Game - Design - 374
Mohawk's new Game - Design Advanced Diploma program will prepare you for a career in the industry by developing a wide range of skills needed for creating and iterating unique gaming environments, levels, characters, assets, props and systems. The program combines design, technical and artistic skills used in game production.
- Join a rapidly growing industry with a need for skilled personnel.
- Learn from professionals with deep connections to the gaming industry.
- Network with Hamilton's growing game industry and beyond.
- Benefit from smaller class sizes where you will receive more focused attention from faculty.
- Engage in experiential learning by participating in real-world projects with industry partners.
- Build a professional portfolio and network with studio representatives.
- Experience a program that models equity, diversity, and inclusion (EDI) by examining ethical questions about content creation and workplace interactions.
Explore design thinking and design building as it relates to the development of physical and digital games.
What you'll learn
- Study game design and game art to create impactful, immersive user experiences.
- Learn the systems and mechanics that are fundamental in the game industry.
- Use industry-standard hardware and software.
- Develop functional multi-level games.
- Discover new and diverse topics within gaming, including education, training, entertainment and social work.
- Use gamification to attract audiences and players.
- Explore opportunities to develop pathways and connections with various Mohawk programs.
3 academic years (periods of 8 months)
In the news:
- CHCH News - Mohawk College Game-Design program launched
- CHML/Global News - Hamilton’s Mohawk College to offer game design program amid global boom in gaming.
- CBC - New Mohawk College program aims to make gaming industry better for women and people of colour
- CHCH interview with Angela Stukator, Special Advisor of the Game - Design Advanced Diploma program
We're here to help
We’re here for you to support applications and admissions by providing online and virtual service.
Applied and have questions?
The admissions team is available to help, you can contact them via Admissions or by phone at 1-844-767-6871.
Haven’t applied and need help?
Contact us or phone 905-575-2460.
Take a virtual campus tour
Explore Mohawk College from the comfort of home! Our virtual campus tours provide a guided visit of our buildings, labs, services, classrooms and athletic and recreation centre.
Learn about program delivery terms.
Domestic and International student admission requirements
- OSSD or equivalent (Mohawk Academic Upgrading, GED) including:
- Grade 12 English, C or U or equivalent
- Statement of Interest
- Game Design Activity
Statement of Interest
Applicants must submit a statement of interest where they can describe their experience with gaming/game design, interest in our EDI-focused program, and their future goals. If you have any queries about this statement of interest, please reach out to us at game-design [at] mohawkcollege.ca (game-design[at]mohawkcollege[dot]ca) for assistance.
Statements of interest can be submitted to ontariocolleges.ca. Please see this page for more information on sending supporting documents.
Game Design Activity
The game design activity is meant to assess thinking. It helps demonstrate their ability to follow instruction and highlights their problem-solving/critical thinking. The activity would also include an EDI-specific game design consideration to further see their thinking around it. It also signals to prospective students the kind of work that is most relevant to the program. There is a high correlation between successful activities and a student's performance and retention in game design.
Language Requirements for Applicants with English as a Second Language
- See below for accepted equivalents for Grade 12 English:
- Successful completion of the GAS-English for Academic Purposes (478 or 278) program
- TOEFL minimum score of 550 (80 Internet based)
- or IELTS Academic minimum score of 6.0 overall with no band less than 5.5
- More information about acceptable certificates, can be found on the International Admission Requirements
Tuition and Fees
Estimated 2023-2024 tuition and fees
Fees have not been established for the first intake in Fall 2023.
|Compulsory Ancillary Fees
|Compulsory Program Fees
|Total Domestic Charges Per Semester
|Total 1st Year Fees
Above fees based on full-time September program start date. Contact Student Services to confirm fees for other start dates or semesters.
- Full Cost Breakdown
- Explore payment options
- Book costs for your program can be found through the Campus Store
Estimated International 2023-2024 tuition and fees
Fees have not been established for the first intake in Fall 2023.
|Total Tuition & Ancillary Fee
|Program Compulsory Fees
|International Tax Recovery
|Total International Per Semester
|Total 1st Year Fees
If you pay by wire transfer, please note your bank might charge you a fee to transfer money. Make sure your transfer includes the Mohawk payment and the wire transfer fee. This applies to each wire transfer payment you make.
- View the Additional Information Tab for any additional costs
- Better Jobs Ontario (formerly Second Career)
When it comes to paying for your education, investing in your future can be more affordable than you think. A Mohawk education is one of the most cost-effective means of acquiring the skills and knowledge you need to have a prosperous and rewarding career.
As you start on your chosen career path, it's important to have a realistic set of expectations regarding the expenses associated with attending college. In addition to your tuition fees, you will also need to budget for books, supplies, housing, and other related living expenses. You may be able to supplement your income and savings with scholarships, bursaries, or loans. It pays to do some research into what types of financial assistance you may qualify for.
Available Financial Assistance Resources:
- OSAP Eligible. Learn about Ontario Student Assistance Program - OSAP (domestic students only)
- Working on Campus
- Additional Sources of Funding
- Financial Assistance Home Page
Apply for Awards:
By submitting a Scholarships and Bursaries Application every semester, students have access to over $3 million in Mohawk College scholarships, bursaries and Ministry-partnered funding to help meet their financial needs.
Financial Literacy and Money Coaching:
Whether saving for school, sticking to a budget, or planning for a major purchase, financial literacy affects us all. That's why Mo' Money is committed to helping our students improve their money skills and become more confident with their money.
