Health, Wellness and Fitness - 268
- Field placements in a variety of settings such as recreational therapy centres, varsity teams, physiotherapy clinics, school boards, retirement residences, large corporate gyms, small private businesses and more.
- Experiential learning and events in collaboration with industry partners including Fit to Pitch and Wellness Expo.
- Experience a cadaver lab tour at McMaster University
- Students may challenge fitness certifications
- Many pathways to further education
- Get involved in special events and volunteer opportunities.
What you'll learn
- Strategies to improve quality of life for people of various ages and abilities.
- Work with specialists of specific populations such as emergency service personnel, children, older adults, pregnant women or those with increased medical risk factors such as diabetes and high blood pressure.
- Study topics such as athletic injury management, sport psychology and exercise physiology, anatomy, biomechanics, wellness management strategies and many more.
2 academic years (periods of 8 months)
Fast Track - allows students to complete a two-year Diploma program in 16 months. Students will start in January and be in school for four continuous semesters: Winter, Spring/Summer, Fall and Winter. Students will not be off during the summer.
Explore our many videos, online resources and program options within the Open House Plus website.
We’re here for you to support applications and admissions by providing online and virtual service.
Applied and have questions?
The admissions team is available to help, you can contact them via Admissions or by phone at 1-844-767-6871.
Haven’t applied and need help?
Contact us or phone 905-575-2460.
Domestic and International student admission requirements
- OSSD or equivalent (Mohawk Academic Upgrading, GED) including:
- Grade 12 English, C or U or equivalent
- Senior Science courses recommended
Language Requirements for International Students:
- See below for accepted equivalents for Grade 12 English:
Applicants whose first language is not English will be required to demonstrate proficiency in English. Options are available for mature applicants.
Tuition and Fees
Tuition and Fees
2021 - 2022 Domestic Tuition and Fees
|Description||Semester 1||Semester 2|
Compulsory Ancillary Fees
Compulsory Program Fees
|Total Domestic Charges Per Semester||$2,185.06||$2,174.09|
|Total 1st Year Fees||$4,359.15|
Above fees based on full-time September program start date. Contact Student Services to confirm fees for other start dates or semesters.
- Awards: Scholarships and Bursaries
- OSAP Eligible. Learn about Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP).
- Full Cost Breakdown
2021 - 2022 International Tuition and Fees
|Description||Semester 1||Semester 2|
Total Tuition & Ancillary Fees
Program Compulsory Fees
|International Tax Recovery||$450.00||$375.00|
|Total International Charges Per Semester||$8,545.00||$8,578.00|
|Total 1st Year Fees||$17,123.00|
- International Scholarships and Bursaries
- OSAP not eligible for International Students
- Full Cost Breakdown
If you pay by wire transfer, please note your bank might charge you a fee to transfer money. Make sure your transfer includes the Mohawk payment and the wire transfer fee. This applies to each wire transfer payment you make.
Program of Studies
Course Overview & Descriptions
Click on the course title for a course description.
How you'll gain skills
- Participate in two unpaid field placements totalling 72 hours.
- Through a mix of on-campus labs and simulations.
- Explore academic content through field trips and site visits.
- Apply cumulative program knowledge through a capstone research project.
- Provides an opportunity for students to get hands-on experience with real clients in a variety of settings including health screening and assessments, coaching and health promotion activities that encourage lifestyle change
- Field placements may occur at locations that are not accessible by public transit. As such, students shall be expected to either have access to a car or the ability to supply their own transportation when attending field placement activity. Mohawk shall not be responsible for providing students with transportation to field placements
- Applicants are advised that there are specific requirements that must be completed prior to participating in a field placement and that it is their responsibility to ensure the requirements are met
- Numerous fitness based placements in a variety of settings: community, not-for-profit, physiotherapy, fitness facility, hospitals and clinics, youth athletics, etc.
- Accepted applicants are required to have the following completed prior to field placement and are responsible for the associated costs:
- Standard First Aid
- CPR recertification required annually while in the program
- Up to date appropriate police check
- Registered students who have been convicted of an offence under the criminal code for which they have not been pardoned may be denied the opportunity to enter or continue in a placement while in the program
- Contact the Health, Wellness, and Fitness program area for more information.
To learn more, please visit the Centre for Experiential Learning.
The Clinic provides the opportunity for Professionals in Training to gain hands-on skills in our first-class teaching clinic to garner Future Ready Massage Therapists and Qualified Exercise Professionals. Students are supervised by Registered Massage Therapists and Qualified Exercise Professionals as they provide safe and effective treatments and training to their clients. Visit The Clinic
Program Learning Outcomes, often referred to as ‘Program Standards', set out the essential learning that a student must achieve before being deemed ready to graduate.
