Motive Power Technician - 446
- You will gain the skills needed to obtain entry-level employment in the automotive industry.
- Curriculum is modelled after the Automotive Service Technician (310S) apprenticeship program.
- This is a BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) program where you will learn, and then apply, automotive skills in a shop environment.
What you'll learn
- Analyze and solve motive power system problems.
- Diagnose and repair mechanical, electrical and electronic components and systems using a variety of troubleshooting techniques and test tools.
- Safe work practices and skills in project management, quality control and assurance.
- Enhance communication, customer service and computer skill.
2 academic years (periods of 8 months)
We’re here for you to support applications and admissions by providing online and virtual service.
Applied and have questions?
The admissions team is available to help, you can contact them via Admissions or by phone at 1-844-767-6871.
Haven’t applied and need help?
Contact us or phone 905-575-2460.
Take a virtual campus tour!
Explore Mohawk College from the comfort of home! Our virtual campus tours provide a guided visit of our buildings, labs, services, classrooms and athletic and recreation centre.
Domestic and International student admission requirements
- OSSD or equivalent (Mohawk Academic Upgrading, GED) including:
- Grade 12 English, C or U or equivalent
- Grade 10 Mathematics, D or P
- Grade 12 Foundations for College Mathematics (MAP4C) recommended
- Bring your own device (BYOD) - you will require a mobile computing device that meets the specifications determined by the program
Language Requirements for International Students:
- See below for accepted equivalents for Grade 12 English:
Applicants whose first language is not English will be required to demonstrate proficiency in English. Options are available for mature applicants.
Tuition and Fees
2021 - 2022 Domestic Tuition and Fees
|Description||Semester 1||Semester 2|
|Compulsory Ancillary Fees||$831.02||$712.05|
|Compulsory Program Fees||$0.00||$0.00|
|Total Domestic Charges Per Semester||$2,185.06||$2,066.09|
|Total 1st Year Fees||$4,251.15|
Above fees based on full-time September program start date. Contact Student Services to confirm fees for other start dates or semesters.
- Awards: Scholarships and Bursaries
- OSAP Eligible. Learn about Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP).
- Full Cost Breakdown
2021 - 2022 International Tuition and Fees
|Description||Semester 1||Semester 2|
|Total Tuition & Ancillary Fee||$8,095.00||$8,095.00|
|Program Compulsory Fees||$0.00||$0.00|
|International Tax Recovery||$450.00||$375.00|
|Total International Charges Per Semester||$8,545.00||$8,470.00|
|Total 1st Year Fees||$17,015.00|
- International Scholarships and Bursaries
- OSAP not eligible for International Students
- Full Cost Breakdown
If you pay by wire transfer, please note your bank might charge you a fee to transfer money. Make sure your transfer includes the Mohawk payment and the wire transfer fee. This applies to each wire transfer payment you make.
Course Overview & Descriptions
Click on the course title for a course description.
How you'll gain skills
- Gain practical hands-on lab experience, using state-of-the-art equipment.
Program Learning Outcomes, often referred to as ‘Program Standards', set out the essential learning that a student must achieve before being deemed ready to graduate.
In many cases these program learning outcomes were developed by the Ministry of Colleges and Universities (MCU) in consultation with employers and educators who are experts in the program field. To ensure the outcomes remain current and in line with industry needs, we invite our employers, graduates working in the field and current students to re-examine and update them during regular, ongoing program review focus groups.
Your future career options
- Automotive Mechanical Installers and Servicer
- Motor Vehicle Assemblers, Inspectors and Tester
- Automotive Service Technician
Where you could work:
- Repair and Maintenance
- Motor Vehicle and Parts Dealers
- Parts Management
- Transportation Equipment Manufacturing
Pathways to Mohawk
If you've successfully taken a course at another post-secondary institution, you may be able to earn course exemptions toward your credential here at Mohawk.
Pathways within Mohawk
If you have successfully completed one of the following programs at Mohawk, you may be eligible to receive transfer credit in this program. *
- Motive Power Fundamentals (Enter Semester 3)
We offer a diverse range of programs to further your studies within Mohawk following completion of this program. *
This Pathways map shows how the identified program can lead to future program choices within Mohawk.
Pathways beyond Mohawk
See ontransfer.ca for additional opportunities at other colleges or universities in Ontario.
Search the Mohawk Transfer Database for opportunities outside of Ontario.
Bring Your Own Device (BYOD)
We are pleased to introduce you to our "Bring Your Own Device" Blended Learning Environment. The "BYOD" method of program delivery at Mohawk College requires you to have and use a mobile device throughout your program of study.
You will be using your own device – tablet, laptop – as a learning tool in the classroom. That means fewer textbooks to lug around, easier access to information, helpful tools and improved collaboration with your peers.
If you would like further clarification, please feel free to contact the Program Coordinator.
Matt is the first-year program coordinator.
Bob is the second-year program coordinator.
Domestic Canadian Students
Contact Student Recruitment
Haven’t applied yet and have questions?
Contact our Student Recruitment team for information on programs, how to apply, and more.
Contact our Admissions advisors for help with your application.
Contact International Student Recruitment
Contact our International Student Recruitment team for information on programs, how to apply, and student life.
Toll free phone numbers:
For general questions: 1-888-Mohawk9 (1-888-664-2959)
North China: 10-800-714-2521
South China: 10-800-140-2541