Photography - Still and Motion - 378
- With a focus on both still and motion, you will be trained to meet the needs of the changing photography industry.
- Develop a critical eye and become an effective content creator.
- Establish connections within the photography community.
- Opportunities to submit work to award shows.
When applying to the Photography - Still and Motion Program, please submit portfolio pieces by visiting our online form. Thank you.
Discover the latest creative work from Mohawk College photography students. Visit the Mohawk College Student Photography website.
What you'll learn
- Professional camera skills in both still and video.
- How to produce creative and innovative photographic presentations using traditional and electronic formats.
- Operate industry standard equipment in the studio and on location.
- Latest editing techniques of photographic content in both still and video using the most up-to-date digital software.
- Ethics and issues and how they apply to the industry and the business of photography.
- Prepare a portfolio and a business plan.
2 academic years (periods of 8 months)
Visit Open House Plus, an on-demand, curated collection of videos, interviews and blogs about our programs, student services and supports! Get answers to your questions, watch video greeting from Deans and faculty, stay up-to-date on virtual events and more.
We’re here for you to support applications and admissions by providing online and virtual service.
Applied and have questions?
The admissions team is available to help, you can contact them via Admissions or by phone at 1-844-767-6871.
Haven’t applied and need help?
Contact us or phone 905-575-2460.
The Collective, powered by SURGE, offers students a platform to showcase their talents and gain experience freelancing, while developing their portfolios before they enter the workforce. This platform showcases students from an assortment of program areas sparking an entrepreneurial mindset, preparing creative students for the future.
Hire a Mohawk student to create stunning visuals, creative graphics and smart media by visiting The Collective.
Tuition and Fees
Tuition and Fees
2020 - 2021 Domestic Tuition and Fees
|Semester 1||Semester 2|
|Compulsory Ancillary Fees||$753.47||$698.20|
|Compulsory Program Fees||$28.78||$28.78|
|Total Domestic Charges Per Semester||$2,136.29||$2,081.02|
|Total 1st Year Fees||$4,217.31|
Above fees based on full-time September program start date. Contact Student Services to confirm fees for other start dates or semesters.
- Awards: Scholarships and Bursaries
- OSAP Eligible. Learn about Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP).
- Full Cost Breakdown
2020 - 2021 International Tuition and Fees
|Semester 1||Semester 2|
|Total Tuition & Ancillary Fee||$7,879.00||$7,935.00|
|Program Compulsory Fees||$28.78||$28.78|
|International Tax Recovery||$450.00||$375.00|
|Total International Per Semester||$8,357.78||$8,338.78|
|Total 1st Year Fees||$16,696.56|
- International Scholarships and Bursaries
- OSAP not eligible for International Students
- Full Cost Breakdown
If you pay by wire transfer, please note your bank might charge you a fee to transfer money. Make sure your transfer includes the Mohawk payment and the wire transfer fee. This applies to each wire transfer payment you make.
Domestic and International student admission requirements
- OSSD or equivalent (Mohawk Academic Upgrading, GED) including:
- Grade 12 English, C or U or equivalent
- Portfolio (see below for details)
- Students are required to purchase a DSLR camera with HD video, external hard drive and a laptop computer with software for use in the program. Accepted applicants will be notified of details regarding hardware and software purchases.
- Students will be required to pay a digital fee
- For laptop and software requirements, visit Equipment Requirements under Additional Information
Language Requirements for International Students:
- See below for accepted equivalents for Grade 12 English:
Applicants whose first language is not English will be required to demonstrate proficiency in English. Options are available for mature applicants.
Still and Motion Program Portfolio Submission
Portfolio submission instructions will be sent to applicants shortly after Mohawk receive your application from Ontario Colleges.
- Submit 5 photos that best demonstrate your skill and style
- It is strongly recommended that a good quality scanner is used to produce digital files from prints if no existing digital version is available
- When deciding which samples to select, it is recommended to submit a variety of creative images showcasing your photographic ability and technique with respect to exposure, composition and camera control - consistency is key.
