Journalism - 297
- Canada's first journalism program to incorporate accessible media production as part of the core curriculum.
- Cutting-edge multimedia tools and skills that will uniquely position you in the content creation job market after graduation.
What you'll learn
- Principles and practices of professional journalism.
- Professional storytelling and communication skills.
- Research and data evaluation techniques.
- Effective use of social media tools such as Twitter, Facebook and Instagram to engage audiences.
- Content production for real organizations.
Mohawk's Journalism program has the highest overall student satisfaction rate of any 3-year journalism program in Ontario.
Mohawk's Journalism program gives you the practical skills and knowledge to succeed as a journalist or communications professional in today's multimedia news environment.
Whether you want to be a print or television reporter, an on-air host, or work behind the scenes, you'll receive the hands-on training and experience you need to enter the exciting world of journalism. You will practice the craft of reporting with state-of-the-art digital equipment, under the guidance of industry professionals.
Third year students live broadcasting during Hamilton Comic Con:
3 academic years (period of 8 months) includes a 7 week field placement
University graduates fast track option
Students with a university degree may be eligible to enter directly into the second year of the program after taking a seven-week intensive journalism fundamentals course in the summer semester. Other candidates applying for entry into the fast-track option will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis. Contact the program coordinator for more information.
Explore our many videos, online resources and program options within the Open House Plus website.
We’re here for you to support applications and admissions by providing online and virtual service.
Applied and have questions?
The admissions team is available to help, you can contact them via Admissions or by phone at 1-844-767-6871.
Haven’t applied and need help?
Contact us or phone 905-575-2460.
Tuition and Fees
Tuition and Fees
2021 - 2022 Domestic Tuition and Fees
|Semester 1||Semester 2|
Compulsory Ancillary Fees
Compulsory Program Fees
|Total Domestic Charges Per Semester||$2,185.06||$2,066.09|
|Total 1st Year Fees||$4,251.15|
Above fees based on full-time September program start date. Contact Student Services to confirm fees for other start dates or semesters.
- Awards: Scholarships and Bursaries
- OSAP Eligible. Learn about Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP).
- Full Cost Breakdown
2021 - 2022 International Tuition and Fees
|Semester 1||Semester 2|
Total Tuition & Ancillary Fees
Program Compulsory Fees
|International Tax Recovery||$450.00||$375.00|
|Total International Charges Per Semester||$8,545.00||$8,470.00|
|Total 1st Year Fees||$17,015.00|
- International Scholarships and Bursaries
- OSAP not eligible for International Students
- Full Cost Breakdown
If you pay by wire transfer, please note your bank might charge you a fee to transfer money. Make sure your transfer includes the Mohawk payment and the wire transfer fee. This applies to each wire transfer payment you make.
- Financial Assistance
- View the Additional Information Tab for any additional costs
Domestic and International student admission requirements
- OSSD or equivalent (Mohawk Academic Upgrading, GED) including:
- Grade 12 English, C or U or equivalent
- Excellent reading and writing skills
- Strong interest in news and current affairs
- Basic computer literacy
- Volunteer experience at a media outlet is an asset
- Students will pay a digital print fee
- Students will require an external hard drive
- See below for accepted equivalents for Grade 12 English:
Applicants whose first language is not English will be required to demonstrate proficiency in English. Options are available for mature applicants.
How you'll gain skills
Participate in real-life projects for external clients through The Agency, Mohawk’s student-run advertising agency.
- Visit the Journalism Field Placement Resources page for more information.
The Agency is an experiential learning facility operating within the McKeil School of Business at Mohawk College. Students from a variety of programs including Advertising, Public Relations, Marketing, Graphics, Journalism and Broadcast Media collaborate in developing real-world marketing and communications solutions for selected non-profit organizations and start-up companies in the greater Hamilton area.
All projects with our clients/partners are integrated into the curriculum and students are marked on what they do. They work under close faculty supervision as they develop effective marketing communications solutions relevant to meeting clear client objectives.
