Business Fundamentals - Small Business - 354
- This program is a combination of in-class facilitated discussions, and practical hands-on experiences offered through Mohawk College’s Centre for Entrepreneurship including mentorship, speaker series, and the opportunity to participate in a live Pitch competition.
What you'll learn
- Learn to effectively manage a small business throughout the 5 stages of small business growth.
- Learn the fundamentals of operating a lean, agile business that can respond to external factors forcing change.
- Graduate with a comprehensive business plan that gives you a head start in obtaining funding and launching your own business.
How you'll learn
- No set schedule: Classes are formatted in an asynchronous format, so you can continue other life commitments and study at a time that’s convenient to you.
- Bite-sized content: Course material is broken down into small digestible modules giving you the opportunity to learn on the go.
- Newest technology: Your course will be delivered in a modern format that uses the newest learning technologies such as community boards, gamification, videos and other interactive elements.
- Face-to-face interaction: Interact with instructors and peers in real-time. Participate in discussions and receive immediate feedback.
- Experience campus life: Take advantage of your time on campus and use facilities like the library, the gym, food services and different events that happen on campus.
- Structure and discipline: In-class learning can contribute to a more structured and disciplined environment. It can also provide a routine and social interaction.
1 academic year (period of 8 months)
Domestic and International student admission requirements
Language Requirements for Applicants with English as a Second Language
- See below for accepted equivalents for Grade 12 English:
- Successful completion of the GAS-English for Academic Purposes (478 or 278) program
- TOEFL minimum score of 550 (80 Internet based)
- or IELTS Academic minimum score of 6.0 overall with no band less than 5.5
- More information about acceptable certificates, can be found on the International Admission Requirements
Tuition and Fees
2023 - 2024 Domestic Tuition and Fees
|Compulsory Ancillary Fees
|Compulsory Program Fees
|Total Domestic Charges Per Semester
|Total 1st Year Fees
Above fees based on full-time September program start date. Contact Student Services to confirm fees for other start dates or semesters.
- Full Cost Breakdown
- Explore payment options
- Book costs for your program can be found through the Campus Store
2023 - 2024 International Tuition and Fees
|Total Tuition & Ancillary Fees
|Program Compulsory Fees
|International Tax Recovery
|Total International Charges Per Semester
|Total 1st Year Fees
If you pay by wire transfer, please note your bank might charge you a fee to transfer money. Make sure your transfer includes the Mohawk payment and the wire transfer fee. This applies to each wire transfer payment you make.
When it comes to paying for your education, investing in your future can be more affordable than you think. A Mohawk education is one of the most cost-effective means of acquiring the skills and knowledge you need to have a prosperous and rewarding career.
As you start on your chosen career path, it's important to have a realistic set of expectations regarding the expenses associated with attending college. In addition to your tuition fees, you will also need to budget for books, supplies, housing, and other related living expenses. You may be able to supplement your income and savings with scholarships, bursaries, or loans. It pays to do some research into what types of financial assistance you may qualify for.
Available Financial Assistance Resources:
- OSAP Eligible. Learn about Ontario Student Assistance Program - OSAP (domestic students only)
- Working on Campus
- Additional Sources of Funding
- Financial Assistance Home Page
Apply for Awards:
By submitting a Scholarships and Bursaries Application every semester, students have access to over $3 million in Mohawk College scholarships, bursaries and Ministry-partnered funding to help meet their financial needs.
Financial Literacy and Money Coaching:
Whether saving for school, sticking to a budget, or planning for a major purchase, financial literacy affects us all. That's why Mo' Money is committed to helping our students improve their money skills and become more confident with their money.
Course Overview & Descriptions
Click on the course title for a course description.
Program of studies for students starting Fall 2019 is subject to change.
How you'll gain skills
- Experience interactive simulations, to further develop course concepts.
SURGE at Mohawk College
Managed by the McKeil School of Business, SURGE supports entrepreneurship awareness, education, training experiences, learning opportunities, mentorship, star speakers, pitch competitions – all to provide you access to start your own sustainable business! Visit the SURGEweb site.
Connect to industry and potential partners, as well as gain access to critical resources through SURGE, Mohawk’s dedicated Entrepreneurship program. SURGE provides expert training on how to pitch your idea, matched with a business mentor or coach and find yourself in a co-working space with other like-minded entrepreneurs.
Program Learning Outcomes, often referred to as ‘Program Standards', set out the essential learning that a student must achieve before being deemed ready to graduate.
In many cases these program learning outcomes were developed by the Ministry of Colleges and Universities (MCU) in consultation with employers and educators who are experts in the program field. To ensure the outcomes remain current and in line with industry needs, we invite our employers, graduates working in the field and current students to re-examine and update them during regular, ongoing program review focus groups.
Your future career options
- Sales Representatives
- Small Business Owners
- Franchisees or Franchisors
Where you could work includes:
- Build Your Own Business
- Buy an Existing Business
- Own/Operate a Franchise
- Manage a Small Business
- Financial Services
- Personal Services
- Educational Services
- Advertising and Promotion
Pathways to Mohawk
If you've successfully taken a course at another post-secondary institution, you may be able to earn course exemptions toward your credential here at Mohawk.
Pathways within Mohawk
If you have successfully completed one of the following programs at Mohawk, you may be eligible to receive transfer credit in this program. *
We offer a diverse range of programs to further your studies within Mohawk following completion of this program. *
- Business - Accounting - 316
- Business - Financial Services - 303
- Business (General) - 320
- Business - Marketing - 319
- Insurance - 318 - 368
- Business Administration - 632
- Business Administration - Marketing - 362 - 366
When you have completed this Business Fundamentals - Small Business program, you will have the option to transfer directly into the second semester of many business diploma programs within Mohawk.
This Pathways map shows how the identified program can lead to future program choices within Mohawk.
Pathways beyond Mohawk
See ontransfer.ca for additional opportunities at other colleges or universities in Ontario.
Search the Mohawk Transfer Database for opportunities outside of Ontario.
Domestic Canadian Students
Contact Student Recruitment
Haven’t applied yet and have questions?
Contact our Student Recruitment team for information on programs, how to apply, and more.
Contact our Admissions advisors for help with your application.
Contact International Student Recruitment
Contact our International Student Recruitment team for information on programs, how to apply, and student life.
Toll free phone numbers:
For general questions: 1-888-Mohawk9 (1-888-664-2959)
North China: 10-800-714-2521
South China: 10-800-140-2541