Course Overview & Descriptions
Click on the course title for a course description.
Program Learning Outcomes, often referred to as ‘Program Standards', set out the essential learning that a student must achieve before being deemed ready to graduate.
In many cases these program learning outcomes were developed by the Ministry of Colleges and Universities (MCU) in consultation with employers and educators who are experts in the program field. To ensure the outcomes remain current and in line with industry needs, we invite our employers, graduates working in the field and current students to re-examine and update them during regular, ongoing program review focus groups.
Your future career options
- Combat Designer
- Economy Designer
- Game Designer
- Gameplay Designer
- Level Designer
- Live Service Designer
- Narrative Designer
- Quest Designer
- Systems Designer
- User Experience Designer
- User Interface Designer
- World Designer
- App /Mobile Developer
- Game Developer
- Game Scripter
- Technical Artist
- Technical Designer
- Tools Designer
- Unity/Unreal Developer
- Community Manager
Quality Assurance Roles:
- Quality Assurance Tester (QA Tester)
Where you could work includes:
- Game design studios
- Web design
Pathways to Mohawk
If you've successfully taken a course at another post-secondary institution, you may be able to earn course exemptions toward your credential here at Mohawk.
Pathways within Mohawk
If you have successfully completed one of the following programs at Mohawk, you may be eligible to receive transfer credit in this program. *
Pathways beyond Mohawk
The Game Design program has a mandatory laptop requirement. All students are required to have a laptop that is capable of effectively running the software packages that we use for instruction in our digital game development courses. This provides our students with 24/7 access to industry-relevant production tools and learning resources.
The requirement of an approved game development capable laptop is foundational to our learning structure and is necessary upon program entry. We have updated our policy to include laptops capable of meeting our required software specifications. While all anticipated software run on both Windows 10/11 and macOS laptops, we recommend Windows laptops as it is the primary platform for digital game development.
Mohawk College currently has a partnership agreement with Dell. To receive educational discounts when purchasing your new laptop, please visit the Mohawk Custom Online Store. If you already own a laptop which meets our minimum standard necessary to run the required software, a new purchase will not be required.
To Access Mohawk’s Custom Online Store:
- Login to your MyMohawk account with your MohawkID and password.
- Click on the Technology Solutions tab.
- Navigate to the Computer Store and click “Online Dell Store.”
- Once you arrive at the Mohawk College Discount Store webpage, select “Shop Your Standard Configuration” to see the list of laptops we recommend for this program.
Minimum (Better) and Recommended (Best) Workstation Laptop configurations for Fall 2023
- Windows Workstation
- OS: Windows 10 or 11 (64-bit)
- CPU: Intel 12th Gen i7 or better
- GPU: Nvidia RTX 3050 or better
- RAM: 16GB or greater (32GB recommended)
- Internal storage: 500GB or greater SSD
- Recommended machine: Dell Inspiron 16 Plus (7630) or Dell XPS (9530)
Note: Basic PC laptops and Chromebook devices will not be able to run the required professional game development software that our students will use regularly during each semester of the Game Design program. Apple laptops are not recommended as they are not a game design industry standard, but will work if it can run the required software.
- Adobe Creative Cloud: A monthly subscription to Adobe Creative Cloud can be purchased from the Adobe Creative Cloud website.
- Microsoft Office: Available with your Microsoft 365 account.
- Unity: Free student version from Unity
- Visual Studio (Community Edition): Free download from Microsoft
- Mobile Device: The Game Design program teaches many different aspects of game development. Mobile games represent the largest demographic in digital games. As such, it is a requirement that all students have access to an Android mobile device, phone or tablet, for use in mobile development.
- OS: Android 10 or later
- Note: Android devices are used because the development ecosystem is free and accessible on both Windows and macOS computers. iOS devices such as iPhones present additional challenges as they require both macOS computers for development and paid development access.
- Personal External Storage:
- Minimum capacity: 1TB
- Technology: solid-state drive (SSD)
- Read/Write Speeds: approximately 500MB/second or greater (USB 3.1 or better)
- Connector: USB-A or USB-C connector as required to interface with your laptop
- Digital Drawing Pen: Students will use XP Pen graphic tablets as part of select courses in this program. Students will need a PA2-compatible XP Pen stylus. We recommend the XP Pen PA2 Battery-free Stylus.
Game - Design Special Advisor, Dr. Angela Stukator
Dr. Angela Stukator is an arts educator whose career includes teaching at the University of Western Ontario, and academic leadership at Sheridan College and Haliburton School of Art and Design. She brings to Mohawk College expertise in game design and animation, and the priority of creating programs that model best practices. An advocate of lifelong learning, Angela is dedicated to promoting domestic and global opportunities for students at all stages of their professional development.
Dr. Angela Stukator can be contacted at Game-Design@mohawkcollege.ca
Domestic Canadian Students
Contact Student Recruitment
Haven’t applied yet and have questions?
Contact our Student Recruitment team for information on programs, how to apply, and more.
Contact our Admissions advisors for help with your application.
Contact International Student Recruitment
Contact our International Student Recruitment team for information on programs, how to apply, and student life.
Toll free phone numbers:
For general questions: 1-888-Mohawk9 (1-888-664-2959)
North China: 10-800-714-2521
South China: 10-800-140-2541