Mechanical Engineering Technology - 529
- Graduates are prepared for a variety of careers including mechanical design, manufacturing, lean optimization, preventive & predictive maintenance, and project management. The classroom, hands-on labs and co-op work introduce students to a variety of technologies including industrial robotics, automation, CAD, solid modelling, mechatronics and others.
- The only postsecondary program in Canada certified by the Foundry Educational Foundation (FEF), with many of our students receiving scholarships annually.
- Partnerships with major companies including; FANUC Robotics, Rockwell Automation, Siemens and Mitutoyo ensure this program teaches leading edge technology that will give you the skills to be ready for the workforce!
- The program covers foundational engineering, develops theoretical understanding, and offers students the opportunity to apply their knowledge in advanced labs.
What you will learn
- How to use computer aided design (AutoCAD and SolidWorks) to design mechanical components and assemblies in 3D.
- Skills in robotics, PLC programming and CMM with embedded industrial certifications.
- Technical communication, critical thinking and project management skills.
- Principles of quality, advanced manufacturing and how to develop sustainable manufacturing processes.
- Tailor your final year to suit your career of choice! Select among advanced technical options in Automation, Advanced Manufacturing, Advanced Design, Metal Casting and Capstone Projects.
Mohawk College’s Mechanical Engineering Technology program gives you the knowledge and skills to contribute immediately in a wide variety of industries and careers. This program focuses on the applications and theory of mechanical engineering, including design, advanced manufacturing, engineering materials and automation/robotics. Take your theoretical and practical skills, combined with your co-op job experience, and graduate with confidence, knowing that this program has prepared you for a successful career!
Foundry Educational Foundation (FEF) Certified
FEF provides resources to certified metalcasting programs to develop technical talent for the industry. FEF is the metalcasting industry's link to colleges and universities in North America.
Embedded Credential Opportunities
While completing this program, you will have the opportunity to obtain certifications in SolidWorks Professional and FANUC Robotics Operation.
3 academic years (periods of 8 months) and a 12-month co-op
Visit Open House Plus, an on-demand, curated collection of videos, interviews and blogs about our programs, student services and supports! Get answers to your questions, watch video greeting from Deans and faculty, stay up-to-date on virtual events and more.
We’re here for you to support applications and admissions by providing online and virtual service.
Applied and have questions?
The admissions team is available to help, you can contact them via Admissions or by phone at 1-844-767-6871.
Haven’t applied and need help?
Contact us or phone 905-575-2460.
Tuition and Fees
Tuition and Fees
2020 - 2021 Domestic Tuition and Fees
|Semester 1||Semester 2|
|Compulsory Ancillary Fees||$753.47||$698.20|
|Compulsory Program Fees||$0.00||$0.00|
|Total Domestic Charges Per Semester||$2,423.69||$2,316.94|
|Total 1st Year Fees||$4,740.63|
Above fees based on full-time September program start date. Contact Student Services to confirm fees for other start dates or semesters.
- Awards: Scholarships and Bursaries
- OSAP Eligible. Learn about Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP).
- Full Cost Breakdown
2020 - 2021 International Tuition and Fees
|Semester 1||Semester 2|
|Total Tuition & Ancillary Fee||$7,879.00||$7,935.00|
|Program Compulsory Fees||$0.00||$0.00|
|International Tax Recovery||$450.00||$375.00|
|Total International Per Semester||$8,645.18||$8,574.70|
|Total 1st Year Fees||$17,219.88|
- International Scholarships and Bursaries
- OSAP not eligible for International Students
- Full Cost Breakdown
If you pay by wire transfer, please note your bank might charge you a fee to transfer money. Make sure your transfer includes the Mohawk payment and the wire transfer fee. This applies to each wire transfer payment you make.
Domestic and International student admission requirements
- OSSD or equivalent (Mohawk Academic Upgrading, GED) including:
- Grade 12 English, C or U or equivalent
- Grade 12 Mathematics; MAP4C ≥ 80% or MCT4C; or any U or equivalent
- Senior Physics and Chemistry are recommended
- We strongly recommend MCT4C
- Students should have a working knowledge of MS Office and Office Suite prior to starting the program. Computer Skills for College COMP CO002 or equivalent is recommended. Register online at our Continuing Education webpage
Note: Applicants that do not satisfy minimum requirements will be provided an alternate offer to Pre-Technology as a pathway/foundation to desired program. Successful graduates from this program will be considered for advanced standing into original program choice.
Language Requirements for International Students:
- See below for accepted equivalents for Grade 12 English:
Applicants whose first language is not English will be required to demonstrate proficiency in English. Options are available for mature applicants.
How you’ll gain skills
Gain valuable experience during co-op work terms.
Gain practical hands-on lab experience using state-of-the-art equipment.
Experience interactive simulations.
- Apply cumulative program knowledge through a capstone research project.