The quality of your submission will greatly impact the portfolio review and acceptance process.
Students may submit their portfolio in the following way:
- Using the online portfolio submission form
As the college remains closed, portfolios cannot be submitted via mail or in-person as Admissions would not have access to these submissions.
How you'll gain skills
- Field placement experience.
- Explore academic content through field trips and site visits
- Produce a portfolio exhibit in front of an audience.
- Produce a portfolio exhibit in front of an audience through performance-based learning.
- Test and apply course concepts using state of the art equipment in our labs.
- An opportunity to travel and document a global experience. Past global experiences include Greece, Jamaica and India.
Students participate in an unpaid field placement. For more information regarding the Photography - Still and Motion field placement, please contact: scott.kenney [at] mohawkcollege.ca
Mohawk offers a diverse range of programs to further your studies**: Students that graduate from any of the following Ontario College Certificate programs are eligible to enroll into the Photography - Still and Motion program:
Graduates from the Photography - Still and Motion program are eligible to enroll into the following Ontario College Certificate, Ontario College Advanced Diploma, and Ontario College Graduate Certificate programs:
- Small Business and Entrepreneurship
- Advertising and Marketing Communications Management
- Broadcasting - Television and Communications Media
- Graphic Design
- Communications Media Practices
- Accessible Media Production
- Creative Arts Business
Earn a degree:
Davenport University - Bachelor of Business Administration
Griffith University - Bachelor of Photography
- View our internal pathways map PDF. This Pathways map shows how the identified program can lead to future program choices within Mohawk.
- Visit Pathways and Credit Transfer for degree completion opportunities outside of Ontario.
- See ontransfer.ca for additional opportunities at other colleges or universities in Ontario.
Your future career options
Where you could work includes:
- Commercial, Corporate and Freelance
- Still and Video Production – corporate and commercial videos, promo videos, short length, documentaries, wedding and music videos
- Photography Industry – creative, conceptual, fine art, editorial, fashion, portrait, commercial, product, still editing, video editing, wedding, sports, travel, album cover, band, musician and artist promotional, art direction, representative, shoot production and DSLR video production
- Online Content – commercial advertising, still and motion productions and interactive images
Program of Studies
Course Overview & Descriptions
Click on the course title for a course description.
Program Learning Outcomes, often referred to as ‘Program Standards', set out the essential learning that a student must achieve before being deemed ready to graduate.
In many cases these program learning outcomes were developed by the Ministry of Colleges and Universities (MCU) in consultation with employers and educators who are experts in the program field. To ensure the outcomes remain current and in line with industry needs, we invite our employers, graduates working in the field and current students to re-examine and update them during regular, ongoing program review focus groups.
Required Equipment and Software
Mohawk College makes every effort to keep all our educational costs to a minimum, these costs are subject to change. Additional costs may apply.
Domestic Canadian Students
Contact Student Recruitment
Haven’t applied yet and have questions?
Contact our Student Recruitment team for information on programs, how to apply, and more.
Contact our Admissions advisors for help with your application.
Contact International Student Recruitment
Contact our International Student Recruitment team for information on programs, how to apply, and student life.
Toll free phone numbers:
For general questions: 1-888-Mohawk9 (1-888-664-2959)
North China: 10-800-714-2521
South China: 10-800-140-2541
Do you have a project for our students?
If you or your organization has a marketing communications project that might be suitable for our students, please apply below. We will respond to you as soon as we can. Please note that we do not accept applications made directly to faculty or program coordinators. If you have any questions please contact email@example.com
Student Success Advisors
Student Success Advisors
Student Success Advisors assist current students to transition to college life, co-creating an academic success plan, advice on course selection, changing programs, or referrals to specialized support services. If you need help applying to Mohawk, contact Admissions (for International Students, please contact International Admissions).