Mechanical Engineering Technology - 529
We are excited to announce that Mohawk College has been awarded over $20,000 in scholarships from the FEF (Foundry Education Foundation)! This includes conference attendance as well as experiential learning where students have the opportunity to work on "live" projects as part of their curriculum.
- Graduates are prepared for a variety of careers including mechanical design, manufacturing, lean optimization, preventive & predictive maintenance, and project management. The classroom, hands-on labs and co-op work introduce students to a variety of technologies including industrial robotics, automation, CAD, solid modelling, mechatronics and others.
- The only postsecondary program in Canada certified by the Foundry Educational Foundation (FEF), with many of our students receiving scholarships annually.
- Partnerships with major companies including; FANUC Robotics, Rockwell Automation, Siemens and Mitutoyo ensure this program teaches leading edge technology that will give you the skills to be ready for the workforce!
- The program covers foundational engineering, develops theoretical understanding, and offers students the opportunity to apply their knowledge in advanced labs.
What you will learn
- How to use computer aided design (AutoCAD and SolidWorks) to design mechanical components and assemblies in 3D.
- Skills in robotics, PLC programming and CMM with embedded industrial certifications.
- Technical communication, critical thinking and project management skills.
- Principles of quality, advanced manufacturing and how to develop sustainable manufacturing processes.
- Tailor your final year to suit your career of choice! Select among advanced technical options in Automation, Advanced Manufacturing, Advanced Design, Metal Casting and Capstone Projects.
Mohawk College’s Mechanical Engineering Technology program gives you the knowledge and skills to contribute immediately in a wide variety of industries and careers. This program focuses on the applications and theory of mechanical engineering, including design, advanced manufacturing, engineering materials and automation/robotics. Take your theoretical and practical skills, combined with your co-op job experience, and graduate with confidence, knowing that this program has prepared you for a successful career!
Foundry Educational Foundation (FEF) Certified
FEF provides resources to certified metalcasting programs to develop technical talent for the industry. FEF is the metalcasting industry's link to colleges and universities in North America.
Embedded Credential Opportunities
While completing this program, you will have the opportunity to obtain certifications in SolidWorks Professional and FANUC Robotics Operation.
3 academic years (periods of 8 months) and a 12-month co-op
Join us at Open House from April 6 - April 11
Come and explore our campuses, meet with faculty and staff and learn about the many student services and supports available to Mohawk students to help you succeed.
We're here to help
We’re here for you to support applications and admissions by providing online and virtual service.
Applied and have questions?
The admissions team is available to help, you can contact them via Admissions or by phone at 1-844-767-6871.
Haven’t applied and need help?
Contact us or phone 905-575-2460.
Take a virtual campus tour
Explore Mohawk College from the comfort of home! Our virtual campus tours provide a guided visit of our buildings, labs, services, classrooms and athletic and recreation centre.
Learn about program delivery terms.
Domestic and International student admission requirements
- OSSD or equivalent (Mohawk Academic Upgrading, GED) including:
- Grade 12 English, C or U or equivalent
- Grade 12 Mathematics; MAP4C ≥ 80% or MCT4C (recommended); or any U or equivalent
Language Requirements for Applicants with English as a Second Language
- See below for accepted equivalents for Grade 12 English:
- Successful completion of the GAS-English for Academic Purposes (478 or 278) program
- TOEFL minimum score of 550 (80 Internet based)
- or IELTS Academic minimum score of 6.0 overall with no band less than 5.5
- More information about acceptable certificates, can be found on the International Admission Requirements
Tuition and Fees
2023 - 2024 Domestic Tuition and Fees
|Compulsory Ancillary Fees
|Compulsory Program Fees
|Total Domestic Charges Per Semester
|Total 1st Year Fees
Above fees based on full-time September program start date. Contact Student Services to confirm fees for other start dates or semesters.
- Full Cost Breakdown
- Explore payment options
- Book costs for your program can be found through the Campus Store
2023 - 2024 International Tuition and Fees
|Total Tuition & Ancillary Fee
|Program Compulsory Fees
|International Tax Recovery
|Total International Per Semester
|Total 1st Year Fees
If you pay by wire transfer, please note your bank might charge you a fee to transfer money. Make sure your transfer includes the Mohawk payment and the wire transfer fee. This applies to each wire transfer payment you make.
When it comes to paying for your education, investing in your future can be more affordable than you think. A Mohawk education is one of the most cost-effective means of acquiring the skills and knowledge you need to have a prosperous and rewarding career.
As you start on your chosen career path, it's important to have a realistic set of expectations regarding the expenses associated with attending college. In addition to your tuition fees, you will also need to budget for books, supplies, housing, and other related living expenses. You may be able to supplement your income and savings with scholarships, bursaries, or loans. It pays to do some research into what types of financial assistance you may qualify for.
Available Financial Assistance Resources:
- OSAP Eligible. Learn about Ontario Student Assistance Program - OSAP (domestic students only)
- Working on Campus
- Additional Sources of Funding
- Financial Assistance Home Page
Apply for Awards:
By submitting a Scholarships and Bursaries Application every semester, students have access to over $3 million in Mohawk College scholarships, bursaries and Ministry-partnered funding to help meet their financial needs.
Financial Literacy and Money Coaching:
Whether saving for school, sticking to a budget, or planning for a major purchase, financial literacy affects us all. That's why Mo' Money is committed to helping our students improve their money skills and become more confident with their money.
Course Overview & Descriptions
Click on the course title for a course description.
How you’ll gain skills
- Gain valuable experience during co-op work terms.