To learn more, please visit the Centre for Experiential Learning.
|September to December||January to April||May to August|
|Semester 1||Semester 1 or 2||Vacation or Semester 2|
|Semester 3||Semester 4||Work Term 1 (Co-op)|
|Semester 5||Work Term 2 (Co-op)||Work Term 3 (Co-op)|
|Work Term 4 (Co-op)||Semester 6|
Work Term Capabilities
Semester skill is acquired on campus as outlined below. Additional experience and exposure is also gained on work term assignments and is not necessarily reflected in capabilities.
Work Term 1
- Manufacturing Processes
- Production Control
- Quality Management Systems
- Quality Assurance
- 2D Drawing eg. AutoCAD
- 3D Drawing eg. SolidWorks
Work Term 2, 3 and 4 (Capabilities as outlined in Work Term 1 plus)
- CNC Programming
- Lean Thinking
- Automated Process Application
- Advanced PLC Programming
- Process Planning
- Machine Design
- Strength of Materials
- Materials Engineering and Testing
- Fluid Mechanics
Enhanced program provides a solid background in applications and theory in mechanical engineering, including design, manufacturing, automation and robotics, energy conversion and transmission, and engineering materials
Students learn how to use CAD solid modeling analysis techniques and rapid prototyping to design mechanical components and assemblies
Develop skills in Robotics, CNC and Computer Integrated Manufacturing
Enhance technical communication and project management skills in order to function effectively as part of a design team and improve the quality of final products and processes
Tailor final year’s pathway to suit industry of choice through the use of advanced technical options in Lean Engineering, Thermo-Fluids or Materials/Metal Casting
Graduates and final year students are eligible to register as associate members of the Association of Certified Technicians and Technologists (OACETT) and are prepared for other certifications
Technology or Applied Science Programs
The Ontario Association of Certified Engineering Technicians and Technologists (OACETT) conditionally recognizes this program as meeting all of the academic requirements for certification in the Certified Engineering Technologist (CET) or Applied Science Technologist (AscT) category. Graduates and final year students are immediately eligible to be registered as Associate members of OACETT upon submission of the Graduate Application form available through OACETT. Additional requirements to become certified (work experience, the OACETT Professional Practice Examination, the OACETT Technology Report, peer references, etc.) will be requested once the application has been received. Requirements for certification are the jurisdiction of OACETT.
Graduates from this program may qualify for entry to McMaster University's B.Tech. program.
|Range: $14.00 - $28.50||Average: $18.25|
For further information, please contact:
Lisa Dietrich, Co-op Specialist
Email: stacey.macdonald2 [at] mohawkcollege.ca (L)lisa.dietrich [at] mohawkcollege.ca (isa Dietrich)
Mohawk offers a diverse range of programs to further your studies**: Students that graduate from any of the following Ontario College Certificate programs are eligible to enroll into the Mechanical Engineering Technology program:
- Earn a degree:
Davenport University - Bachelor of Business Administration, General Business
McMaster University - Bachelor of Technology in Manufacturing Engineering Technology
McMaster University - Bachelor of Technology in Power and Energy Engineering Technology
- Visit Transfer for degree completion opportunities outside of Ontario.
- See ontransfer.ca for additional opportunities at other colleges or universities in Ontario.
View our internal pathways map PDF. This Pathways map shows how the identified program can lead to future program choices within Mohawk.
Your future career options
- Mechanical Engineering Technologists
Where you could work includes:
- Foundries, Metal Casting
- Mechanical Design
- Automated Machinery Design
- Technical Sales
- Quality Control
Opportunities for grads
- Graduates may be eligible to register as associate members of the Ontario Association of Certified Technicians and Technologists (OACETT).
Program of Studies
Course Overview & Descriptions
Click on the course title for a course description.
Program Learning Outcomes, often referred to as ‘Program Standards', set out the essential learning that a student must achieve before being deemed ready to graduate.
In many cases these program learning outcomes were developed by the Ministry of Colleges and Universities (MCU) in consultation with employers and educators who are experts in the program field. To ensure the outcomes remain current and in line with industry needs, we invite our employers, graduates working in the field and current students to re-examine and update them during regular, ongoing program review focus groups.
General Purpose Classroom PC
- Windows 10 capability (software is provided)
- 16 GB of RAM
- The chipset should support virtualization. If it is an Intel product it will say VT-x in the specs.
- We use Apps Anywhere in College PC labs to run many software titles.
Domestic Canadian Students
Contact Student Recruitment
Haven’t applied yet and have questions?
Contact our Student Recruitment team for information on programs, how to apply, and more.
Contact our Admissions advisors for help with your application.
Contact International Student Recruitment
Contact our International Student Recruitment team for information on programs, how to apply, and student life.
Toll free phone numbers:
For general questions: 1-888-Mohawk9 (1-888-664-2959)
North China: 10-800-714-2521
South China: 10-800-140-2541
Student Success Advisors
Student Success Advisors
Student Success Advisors assist current students to transition to college life, co-creating an academic success plan, advice on course selection, changing programs, or referrals to specialized support services. If you need help applying to Mohawk, contact Admissions (for International Students, please contact International Admissions).