certification.
- Gain the academic and practical experiences necessary to succeed as a Power Engineer, from real-life experiences taught by certified Operating Engineers.
- There is a high demand for operating engineers at all levels and 4th Class Power Engineers may decide to pursue higher certification, up to and including, 1st Class.
What you'll learn
- Explore the use of steam firetube boilers, air compressors, refrigeration chillers, chemical feed pumps and various auxiliary equipment.
- Understand the use of prime movers, turbines, and co-generation processes.
- Understand the importance of electrotechnology, instrumentation, combustion and the environmental impacts in a steam plant.
- Prepare for the Technical Standards and Safety Authority 4th Class Power Operating Engineering exams, both 4A and 4B.
View the Exceptions Calendar for start dates and semester break information.
1 academic year (period of 11 months)
Explore our many videos, online resources and program options within the Open House+ website.
We’re here for you to support applications and admissions by providing online and virtual service.
Applied and have questions?
The admissions team is available to help, you can contact them via Admissions or by phone at 1-844-767-6871.
Haven’t applied and need help?
Contact us or phone 905-575-2460.
Take a virtual campus tour!
Explore Mohawk College from the comfort of home! Our virtual campus tours provide a guided visit of our buildings, labs, services, classrooms and athletic and recreation centre.
Domestic and International student admission requirements
- OSSD or equivalent (Mohawk Academic Upgrading, GED) including:
- Grade 12 English, C or U or equivalent
- Senior Mathematics is recommended
Language Requirements for International Students:
- See below for accepted equivalents for Grade 12 English:
Applicants whose first language is not English will be required to demonstrate proficiency in English. Options are available for mature applicants.
Tuition and Fees
2021 - 2022 Domestic Tuition and Fees
|Description||Semester 1||Semester 2|
|Compulsory Ancillary Fees||$831.02||$712.05|
|Compulsory Program Fees||$0.00||$0.00|
|Total Domestic Charges Per Semester||$2,185.06||$2,066.09|
|Total 1st Year Fees||$4,251.15|
Above fees based on full-time September program start date. Contact Student Services to confirm fees for other start dates or semesters.
- Awards: Scholarships and Bursaries
- OSAP Eligible. Learn about Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP).
- Full Cost Breakdown
2021 - 2022 International Tuition and Fees
|Description||Semester 1||Semester 2|
|Total Tuition & Ancillary Fee||$8,095.00||$8,095.00|
|Program Compulsory Fees||$0.00||$0.00|
|International Tax Recovery||$450.00||$375.00|
|Total International Per Semester||$8,545.00||$8,470.00|
|Total 1st Year Fees||$17,015.00|
- International Scholarships and Bursaries
- OSAP not eligible for International Students
- Full Cost Breakdown
If you pay by wire transfer, please note your bank might charge you a fee to transfer money. Make sure your transfer includes the Mohawk payment and the wire transfer fee. This applies to each wire transfer payment you make.
Course Overview & Descriptions
Click on the course title for a course description.
*Field placement runs between April to August
How you'll gain skills
Hands-on engagement in our labs including electrical, combustion, piping, welding, millwright and computer simulators for ammonia and power plant operations.
Field trips of various facilities to reinforce the academic and practical experiences at the College.
Operation of on-site Steam Lab with actual operating equipment.
Acquire industry skills in an unpaid Field Placement.
- Field placement opportunities are not guaranteed as they are solely dependent upon employer engagement.
- They may be paid, or unpaid, as per employer policies and Mohawk will provide support and assistance in securing placements for all enrolled students.
- Field placement runs between April to August
- Contact the michele.berlingieri [at] mohawkcollege.ca (subject: Field%20Placement%20Inquiry%20-%20Power%20Engineering%20Techniques) (Field Placement Specialist) for additional information.
- Successful completion of a 4th Class Power (Operating) Engineer 4A or 4B exam may be required by some employers prior to students being allowed to start the program’s field placement.
Program Learning Outcomes, often referred to as ‘Program Standards', set out the essential learning that a student must achieve before being deemed ready to graduate.
In many cases these program learning outcomes were developed by the Ministry of Colleges and Universities (MCU) in consultation with employers and educators who are experts in the program field. To ensure the outcomes remain current and in line with industry needs, we invite our employers, graduates working in the field and current students to re-examine and update them during regular, ongoing program review focus groups.
Your future career options
- 4th Class Power (Operating Engineer)
Where you could work includes:
- Power Generation
- Oil Refineries
- Steel Industry
- Pulp and Paper
- Food Processing
- Commercial Buildings
- Facilities Environmental Management and Control
Opportunities for grads
- Institute of Power Engineers
- Inspection certifications
- Refrigeration certifications
- Technical Standards and Safety Authority (TSSA)
Pathways to Mohawk
If you've successfully taken a course at another post-secondary institution, you may be able to earn course exemptions toward your credential here at Mohawk.
Pathways within Mohawk
If you have successfully completed one of the following programs at Mohawk, you may be eligible to receive transfer credit in this program. *
We offer a diverse range of programs to further your studies within Mohawk following completion of this program. *
This Pathways map shows how the identified program can lead to future program choices within Mohawk.
Pathways beyond Mohawk
See ontransfer.ca for additional opportunities at other colleges or universities in Ontario.
Search the Mohawk Transfer Database for opportunities outside of Ontario.
- Students of the Power Engineering program will be accredited with qualifying steam time, at the discretion of a qualified Power Engineer: the professor will provide an explanation at the start of the program
- Students must be prepared to travel
- For additional information visit the Technical Standards & Safety Authority (TSSA) (opens new window) website.
Domestic Canadian Students
Contact Student Recruitment
Haven’t applied yet and have questions?
Contact our Student Recruitment team for information on programs, how to apply, and more.
Contact our Admissions advisors for help with your application.
Contact International Student Recruitment
Contact our International Student Recruitment team for information on programs, how to apply, and student life.
Toll free phone numbers:
For general questions: 1-888-Mohawk9 (1-888-664-2959)
North China: 10-800-714-2521
South China: 10-800-140-2541