Biotechnology - Advanced - 671
- Elite program at the technologist level provides sought-after lab skills and training in cutting-edge trends in the biotechnology field.
- Graduates have enhanced opportunities for biotechnology careers and pathways to university.
What you'll learn
Fundamentals of applied molecular biology, genetics, biochemistry, microbiology, pharmacology, analytical instrumentation and bioengineering.
Investigate the advanced topics of clinical trials, drug discovery, cell culture, environmental biology and laboratory management.
Take a virtual tour
3 academic years (periods of 8 months)
We’re here for you to support applications and admissions by providing online and virtual service.
Applied and have questions?
The admissions team is available to help, you can contact them via Admissions or by phone at 1-844-767-6871.
Haven’t applied and need help?
Contact us or phone 905-575-2460.
Take a virtual campus tour!
Explore Mohawk College from the comfort of home! Our virtual campus tours provide a guided visit of our buildings, labs, services, classrooms and athletic and recreation centre.
- OSSD or equivalent (Mohawk Academic Upgrading, GED) including:
- Grade 12 English, C or U or equivalent
- Grade 12 Mathematics; MAP4C ≥ 80% or MCT4C; or any U or equivalent*
- Senior Science (Chemistry or Biology) is recommended
- Options are available for mature applicants
Language Requirements for International Students:
- See below for accepted equivalents for Grade 12 English:
Tuition and Fees
2022 - 2023 Domestic Tuition and Fees
|Description||Semester 1||Semester 2|
|Compulsory Ancillary Fees||$846.45||$727.48|
|Compulsory Program Fees||$0.00||$0.00|
|Total Domestic Charges Per Semester||$2,794.76||$2,675.79|
|Total 1st Year Fees||$5,470.55|
Above fees based on full-time September program start date. Contact Student Services to confirm fees for other start dates or semesters.
- Awards: Scholarships and Bursaries
- OSAP Eligible. Learn about Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP).
- Full Cost Breakdown
2022 - 2023 International Tuition and Fees
|Description||Semester 1||Semester 2|
|Total Tuition & Ancillary Fee||$8,770.00||$8,770.00|
|Program Compulsory Fees||$0.00||$0.00|
|International Tax Recovery||$450.00||$375.00|
|Total International Per Semester||$9,220.00||$9145.00|
|Total 1st Year Fees||$18,365.00|
- International Scholarships and Bursaries
- OSAP not eligible for International Students
- Full Cost Breakdown
If you pay by wire transfer, please note your bank might charge you a fee to transfer money. Make sure your transfer includes the Mohawk payment and the wire transfer fee. This applies to each wire transfer payment you make.
Course Overview & Descriptions
Click on the course title for a course description.
How you’ll gain skills
- Receive classroom instruction combined with hands-on laboratory experience to perform and coordinate tasks in the following areas:
- DNA analysis including electrophoresis, cloning and PCR (polymerase chain reaction)
- Protein analysis including electrophoresis and chromatography
- DNA and protein absorption spectrophotometry
- Basic and Advanced techniques in microbiology
- Cell Biology and Cell Culture
- Food safety
- Immunology and Virology
Explore academic content through field trips and site visits.
Program Learning Outcomes, often referred to as ‘Program Standards', set out the essential learning that a student must achieve before being deemed ready to graduate.
In many cases these program learning outcomes were developed by the Ministry of Colleges and Universities (MCU) in consultation with employers and educators who are experts in the program field. To ensure the outcomes remain current and in line with industry needs, we invite our employers, graduates working in the field and current students to re-examine and update them during regular, ongoing program review focus groups.
Your future career options
- Biotech Laboratory Technologist
- Biotech Production and Technical Sales Representative
- Production Management
- Quality Control
- Water Treatment
- Biotech Research
Where you could work includes:
- Food and Agriculture
- Biotechnology Research
- Pharmaceutical and Biologic Production
- Bioscience Laboratories (Public & Private)
- Water/Waste Water Facilities
- Bioremediation Companies
- Biofuel Companies
Opportunities for grads
Graduates may be eligible to be registered as associate members of The Ontario Association of Certified Engineering Technicians and Technologists (OACETT).
Pathways to Mohawk
If you've successfully taken a course at another post-secondary institution, you may be able to earn course exemptions toward your credential here at Mohawk.
Pathways within Mohawk
If you have successfully completed one of the following programs at Mohawk, you may be eligible to receive transfer credit in this program. *
We offer a diverse range of programs to further your studies within Mohawk following completion of this program. *
This Pathways map shows how the identified program can lead to future program choices within Mohawk.
Pathways beyond Mohawk
Earn a degree:
- Fanshawe College - Honours Bachelor of Applied Technology - Biotechnology
- Qualified graduates may apply to the McMaster-Mohawk Bachelor of Technology - Biotechnology Combined Degree/Diploma Program to enter Year 3 of the program. Contact the usha.vivegananthan [at] mohawkcollege.ca (program coordinator) at Mohawk College or the McMaster Faculty of Engineering at thinkeng [at] mcmaster.ca directly for more information.
See ontransfer.ca for additional opportunities at other colleges or universities in Ontario.
Search the Mohawk Transfer Database for opportunities outside of Ontario.
Computer capable of running Microsoft Office 365, good internet access.
Domestic Canadian Students
Contact Student Recruitment
Haven’t applied yet and have questions?
Contact our Student Recruitment team for information on programs, how to apply, and more.
Contact our Admissions advisors for help with your application.
Contact International Student Recruitment
Contact our International Student Recruitment team for information on programs, how to apply, and student life.
Toll free phone numbers:
For general questions: 1-888-Mohawk9 (1-888-664-2959)
North China: 10-800-714-2521
South China: 10-800-140-2541