Journalism - 297
- Canada's first journalism program to incorporate accessible media production as part of the core curriculum.
- Cutting-edge multimedia tools and skills that will uniquely position you in the content creation job market after graduation.
What you'll learn
- Principles and practices of professional journalism.
- Professional story telling and communication skills.
- Research and data evaluation techniques.
- How to effectively use social media tools such as Twitter and Facebook to engage an audience.
- Content production for real organizations.
Mohawk's Journalism program has the highest overall student satisfaction rate of any 3-year journalism program in Ontario.
Mohawk's Journalism program gives you the practical skills and knowledge to succeed as a journalist or communications professional in today's multimedia news environment.
Whether you want to be a print or television reporter, on-air host, or work behind the scenes, you'll receive the hands-on training and experience you need to enter the exciting world of journalism.You will practice the craft of reporting with state-of-the-art digital equipment, under the guidance of industry professionals.
3 academic years (period of 8 months) includes a 7 week field placement
University graduates fast track option
Students with a university degree are eligible to enter directly into the second year of the program after taking a seven-week intensive journalism fundamentals course in the spring semester. Other candidates applying for entry into the fast-track option will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
Join us at our Open House Events
Why you should attend an Open House
- Get information on Mohawk's 100+ programs and meet staff and faculty
- Meet faculty, staff and students from our program areas
- Explore student services and supports that can help you succeed
- Take a campus tour and see the newest spaces
- Learn about financial assistance and your payment options
Tuition and Fees
Tuition and Fees
2018 - 2019 Domestic Tuition and Fees
|Semester 1||Semester 2|
|Total Ancillary Fees||$717.02||$653.92|
|Mandatory Program Fees||$56.50||$0.00|
|Total Domestic Charges Per Semester||$2,278.01||$2,158.41|
|Total 1st Year Fees||$4,436.42|
- Awards: Scholarships and Bursaries
- OSAP Eligible. Learn about Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP).
- Full Cost Breakdown
2018 - 2019 International Tuition and Fees
|Semester 1||Semester 2|
|Total Tuition & Ancillary Fee||$7,342.97||$7,342.97|
|Program Compulsory Fee Plus Tax||$56.50||$0.00|
|International Tax Recovery||$450.00||$375.00|
|Total International Charges Per Semester||$7,849.47||$7,717.97|
|Total 1st Year Fees||$15,567.44|
- International Scholarships and Bursaries
- OSAP not eligible for International Students
- Full Cost Breakdown
If you pay by wire transfer, please note your bank might charge you a fee to transfer money. Make sure your transfer includes the Mohawk payment and the wire transfer fee. This applies to each wire transfer payment you make.
- Financial Assistance
- View the Additional Information Tab for any additional costs
Domestic and International student admission requirements
- OSSD or equivalent (Mohawk Academic Upgrading, GED) including:
- Grade 12 English, C or U or equivalent
- Excellent reading and writing skills
- Strong interest in news and current affairs
- Basic computer literacy
- Volunteer experience at a media outlet is an asset
- Students will pay a digital print fee
- Students will require an external hard drive
- See below for accepted equivalents for Grade 12 English:
How you'll gain skills
From a faculty team of professional journalists and broadcasters.
Through a field placement course where you will produce content for a real organization.
Participate in real-life projects for external clients through The Agency, Mohawk’s student-run advertising agency.
Work on assignments based on industry standards, such as producing television newscasts, reporting and anchoring for the campus radio station, producing and editing content on a website, and publishing an online newspaper.
- Visit the Journalism Field Placement Resources page for more information.
The Agency is an experiential learning facility operating within the McKeil School of Business at Mohawk College. Students from a variety of programs including Advertising, Public Relations, Marketing, Graphics and Broadcast Media collaborate in developing real world marketing and communications solutions for selected non-profit organizations and start-up companies in the greater Hamilton area.
All projects with our client/partners are integrated into the curriculum and students are marked on what they do. They work under close faculty supervision as they develop effective marketing communications solutions relevant to meeting clear client objectives.
