Massage Therapy - 469
The Massage Therapy Program at Mohawk College has been awarded Accreditation for a three year period (2021-2024) by the Canadian Massage Therapy Council for Accreditation (CMTCA). To learn more, please visit the CMTCA.
- Work with professors who are recognized industry leaders.
- Participate in clinical courses that provide opportunities to develop skills while practicing with a variety of unique populations.
- Work with high tech equipment in facilities that effectively mirror or surpass industry standards.
- Participate in outreach opportunities that may include, but are not limited to:
- Chronic pain
- Active aging
- Hospice and Palliative care
- Neurological disorders
What you'll learn
- You will gain the knowledge and practical skills required to complete certification examinations administered by the College of Massage Therapists of Ontario (CMTO) to become a Registered Massage Therapist (RMT).
- You will study an evidence-based curriculum that supports an inter-professional health care approach to maximize patient outcomes.
- You will examine the anatomy, physiology and common pathologies of the human body.
- You will develop critical thinking skills to prepare and implement safe and effective treatment plans.
- You will practice alternative health care strategies.
- You will develop the ethical and professional skills and behaviours associated with becoming a Regulated Health Care Professional.
- Massage Therapy is an Ontario College Advanced Diploma program that is completed in 36 months, including the required clinical hours.
- Professional Competencies and Standards of Practice
- The curriculum for the Massage Therapy program at Mohawk College is based on the Inter-Jurisdictional Competency Standards (PDF). These standards were developed by a national team of massage therapy professionals in order to ensure safe, ethical, and professional Massage Therapy education for Entry-to-Practice.
- Visit the College of Massage Therapists of Ontario (CMTO) website to learn About the Profession and the Standards of Practice and Code of Ethics that we teach and assess throughout the program.
- Graduation Requirements
- Students are required to achieve a minimum overall Grade Point Average (GPA) of 70% and to provide a minimum of 330 hours of supervised massage therapy to the public to graduate from the Massage Therapy Program.
- Certification Examinations and Registration
- Your Diploma in Massage Therapy is a requirement for you to be a candidate for the CMTO Certification Examination. You must successfully complete both the written and practical exams in order to practice as a Massage Therapist in Ontario.
- For detailed information on CMTO certification and registration requirements and procedures, please read Becoming an RMT in Ontario.
We’re here for you to support applications and admissions by providing online and virtual service.
Applied and have questions?
The admissions team is available to help, you can contact them via Admissions or by phone at 1-844-767-6871.
Haven’t applied and need help?
Contact us or phone 905-575-2460.
Take a virtual campus tour!
Explore Mohawk College from the comfort of home! Our virtual campus tours provide a guided visit of our buildings, labs, services, classrooms and athletic and recreation centre.
Domestic and International student admission requirements
- OSSD or equivalent (Mohawk Academic Upgrading, GED) including:
- Grade 12 English, C or U level
- Grade 11 Mathematics, minimum C level (M or U level recommended)
- Grade 11 or 12 Chemistry, Biology or Physics
- Additional selection criteria may apply
- Language fluency requirements must be met for applicants.
Language Requirements for International Students:
- See below for accepted equivalents for Grade 12 English:
Language Proficiency Requirements:
Applicants whose first language is not English will be required to demonstrate proficiency in English. Options are available for mature applicants.
Tuition and Fees
2021 - 2022 Domestic Tuition and Fees
|Description||Semester 1||Semester 2|
|Compulsory Ancillary Fees||$831.02||$712.05|
|Compulsory Program Fees||$0.00||$108.00|
|Total Domestic Charges Per Semester||$2,916.95||$2,905.98|
|Total 1st Year Fees||$5,822.93|
Above fees based on full-time September program start date. Contact Student Services to confirm fees for other start dates or semesters.
- Awards: Scholarships and Bursaries
- OSAP Eligible. Learn about Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP).
- Full Cost Breakdown
2021 - 2022 International Tuition and Fees
|Description||Semester 1||Semester 2|
|Total Tuition & Ancillary Fee||$8,600.00||$8,600.00|
|Program Compulsory Fees||$0.00||$108.00|
|International Tax Recovery||$450.00||$375.00|
|Total International Charges Per Semester||$9,050.00||$9,083.00|
|Total 1st Year Fees||$18,133.00|
- International Scholarships and Bursaries
- OSAP not eligible for International Students
- Full Cost Breakdown
If you pay by wire transfer, please note your bank might charge you a fee to transfer money. Make sure your transfer includes the Mohawk payment and the wire transfer fee. This applies to each wire transfer payment you make.
Course Overview & Descriptions
Click on the course title for a course description.
How you'll gain skills
- You will learn and develop your skills and behaviours while working with peers during on-campus labs and simulations.
Massage Student Clinic
- You will practice your skills and behaviours in the on-site student clinic.
- During your last two semesters, you will practice with more challenging populations at the St. Elizabeth Mills and Mohawk College partnership clinic.
Massage Therapy Outreach Opportunities
- You will experience a wide variety of massage therapy practice options at offsite outreaches, giving you a well-rounded sense of options that exist for graduates.
- Outreach opportunities may include hospitals, long term care centres, sporting events, corporate wellness events, trade shows, expos, and open houses, to name a few.