In many cases these program learning outcomes were developed by the Ministry of Colleges and Universities (MCU) in consultation with employers and educators who are experts in the program field. To ensure the outcomes remain current and in line with industry needs, we invite our employers, graduates working in the field and current students to re-examine and update them during regular, ongoing program review focus groups.
Your future career options
- Personal Trainer
- Group Fitness Trainer
- Group Fitness Instructor
- Fitness Facility Manager/Owner
Where you could work includes:
- Professional Health and Wellness Centres
- Large Corporations – Health and Wellness Centres
- Private Health Clubs
- Small Business Ownership
- Municipal Recreation Centres
- Amateur and Professional Sports Teams - Health and Wellness
- Emergency Services
- Fitness Training
Opportunities for grads
- Students will have the opportunity to challenge for the following certifications:
canfitpro – Personal Training Specialist*
CPTN – Certified Personal Trainers Network*
CSEP - Certified Personal Trainer
NSCA – Certified Personal Trainer*
ACE – Personal Trainer Certification
*Complete this at a reduced cost
Pathways to Mohawk
If you've successfully taken a course at another post-secondary institution, you may be able to earn course exemptions toward your credential here at Mohawk.
Pathways within Mohawk
If you have successfully completed one of the following programs at Mohawk, you may be eligible to receive transfer credit in this program. *
- Career Pathways
- General Arts and Science Certificate (College Transfer)
- General Arts and Science - English for Academic Purposes
- Pre-Health Sciences Pathway to Advanced Diplomas and Degrees
- Pre-Health Sciences Pathway to Certificates and Diplomas
- General Arts and Science Diploma (University Transfer)
- Occupational Therapist Assistant and Physiotherapist Assistant
- Police Foundations
We offer a diverse range of programs to further your studies within Mohawk following completion of this program. *
This Pathways map shows how the identified program can lead to future program choices within Mohawk.
Pathways beyond Mohawk
Earn a degree:
Davenport University - Bachelor of Business Administration Sport Management
Queen Margaret University - Bachelor of Science (Honours) Physical Activity, Health & Wellbeing
Robert Gordon University - Bachelor of Science (Honours) Applied Sports & Exercise Science
Technological University of the Shannon - Bachelor of Science (Honours) Sports Strength and Conditioning
See ontransfer.ca for additional opportunities at other colleges or universities in Ontario.
Search the Mohawk Transfer Database for opportunities outside of Ontario.
Industry Certification Options
Mohawk College Health, Wellness and Fitness is pleased to offer unique industry certification options to our students and recent graduates.
Health Wellness Fitness Certification Options 2019 – 2020
Wellness Expo – Biggest ever yet!
- The Wellness Expo is proudly presented by the Health, Wellness and Fitness students at Mohawk College and is free of charge for all students, staff, alumni and community members.
- Third-semester students spend an entire semester learning about Wellness management strategies and how they can be utilized to improve overall Wellness. The result? Over 40 unique and interactive booths with valuable information on a variety of topics such as healthy eating, mental health, exercise and managing stress.
- This evening gives students an opportunity to share their knowledge with the community, while also practicing their professionalism and presentation skills.
- Students who have participated in the Wellness Expo have found it a challenging yet rewarding learning experience.
Fit to Pitch
Mohawk College is proud to offer one of the most cutting edge Health, Wellness and Fitness Diplomas in the country. In the final semester, students will be guided through a project that is culminating in a Pitch Night (think "Dragon's Den"). Our innovative and entrepreneurial students develop their business plans and start-up ideas. These businesses are real or hypothetical. For this competition, the top teams will pitch their newly proposed Health, Wellness or Fitness companies to invited industry guests.
Fit to Pitch is also a significant networking event that features roundtable discussions with industry guests and students. This was without a doubt, the highlight of the evening for most students last year.
The student feedback was overwhelming – the opportunity to meet with and learn from the best of the best was one of the highlights of their college career.
Domestic Canadian Students
Contact Student Recruitment
Haven’t applied yet and have questions?
Contact our Student Recruitment team for information on programs, how to apply, and more.
Contact our Admissions advisors for help with your application.
Contact International Student Recruitment
Contact our International Student Recruitment team for information on programs, how to apply, and student life.
Toll free phone numbers:
For general questions: 1-888-Mohawk9 (1-888-664-2959)
North China: 10-800-714-2521
South China: 10-800-140-2541
Student Success Advisors
Student Success Advisors
Student Success Advisors assist current students to transition to college life, co-creating an academic success plan, advice on course selection, changing programs, or referrals to specialized support services. If you need help applying to Mohawk, contact Admissions (for International Students, please contact International Admissions).