Paralegal - 285
Paralegals act independently to represent clients in provincial offences court for cases involving highway traffic offences, municipal by-law issues, liquor licensing, occupational health and safety, and civil litigation matters presented in small claims court. They also represent clients in the Ontario Court of Justice when charges involve less serious criminal offences, or in tribunal proceedings such as the Workplace Safety and Insurance Appeals Tribunal, the Human Rights Commission, and the Landlord and Tenant Board. In Ontario, paralegals are non-lawyer licensed agents who provide the public with legal services in specified areas of practice for a fee.
- Combine theory and practice using Mohawk’s Mock Courtroom.
- Program Accreditation through Law Society of Ontario (LSO).
Industry-Experienced Faculty licensed by the LSO.
College offers Statutory Accident Benefits Course.
Ideal pathway for Pre-Justice graduates.
What you'll learn
- Develop skills and knowledge within the parameters established by the Law Society of Ontario (LSO) and the Law Society Act.
Written and oral advocacy skills, ethical and professional conduct in legal processes, administrative law, alternative dispute resolution, highway traffic act, small claims court, administrative tribunals, torts and contracts, employment law, immigration, and residential tenancy.
Sound theoretical and practical foundation in all areas of authorized legal practice, legal ethics, small business practice and business management skills.
Structure, work and organization of the Ontario court system, and of quasi-judicial administrative boards, tribunals and regulatory bodies.
How to work as an effective legal team member.
2 academic years (periods of 8 months)
Fast Track - allows students to complete a two-year Diploma program in 16 months. Students will start in January and be in school for four continuous semesters: Winter, Spring/Summer, Fall and Winter. Students will not be off during the summer.
We’re here for you to support applications and admissions by providing online and virtual service.
Applied and have questions?
The admissions team is available to help, you can contact them via Admissions or by phone at 1-844-767-6871.
Haven’t applied and need help?
Contact us or phone 905-575-2460.
Take a virtual campus tour!
Explore Mohawk College from the comfort of home! Our virtual campus tours provide a guided visit of our buildings, labs, services, classrooms and athletic and recreation centre.
Domestic and International student admission requirements
- OSSD or equivalent (GED, Academic Upgrading, College and Career preparation) including:
- Grade 12 English, C or U equivalent 70% guideline
- Law and Justice studies courses recommended, not mandatory
- Computer software skills required
- Ideal for Pre-Justice graduates
- Applicants are encouraged to research the Ontario paralegal profession before applying for admission. Visit the Law Society of Ontario website and check out Latest News/Paralegal Regulation links
- Participation in an Orientation Session, Police Criminal Records Check (PCRC) and written assignment submission may be used for applicant selection
- See below for accepted equivalents for Grade 12 English:
Applicants whose first language is not English will be required to demonstrate proficiency in English. Options are available for mature applicants.
Tuition and Fees
2021 - 2022 Domestic Tuition and Fees
|Description||Semester 1||Semester 2|
Compulsory Ancillary Fees
Compulsory Program Fees
|Total Domestic Charges Per Semester||$2,185.06||$2,653.73|
|Total 1st Year Fees||$4,838.79|
Above fees based on full-time September program start date. Contact Student Services to confirm fees for other start dates or semesters.
- Awards: Scholarships and Bursaries
- OSAP Eligible. Learn about Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP).
- Full Cost Breakdown
2021 - 2022 International Tuition and Fees
|Description||Semester 1||Semester 2|
|Total Tuition & Ancillary Fees||$8,095.00||$8,095.00|
Program Compulsory Fees
|International Tax Recovery||$450.00||$375.00|
|Total International Charges Per Semester||$8,545.00||$9,057.64|
|Total 1st Year Fees||$17,602.64|
- International Scholarships and Bursaries
- OSAP not eligible for International Students
- Full Cost Breakdown
If you pay by wire transfer, please note your bank might charge you a fee to transfer money. Make sure your transfer includes the Mohawk payment and the wire transfer fee. This applies to each wire transfer payment you make.
Course Overview & Descriptions
Click on the course title for a course description.
How you'll gain skills
- Participate in interactive courtroom simulations, to further develop course concepts.
- Experience an unpaid 140 hour Practicum Placement.
- Explore academic content through field trips and site visits.
- Test and apply course concepts through current software in our computer labs.
- Classroom instruction is enhanced by a 140 hour placement in a law-related setting in Semester 4
- Applicants are advised that there are specific requirements that must be completed prior to participating in a Practicum Placement.
- A police check will be required.
For more information please visit the Paralegal Practicum Placement page.
Program Learning Outcomes, often referred to as ‘Program Standards', set out the essential learning that a student must achieve before being deemed ready to graduate.
In many cases these program learning outcomes were developed by the Ministry of Colleges and Universities (MCU) in consultation with employers and educators who are experts in the program field. To ensure the outcomes remain current and in line with industry needs, we invite our employers, graduates working in the field and current students to re-examine and update them during regular, ongoing program review focus groups.
Your future career options
Where you could work includes
- Administrative Tribunals
- Government Agencies
- Provincial Courts
- Private Law Offices
- Community Clinics
Opportunities for grads
- On successful completion of the program, participants will be prepared to write Law Society of Ontario P1 (Paralegal) Licence examination.
Pathways to Mohawk
If you've successfully taken a course at another post-secondary institution, you may be able to earn course exemptions toward your credential here at Mohawk.
Pathways within Mohawk
If you have successfully completed one of the following programs at Mohawk, you may be eligible to receive transfer credit in this program. *
This Pathways map shows how the identified program can lead to future program choices within Mohawk.
Pathways beyond Mohawk
See ontransfer.ca for additional opportunities at other colleges or universities in Ontario.
Search the Mohawk Transfer Database for opportunities outside of Ontario.
Domestic Canadian Students
Contact Student Recruitment
Haven’t applied yet and have questions?
Contact our Student Recruitment team for information on programs, how to apply, and more.
Contact our Admissions advisors for help with your application.
Contact International Student Recruitment
Contact our International Student Recruitment team for information on programs, how to apply, and student life.
Toll free phone numbers:
For general questions: 1-888-Mohawk9 (1-888-664-2959)
North China: 10-800-714-2521
South China: 10-800-140-2541