- Gain practical hands-on lab experience using state-of-the-art equipment.
- Experience interactive simulations.
- Apply cumulative program knowledge through a capstone research project.
This co-op program has been accredited by CEWIL Canada. This represents the highest standard of achievement for co-op programs in Canada.
|September to December
|January to April
|May to August
|Semester 1 or 2
|Vacation or Semester 2
|Work Term 1 (Co-op)
|Work Term 2 (Co-op)
|Work Term 3 (Co-op)
|Work Term 4 (Co-op)
Co-op Delivery and Fees
This program has a mandatory co-op, as part of the program of study. The annual co-op fee structure can be found on the Tuition and Fees page.
For questions, please contact the Co-op Specialist listed at the bottom of the webpage.
Driver’s License and Vehicle
Please note that the majority of co-op positions for this program require that students have a valid driver’s license ('G' class preferred) and access to a vehicle.
This program offers four co-op work term opportunities but requires two completed co-op work terms for the co-op designation.
Work Term Capabilities
Semester skill is acquired on campus as outlined below. Additional experience and exposure is also gained on work term assignments and is not necessarily reflected in capabilities.
Work Term 1
- Manufacturing Processes
- Production Control
- Quality Management Systems
- Quality Assurance
- 2D Drawing eg. AutoCAD
- 3D Drawing eg. SolidWorks
Work Term 2, 3 and 4 (Capabilities as outlined in Work Term 1 plus)
- CNC Programming
- Lean Thinking
- Automated Process Application
- Advanced PLC Programming
- Process Planning
- Machine Design
- Strength of Materials
- Materials Engineering and Testing
- Fluid Mechanics
- Enhanced program provides a solid background in applications and theory in mechanical engineering, including design, manufacturing, automation and robotics, energy conversion and transmission, and engineering materials
- Students learn how to use CAD solid modeling analysis techniques and rapid prototyping to design mechanical components and assemblies
- Develop skills in Robotics, CNC and Computer Integrated Manufacturing
- Enhance technical communication and project management skills in order to function effectively as part of a design team and improve the quality of final products and processes
- Tailor final year’s pathway to suit industry of choice through the use of advanced technical options in Lean Engineering, Thermo-Fluids or Materials/Metal Casting
- Graduates and final year students are eligible to register as associate members of the Association of Certified Technicians and Technologists (OACETT) and are prepared for other certifications
Technology or Applied Science Programs
The Ontario Association of Certified Engineering Technicians and Technologists (OACETT) conditionally recognizes this program as meeting all of the academic requirements for certification in the Certified Engineering Technologist (CET) or Applied Science Technologist (AscT) category. Graduates and final year students are immediately eligible to be registered as Associate members of OACETT upon submission of the Graduate Application form available through OACETT. Additional requirements to become certified (work experience, the OACETT Professional Practice Examination, the OACETT Technology Report, peer references, etc.) will be requested once the application has been received. Requirements for certification are the jurisdiction of OACETT.
Graduates from this program may qualify for entry to McMaster University's B.Tech. program.
|Co-op Pay Range
|Co-op Pay Average
|Range: $16.55 - $26.00
For further information, please contact:
Krislynn McKinlay, Co-op Specialist
Email: krislynn.mckinlay [at] mohawkcollege.ca (Krislynn McKinlay)
Program Learning Outcomes, often referred to as ‘Program Standards', set out the essential learning that a student must achieve before being deemed ready to graduate.
In many cases these program learning outcomes were developed by the Ministry of Colleges and Universities (MCU) in consultation with employers and educators who are experts in the program field. To ensure the outcomes remain current and in line with industry needs, we invite our employers, graduates working in the field and current students to re-examine and update them during regular, ongoing program review focus groups.
Your future career options
- Mechanical Engineering Technologists
Where you could work includes:
- Foundries, Metal Casting
- Mechanical Design
- Automated Machinery Design
- Technical Sales
- Quality Control
Opportunities for grads
- Graduates may be eligible to register as associate members of the Ontario Association of Certified Technicians and Technologists (OACETT).
Pathways to Mohawk
If you've successfully taken a course at another post-secondary institution, you may be able to earn course exemptions toward your credential here at Mohawk.
Pathways within Mohawk
If you have successfully completed one of the following programs at Mohawk, you may be eligible to receive transfer credit in this program. *
This Pathways map shows how the identified program can lead to future program choices within Mohawk.
Pathways beyond Mohawk
Earn a degree:
- Davenport University - Bachelor of Business Administration, General Busines
- McMaster University - Bachelor of Technology in Manufacturing Engineering Technology
- McMaster University - Bachelor of Technology in Power and Energy Engineering Technology
See ontransfer.ca for additional opportunities at other colleges or universities in Ontario.
Search the Mohawk Transfer Database for opportunities outside of Ontario.
General Purpose Classroom PC
- Windows 10 capability (software is provided)
- 16 GB of RAM
- The chipset should support virtualization. If it is an Intel product it will say VT-x in the specs.
- We use Apps Anywhere in College PC labs to run many software titles.
- Associate Dean: maura.lecce [at] mohawkcollege.ca (Maura Lecce)
Domestic Canadian Students
Contact Student Recruitment
Haven’t applied yet and have questions?
Contact our Student Recruitment team for information on programs, how to apply, and more.
Contact our Admissions advisors for help with your application.
Contact International Student Recruitment
Contact our International Student Recruitment team for information on programs, how to apply, and student life.
Toll free phone numbers:
For general questions: 1-888-Mohawk9 (1-888-664-2959)
North China: 10-800-714-2521
South China: 10-800-140-2541