- Clinical outreaches may occur at locations that are not accessible by public transit. Students are expected to either have access to a car or the ability to supply their own transportation when attending outreach activity. Mohawk is not responsible for providing students with transportation to clinical outreaches.
- Students perform massage therapy under the supervision and guidance of a Mohawk College employed RMT during all student clinics and outreaches.
- Accepted applicants are required to have the following completed prior to participation in clinical practice in semester two and outreaches and are responsible for the associated costs of the following preplacement requirements:
- Standard First Aid
- CPR-C/HCP (Health Care Provider), recertification required annually while in the program
- Up-to-date immunization record (TB testing required annually)
- Up-to-date police record check (Vulnerable Sector Screen)
- Registered students who have been convicted of an offence for which they have not been pardoned may be denied the opportunity to enter or continue in clinical practice and/or outreach while in the program
- For more information about the student clinic, or to inquire about outreaches and placements at your event/facility, please contact Rodger Bramwell or alexis.james [at] mohawkcollege.ca (Alexis James) You may also call us at 905-575-1212 ext. 3756.
Program Learning Outcomes, often referred to as ‘Program Standards', set out the essential learning that a student must achieve before being deemed ready to graduate.
In many cases these program learning outcomes were developed by the Ministry of Colleges and Universities (MCU) in consultation with employers and educators who are experts in the program field. To ensure the outcomes remain current and in line with industry needs, we invite our employers, graduates working in the field and current students to re-examine and update them during regular, ongoing program review focus groups.
Your future career options
- Registered Massage Therapist
Where you could work includes:
- Massage Therapy Clinic
- Health and Wellness Clinics
- Health Spas
- Rehabilitation Centres
- Chiropractic Centres
- Palliative Care Centres
- Nursing and Retirement Homes
- Independent Health Professionals
Note: The college reports that Massage Therapists in Ontario are mainly self-employed health professionals.
Opportunities for grads
- Successful completion of the CMTO exams allows you to hold the title of Registered Massage Therapist (RMT).
- Become a member of the Registered Massage Therapists’ Association of Ontario (RMTAO)
- Hamilton Police Services
- Hamilton Ti-Cats
- Westmount Senior Living
- Runners Clinic (Fennell Campus)
- Multiple Sclerosis Clinic - St. Elizabeth's Village / McMaster University
- Chronic Pain Clinic - St. Elizabeth's Village / McMaster University
- Prenatal Clinic - St. Elizabeth's Village / McMaster University
- Post stroke and post orthopedic surgery clinic - St. Elizabeth's Village
- Adult Recreational Therapy Centre
- Bob Kemp Hospice
- Ride to Conquer Cancer (Professional and International Athletes)
- Dundas Buskerfest (Professional and International Athletes)
St. Elizabeth Mills and Mohawk College partnership
A student-run massage clinic officially opened at St. Elizabeth Mills on Hamilton’s West Mountain June 2. More than 200 students will work at the eight-table clinic throughout the year and be supervised by registered massage therapists. Read more about our St. Elizabeth Mills partnership at Mohawk News Desk, and don't forget to check out our story in Mohawk Momentum, Learn While Helping Others.
Pathways to Mohawk
If you've successfully taken a course at another post-secondary institution, you may be able to earn course exemptions toward your credential here at Mohawk.
Pathways within Mohawk
If you have successfully completed one of the following programs at Mohawk, you may be eligible to receive transfer credit in this program. *
- Pre-Health Sciences to Certificates and Diplomas
- Pre-Health Sciences Pathway to Advanced Diplomas and Degrees
- General Arts and Sciences Certificate (College Transfer)
- General Arts and Sciences Diploma (University Transfer)
- Health, Wellness and Fitness
This Pathways map shows how the identified program can lead to future program choices within Mohawk.
Pathways beyond Mohawk
Earn a degree:
See ontransfer.ca for additional opportunities at other colleges or universities in Ontario.
Search the Mohawk Transfer Database for opportunities outside of Ontario.
- A mobile device is required for all courses in the Health Studies department. Mobile devices need to have internet access and be able to connect to the MyCanvas system.
Massage Student Clinic
The Mohawk College Massage Student Clinic (MTSC) provides the opportunity for Professionals in Training to gain hands-on skills in our first-class teaching clinic to garner Future Ready Massage Therapists. Students are supervised by Registered Massage Therapists as they provide safe and effective treatments to their clients.
The MTSC is located in Room R101 in the David Braley Athletic Centre (DBARC), across from Booster Juice, and is open to the Mohawk College community as well as the public.
Visit our Massage Student Clinic website.
For more information about the student clinic, contact:
Phone: 905-575-1212 ext. 3756
Phone: 905-575-1212 ext. 3756
- Chris Owen: Academic
- Vivian Armas: Clinical and Outreach
Domestic Canadian Students
Contact Student Recruitment
Haven’t applied yet and have questions?
Contact our Student Recruitment team for information on programs, how to apply, and more.
Contact our Admissions advisors for help with your application.
Contact International Student Recruitment
Contact our International Student Recruitment team for information on programs, how to apply, and student life.
Toll free phone numbers:
For general questions: 1-888-Mohawk9 (1-888-664-2959)
North China: 10-800-714-2521
South China: 10-800-140-2541