Photography - Still and Motion - 378
- With a focus on both still and motion, you will be trained to meet the needs of the changing photography industry.
- Develop a critical eye and become an effective content creator.
- Establish connections within the photography community.
- Opportunities to submit work to award shows.
When applying to the Photography - Still and Motion Program, please submit portfolio pieces by visiting our online form. Thank you.
Discover the latest creative work from Mohawk College photography students. Visit the Mohawk College Student Photography website.
What you'll learn
- Professional camera skills in both still and video.
- How to produce creative and innovative photographic presentations using traditional and electronic formats.
- Operate industry standard equipment in the studio and on location.
- Latest editing techniques of photographic content in both still and video using the most up-to-date digital software.
- Ethics and issues and how they apply to the industry and the business of photography.
- Prepare a portfolio and a business plan.
2 academic years (periods of 8 months)
We're here to help
We’re here for you to support applications and admissions by providing online and virtual service.
Applied and have questions?
The admissions team is available to help, you can contact them via Admissions or by phone at 1-844-767-6871.
Haven’t applied and need help?
Contact us or phone 905-575-2460.
Take a virtual campus tour
Explore Mohawk College from the comfort of home! Our virtual campus tours provide a guided visit of our buildings, labs, services, classrooms and athletic and recreation centre.
Learn about program delivery terms.
The Collective, powered by SURGE, offers students a platform to showcase their talents and gain experience freelancing, while developing their portfolios before they enter the workforce. This platform showcases students from an assortment of program areas sparking an entrepreneurial mindset, preparing creative students for the future.
Hire a Mohawk student to create stunning visuals, creative graphics and smart media by visiting The Collective.
Domestic and International student admission requirements
- OSSD or equivalent (Mohawk Academic Upgrading, GED) including:
- Grade 12 English, C or U or equivalent
- Portfolio (see below for details)
Still and Motion Program Portfolio Submission
Portfolio submission instructions will be sent to applicants shortly after Mohawk receive your application from Ontario Colleges.
- Submit 5 photos that best demonstrate your skill and style
- It is strongly recommended that a good quality scanner is used to produce digital files from prints if no existing digital version is available
- When deciding which samples to select, it is recommended to submit a variety of creative images showcasing your photographic ability and technique with respect to exposure, composition and camera control - consistency is key.
The quality of your submission will greatly impact the portfolio review and acceptance process.
Students may submit their portfolio in the following way:
- Using the online portfolio submission form
As the college remains closed, portfolios cannot be submitted via mail or in-person as Admissions would not have access to these submissions.
Language Requirements for Applicants with English as a Second Language
- See below for accepted equivalents for Grade 12 English:
- Successful completion of the GAS-English for Academic Purposes (478 or 278) program
- TOEFL minimum score of 550 (80 Internet based)
- or IELTS Academic minimum score of 6.0 overall with no band less than 5.5
- More information about acceptable certificates, can be found on the International Admission Requirements
Tuition and Fees
2023 - 2024 Domestic Tuition and Fees
|Description||Semester 1||Semester 2|
|Compulsory Ancillary Fees||$864.60||$758.46|
|Compulsory Program Fees||$28.78||$28.78|
|Total Domestic Charges Per Semester||$2,247.42||$2,141.28|
|Total 1st Year Fees||$4,388.70|
Above fees based on full-time September program start date. Contact Student Services to confirm fees for other start dates or semesters.
- Full Cost Breakdown
- Explore payment options
- Book costs for your program can be found through the Campus Store
2023 - 2024 International Tuition and Fees
|Description||Semester 1||Semester 2|
|Total Tuition & Ancillary Fee||$8,355.00||$8,355.00|
|Program Compulsory Fees||$28.78||$28.78|
|International Tax Recovery||$450.00||$375.00|
|Total International Per Semester||$8,833.78||$8,758.78|
|Total 1st Year Fees||$17,592.56|
If you pay by wire transfer, please note your bank might charge you a fee to transfer money. Make sure your transfer includes the Mohawk payment and the wire transfer fee. This applies to each wire transfer payment you make.
- View the Additional Information Tab for any additional costs
- Better Jobs Ontario (formerly Second Career)
When it comes to paying for your education, investing in your future can be more affordable than you think. A Mohawk education is one of the most cost-effective means of acquiring the skills and knowledge you need to have a prosperous and rewarding career.
As you start on your chosen career path, it's important to have a realistic set of expectations regarding the expenses associated with attending college. In addition to your tuition fees, you will also need to budget for books, supplies, housing, and other related living expenses. You may be able to supplement your income and savings with scholarships, bursaries, or loans. It pays to do some research into what types of financial assistance you may qualify for.
Available Financial Assistance Resources:
- OSAP Eligible. Learn about Ontario Student Assistance Program - OSAP (domestic students only)
- Working on Campus
- Additional Sources of Funding
- Financial Assistance Home Page
Apply for Awards:
By submitting a Scholarships and Bursaries Application every semester, students have access to over $3 million in Mohawk College scholarships, bursaries and Ministry-partnered funding to help meet their financial needs.
Financial Literacy and Money Coaching:
Whether saving for school, sticking to a budget, or planning for a major purchase, financial literacy affects us all. That's why Mo' Money is committed to helping our students improve their money skills and become more confident with their money.
Course Overview & Descriptions
Click on the course title for a course description.
How you'll gain skills
- Complete a Capstone Project by applying knowledge and skills acquired throughout your program.
- Explore academic content through field trips and site visits
- Produce a portfolio exhibit in front of an audience through performance-based learning.
- Test and apply course concepts using state of the art equipment in our labs.
- An opportunity to travel and document a global experience. Past global experiences include Greece, Jamaica and India.
