Financial Assistance Frequently Asked Questions


OSAP – Summer Semester 2024

How do I apply for OSAP for the Summer semester (2023-2024)?

The 2023-2024 OSAP application is now open. To learn more and apply visit OSAP

Learn more about how to submit your 23-24 OSAP application using our video tutorial:


OSAP – General Information

What happens to my OSAP loan if I withdraw from my program?

You may be placed on academic probation and your OSAP loan may become payable if one of the following applies to you:

  • You accepted an OSAP loan
  • You received a grant or bursary overpayment
  • Your grant has or will be converted to a loan

Please note that OSAP loan payments are made to the National Student Loans Service Centre (NSLSC), not to OSAP.

Visit the National Student Loan Service Centre (opens new tab) website for the most up-to-date information.

When I try to upload my OSAP documents online, I get a message that states I’ve reached the maximum number of uploads. What should I do?

Please use the optional upload button found on the “Required Documents” page of your online OSAP application.

If you continue to have issues uploading your OSAP documents online please e-mail Financial Assistance for specific instructions regarding uploading your documents.

I forgot my OSAP login information. How can I reset my OSAP password if the college campus is closed?

Students who forget their Ontario Access Number (OAN) and/or password have two self-service options to quickly retrieve the information needed:


Students should be encouraged to use either of these options first.

However, if this is not possible (e.g., students can’t remember the answers to their questions; they did not provide or validate their email address online), please email ask [at] (ask[at]mohawkcollege[dot]ca) for additional assistance. Students also have the option to reset their OSAP login information in person (appointment is not necessary). Office hours are 8:30AM to 4:30PM Mondays to Friday. You must bring valid Government photo ID and proof of your SIN (SIN card or verification of SIN form).

What type of financial assistance is available to part-time daytime students?

The Part-time Ontario Student Assistance Program (PT-OSAP) (opens new window) is available to students who are taking 20% - 59% of a full-course load or 20%-39% if you are a student with a confirmed permanent disability.

Students with a confirmed permanent disability on their OSAP account can apply for full-time OSAP if they are registered between 40% and 100% course load.

Continuing Education students can apply for CE Bursaries here: Financial Assistance Options: Continuing Education Students

What is a Master Student Financial Assistance Agreement (MSFAA)?

The MSFAA is a legal agreement between you, your province/territory, and the Canada Student Loans Program about borrowing and repaying your provincial/territorial and federal student loans. The MSFAA is submitted electronically through the National Student Loans Service Centre (NSLSC). Additional information on how to complete your online MSFAA can be found after you apply for OSAP.

Students that experience issue when trying to complete and submit their MSFAA should contact National Student Loans Service Centre directly for assistance. (1-888-815-4514)

I am an ODSP recipient and my OSAP funding is in excess of non-educational costs

With the increase in federal grant funding, some students may be funded in excess of their non-educational costs.

Since the value of Canada Student Grants, including the Skills Boost Top-Up Grant, are flat amounts that can exceed the assessed need, some ODSP recipients may receive grants in excess of their direct educational costs. A portion of the grant(s) may be considered a “living allowance” by the ODSP caseworker.

The Ministry cannot make further adjustments to your OSAP assistance when this occurs; however, if you are also receiving loan, you may want to accept grant only, if you have not already done so, to minimize the impact of your Full-Time OSAP assistance on your ODSP income support.

Students are advised to talk to their ODSP caseworker to determine whether an adjustment will be required to the amount of their ODSP income support.

Why haven’t I received my OSAP yet?

There are a number of reasons why a student may not have received their funding yet. If you have not received your funding, it is likely that one of the situations below applies to you:

  • If you recently applied for OSAP, your application is being reviewed. It can take 6-8 weeks for the Ministry to review and verify your information.
  • You have not submitted your MSFAA or supporting documents. Your application will be on hold until the MSFAA and supporting documents have been processed by the Ministry.
  • There may be errors in your application. Check your OSAP application status online on the OSAP website (opens new window).
  • You may have made changes to your application after it was submitted that have changed your loan assessment such as income, course load, living arrangements or transportation costs. When the changes are made, the Ministry has to review your application again to assess your OSAP.
  • If the college has just received your file, it can take 3 business days for the college to confirm your enrolment. It can take 5-10 business days for the funds to be deposited in your account. (The confirmation of enrollment process does not begin until the first week of classes)

How can I check the status of my application?