Where you can go next
- Mohawk offers a diverse range of programs to further your studies**:
- Earn a degree:
- Brock University - Honours Bachelor of Arts Popular Culture or Media and Communication Studies or Business Communication
- Davenport University - Bachelor of Business Administration, General Business
- Griffith University - Bachelor of Journalism
- Robert Gordon University - BA (Hons) Journalism
- University of South Wales - BA (Hons) Journalism, BA (Hons) Media Production, BA (Hons)Media, Culture and Journalism
- View our pathways map PDF. This Pathways map shows how the identified program can lead to future program choices.
- Visit Pathways and Credit Transfer for degree completion opportunities outside of Ontario.
- See ontransfer.ca for additional opportunities at other colleges or universities in Ontario.
Your future career options
- Content Creator/Developer
- Multimedia Journalist
- Public Relations/Corporate Communications
- Social Media Manager
Where you could work includes:
- Digital Media Outlets
- Newspapers, Magazines and Trade Publications
- Television and Radio Stations: Report on Air or work behind the scenes as an Editor, Writer or Producer.
- Non-profit organizations
- Corporate settings both large and small
- As an independent content creator
Communications Media Practices Post Grad Certificate
Over two consecutive Spring/Summer terms, Mohawk’s Communications Media Practices Post Grad Certificate offers hands-on experience creating content for different platforms, including multimedia, video, online, audio and print.
This program will appeal to students who are interested in learning the fundamentals of media production to complement their degree or diploma. Details at Communications Media Practices - 266
Program of Studies
Course Overview & Descriptions
Click on the course title for a course description.
Program Learning Outcomes, often referred to as ‘Program Standards', set out the essential learning that a student must achieve before being deemed ready to graduate.
In many cases these program learning outcomes were developed by the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities (MTCU) in consultation with employers and educators who are experts in the program field. To ensure the outcomes remain current and in line with industry needs, we invite our employers, graduates working in the field and current students to re-examine and update them during regular, ongoing program review focus groups.
A laptop purchase is recommended, but not required for the Journalism program. Having access to a laptop with program related software allows students to work on audio video, and other projects at home, and in the field. This reflects a trend in the industry and dovetails with Mohawk’s emphasis on anytime/anywhere blended learning.
Mohawk College currently has a partnership agreement with Apple® Canada. If you decide to purchase a laptop we recommend that you wait until late spring/early summer so you can take advantage of educational discounts online at Mohawk's Custom Online Apple Store.
To Access Mohawk's Custom Online Store
Log into your MyMohawk account. Click on the Technology Solutions Tab and navigate to the Computer Store. Once you arrive to our Mohawk College custom Apple® Online store, select the "Recommended Systems" link at the top right corner to view a list of the MacBook Pro laptops we recommend for this program.
Provided below are our recommended minimum laptop and software requirements, should you choose to purchase one
- 2.5GHz Dual-core Intel Core i5 or higher, Turbo Boost up to 3.1 GHz
- 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM — 2x4GB
- 500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
- SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
- Backlit Keyboard (English) & User's Guide (English)
- Accessory Kit
Approximate Cost: $1,500
You should also purchase an USB 3.0 external hard drive with at least 1 TB capacity. Here are a couple of examples:
- Costco Portable Hard Drive (opens in a new tab)
- Tiger Direct Portable Hard Drive (opens in a new tab)
If you choose to buy a laptop, here are the recommended software applications:
- Adobe Creative Cloud: This suite includes Photoshop, InDesign, Audition and Premiere, for roughly $22 per month.
Mohawk College makes every effort to keep all our educational costs to a minimum, these costs are subject to change. Additional costs may apply.
Student Success Advisors
Student Success Advisors
Student Success Advisors assist current students to transition to college life, co-creating an academic success plan, advice on course selection, changing programs, or referrals to specialized support services. If you need help applying to Mohawk, contact Admissions (for International Students, please contact International Admissions).