Program Learning Outcomes, often referred to as ‘Program Standards', set out the essential learning that a student must achieve before being deemed ready to graduate.
In many cases these program learning outcomes were developed by the Ministry of Colleges and Universities (MCU) in consultation with employers and educators who are experts in the program field. To ensure the outcomes remain current and in line with industry needs, we invite our employers, graduates working in the field and current students to re-examine and update them during regular, ongoing program review focus groups.
Your future career options
Where you could work includes:
- Commercial, Corporate and Freelance
- Still and Video Production – corporate and commercial videos, promo videos, short length, documentaries, wedding and music videos
- Photography Industry – creative, conceptual, fine art, editorial, fashion, portrait, commercial, product, still editing, video editing, wedding, sports, travel, album cover, band, musician and artist promotional, art direction, representative, shoot production and DSLR video production
- Online Content – commercial advertising, still and motion productions and interactive images
- Real Estate - Photo and video productions
- Social Media - Commercial content creation
Pathways to Mohawk
If you've successfully taken a course at another post-secondary institution, you may be able to earn course exemptions toward your credential here at Mohawk.
Pathways within Mohawk
If you have successfully completed one of the following programs at Mohawk, you may be eligible to receive transfer credit in this program. *
We offer a diverse range of programs to further your studies within Mohawk following completion of this program. *
- Small Business and Entrepreneurship
- Advertising and Marketing Communications Management
- Broadcasting - Television and Communications Media
- Graphic Design
- Communications Media Practices
- Accessible Media Production
- Creative Arts Business
This Pathways map shows how the identified program can lead to future program choices within Mohawk.
Pathways beyond Mohawk
Earn a degree:
- Davenport University - Bachelor of Business Administration
- Griffith University - Bachelor of Photography
See ONTransfer for additional opportunities at other colleges or universities in Ontario.
Search the Mohawk Transfer Database for opportunities outside of Ontario.
The Photography – Still and Motion program has a mandatory laptop requirement. All students are required to have a laptop that is capable of effectively running the software packages that we use for instruction. This provides our students with 24/7 access to industry-relevant production tools and learning resources.
The requirement of an approved media capable laptop is foundational to our learning structure and is necessary upon program entry. We have updated our policy to include laptops capable of meeting our required software specifications.
Mohawk College currently has a partnership agreement with Apple® Canada. We recommend that you shop on Mohawk's Custom Online Apple® store to receive educational discounts when purchasing your new MacBook Pro. We also recommend that you wait until late spring/early summer to take advantage of the "back to school" specials offered by Apple®.
To Access Mohawk's Custom Online Store
- Log into your MyMohawk account with your MohawkID and password.
- Click on the Technology Solutions tab.
- Navigate to the Computer Store and click “Online Apple Store.”
- Once you arrive to our Mohawk College Discount store webpage, select “See recommended systems” to view a list of the MacBook Pros we recommend for this program.
If you have any additional questions, feel free to call the friendly Apple experts over the telephone at 1-800-MY-APPLE to get the answers you are looking for.
It is strongly recommended that students purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan, which is included in the various recommended bundles by default. You will require the use of your MacBook Pro for day-to-day productivity and any potential downtime could have a significant impact on your academic success. AppleCare will ensure that you will have the best possible experience with your new MacBook Pro, especially if something out of the ordinary should happen. However, if you do not wish to purchase AppleCare, you can remove AppleCare from the bundle using the Remove button in the cart.
If you currently own an Apple® laptop that meets our minimum standard and is capable of running the required software, a new purchase will not be required.
Minimum and recommended Workstation Laptop configurations for Fall 2023
- macOS Workstation
- OS: macOS 12 Monterey
- CPU: Apple M2 Pro (10-core) or better
- GPU: Apple M2 Pro (16-core) or better
- RAM: 16GB unified memory or greater (32GB recommended)
- Internal storage: 512GB (1TB recommended)
- Recommended machine: Apple MacBook Pro
Note: PC laptops and Chromebook devices will not be accepted in the Photography – Still and Motion program.
- Adobe Creative Cloud: A monthly subscription to Adobe Creative Cloud can be purchased from the Adobe Creative Cloud website.
- Microsoft Office: Download at no cost through your Mohawk College account.
Personal External Storage:
- Minimum capacity: 1TB
- Technology: solid-state drive (SSD)
- Read/Write Speeds: approximately 500MB/second or greater (USB 3.1 or better)
- Connector: USB-A or USB-C connector as required to interface with your laptop
DSLR Camera with full manual control
- Still & Video capabilities
- Effective pixels – Minimum 18 megapixels
- Video Resolution – Minimum 1920x1080 FULL HD
- Video Frame Rates – 30p (29.97), 24p (23.976)
- Hot shoe with x sync. (trigger) contact
Mirrorless Camera with full manual control
- Still & Video capabilities
- Effective pixels - Minimum 18 megapixels
- Video Resolution - Minimum 4K
- Video Frame Rates - 30p (29.97), 24p (23.976)
- Hot shoe with x sync. (trigger) contact
- External Flash with automatic & full manual control
Domestic Canadian Students
Contact Student Recruitment
Haven’t applied yet and have questions?
Contact our Student Recruitment team for information on programs, how to apply, and more.
Contact our Admissions advisors for help with your application.
Contact International Student Recruitment
Contact our International Student Recruitment team for information on programs, how to apply, and student life.
Toll free phone numbers:
For general questions: 1-888-Mohawk9 (1-888-664-2959)
North China: 10-800-714-2521
South China: 10-800-140-2541
Do you have a project for our students?
If you or your organization has a marketing communications project that might be suitable for our students, please apply below. We will respond to you as soon as we can. Please note that we do not accept applications made directly to faculty or program coordinators. If you have any questions please contact firstname.lastname@example.org