Mohawk offers a diverse range of programs to further your studies**: Students that graduate from any of the following Ontario College Certificate programs are eligible to enroll into the Journalism program:
Graduates from the Journalism program are eligible to enroll into the following Ontario College Advanced Diploma, and Ontario College Graduate Certificate programs:
- Broadcasting - Television and Communications Media
- Graphic Design
- Accessible Media Production
- Creative Arts Business
- Multimedia Storytelling
- Earn a degree:
- Brock University - Honours Bachelor of Arts Popular Culture or Media and Communication Studies or Business Communication (opens in new window)
- Davenport University - Bachelor of Business Administration, General Business
- Griffith University - Bachelor of Journalism
- Robert Gordon University - BA (Hons) Journalism
- Visit Pathways and Credit Transfer for degree completion opportunities outside of Ontario.
- See ONTransfer for additional opportunities at other colleges or universities in Ontario.
View our internal pathways map PDF. This Pathways map shows how the identified program can lead to future program choices within Mohawk.
Your future career options
- Content Creator/Developer
- Multimedia Journalist
- Public Relations/Corporate Communications
- Social Media Manager
Where you could work includes:
- Digital Media Outlets
- Newspapers, Magazines and Trade Publications
- Television and Radio Stations: Report on the air or work behind the scenes as an Editor, Writer or Producer.
- Non-profit organizations
- Corporate settings both large and small
- As an independent content creator
Communications Media Practices Graduate Certificate
Mohawk’s Communications Media Practices Graduate Certificate offers hands-on experience creating content for different platforms, including multimedia, video, online, audio and print. This program will appeal to students who are interested in learning the fundamentals of media production to complement their degree or diploma. Read more about Communications Media Practices - 266
Program of Studies
Course Overview & Descriptions
Click on the course title for a course description.
Program Learning Outcomes, often referred to as ‘Program Standards', set out the essential learning that a student must achieve before being deemed ready to graduate.
In many cases these program learning outcomes were developed by the Ministry of Colleges and Universities (MCU) in consultation with employers and educators who are experts in the program field. To ensure the outcomes remain current and in line with industry needs, we invite our employers, graduates working in the field and current students to re-examine and update them during regular, ongoing program review focus groups.
A laptop purchase is recommended, but not required for the Journalism program. Having access to a laptop with program related software allows students to work on audio video, and other projects at home, and in the field. This reflects a trend in the industry and dovetails with Mohawk’s emphasis on anytime/anywhere blended learning.
Recommended Hardware and Software
- Laptop recommendation: any laptop that can run MS Office and Adobe Creative Cloud. You should also consider purchasing an external USB 3.0 external hard drive with 1 TB capacity.
- Adobe Creative Cloud: This suite of software includes Photoshop, InDesign, Audition and Premiere - roughly $22* per month. Adobe Creative Cloud can be purchased here: www.adobe.com/ca/creativecloud/buy/students.html
- Microsoft Office: Download at no cost through your Mohawk College account
Mohawk College currently has a partnership agreement with Apple® Canada. If you decide to purchase a laptop we recommend that you wait until late spring/early summer so you can take advantage of educational discounts online at Mohawk's Custom Online Apple Store.
To Access Mohawk's Custom Online Store
Log into your MyMohawk account. Click on the Technology Solutions Tab and navigate to the Computer Store. Once you arrive to our Mohawk College custom Apple® Online store, select the "Recommended Systems" link at the top right corner to view a list of the MacBook Pro laptops we recommend for this program.
Mohawk College makes every effort to keep all our educational costs to a minimum, these costs are subject to change. Additional costs may apply.
Domestic Canadian Students
Contact Student Recruitment
Haven’t applied yet and have questions?
Contact our Student Recruitment team for information on programs, how to apply, and more.
Contact our Admissions advisors for help with your application.
Contact International Student Recruitment
Contact our International Student Recruitment team for information on programs, how to apply, and student life.
Toll free phone numbers:
For general questions: 1-888-Mohawk9 (1-888-664-2959)
North China: 10-800-714-2521
South China: 10-800-140-2541
Do you have a project for our students?
If you or your organization has a marketing communications project that might be suitable for our students, please apply below. We will respond to you as soon as we can. Please note that we do not accept applications made directly to faculty or program coordinators. If you have any questions please contact email@example.com
Student Success Advisors
Student Success Advisors
Student Success Advisors assist current students to transition to college life, co-creating an academic success plan, advice on course selection, changing programs, or referrals to specialized support services. If you need help applying to Mohawk, contact Admissions (for International Students, please contact International Admissions).