Log in to your OSAP account (opens new window) to see updates on your file. You will find out if there are any errors or if the Ministry requires any additional information from you before they can process your loan. Your status will be updated throughout the assessment process. Once your status is ‘confirmed’, National Student Loans Service Centre (NSLSC) will be given your funding information and they will start to process the payments to your bank account.

What if 10 days have passed and my funds have not been deposited?

If you have not received your funds after 10 business days of Financial Assistance's confirming your enrolment, call the National Student Loans Student Centre at 1-888-815-4514.

Why did I receive two separate deposits?

Your Federal and Provincial funds are deposited separately. These deposits can arrive a few days apart. 

Will OSAP pay my deposit?

No, you will be required to make your deposit on or before the deposit due date even if you are expecting to receive OSAP funding. OSAP does not pay the initial tuition deposit for you.

Do I have to pay for my tuition?

You are responsible for paying your tuition fees. After your OSAP is disbursed, it is your responsibility to check your account status on MyMohawk to confirm your fees have been paid in full. 

How do I check my account status on MyMohawk?

Sign on to the MyMohawk portal, then select:

  • "Finances" tab
  • Under "My Statements" click on “Account Summary”

How and when will I know if I am entitled to OSAP?

Confirmation of your assessment will be provided by the Ministry. Login to the OSAP website (opens new window) to check the status of your application periodically.

What do I do if my situation changes?

Be sure to email your Financial Assistance Advisor if you have any changes to your situation (i.e. course load, income, award funding, marital status, etc.).

What do I do if my OSAP is late and I can't manage financially?

Be sure to contact Financial Assistance for options. Another resource to consider is the Mo'Money Resource Centre

In addition, students may request that their OSAP assessment eligibility be reviewed if they have a special situation that is not recognized in the standard OSAP or bursary assessment of financial need.

The following appeal outlines and forms will assist you in determining if your situation falls within an allowable review. If you have determined that your situation falls within one or more of the allowable reviews below, print off the cover page, attach all letters and supporting documentation and upload your package online through OSAP.

View Appeal Outlines and Forms

What do I do if I can't make my OSAP funds last until the end of the term?

Budget advising is available through the Mo'Money Resource Centre.

What happens to my tuition refund if I am on OSAP?

Pursuant to Ministry regulations, any tuition or fee refund will be returned to the National Student Loans Service Centre.

How do I change my bank information?

You can update your bank information by logging into your National Student Loans Service Centre account. Click My Account and select Financial Institution Information. If you need help, go to Additional Resources Opens a new window to review a step-by-step process on how to update your banking information.



I received an award – when will I receive my funding?

Please monitor your Financial Account Statement in MyMohawk for the status of your refund. Your award funding will be placed on your student account to assist you in paying down any outstanding balances. If you have no outstanding balances or holds, your funding will be removed from your student account and you will receive a refund by e-transfer to your Mohawk College e-mail account only. Details on how to accept an e-transfer will be provided to you at the time of award notification. E-transfers are processed throughout the week and sent out on Fridays.

When is the awards application available?

The Scholarships and Bursaries Application typically opens on the following dates and remains open for 2 months:
Fall semester:  August 1 - September 30
Winter semester: December 1 - January 31
Spring/Summer semester: April 1 - May 31

Submit an online Scholarships and Bursaries Application (opens new window) every semester that you attend Mohawk College to be considered for awards. Visit our Awards webpage (opens new window) for tips on how to apply.

I received an award - if I withdraw from my program will I be required to repay that money?

Yes. If you received an Award (such as a scholarship or bursary) and you withdraw from your program or drop to part-time studies, that amount will be rescinded from your student account. Please check your financial account statement in MyMohawk in the event that the rescinding of the Award has created a balance owing on your account.

Email awards [at] (awards[at]mohawkcollege[dot]ca) before withdrawing or dropping any courses to inquire into the possible changes to your eligibility.

What awards are available through Mohawk College?

There are several different types of available awards that you can apply for as a Mohawk College student. You can apply for all scholarships and bursaries with one application by submitting a Scholarships and Bursaries Application every semester. Use the Search for awards link to explore all available awards and the types of award criteria.

Some awards, like Academic or Faculty Selected Awards, are not open for application. These awards are determined by the Faculty based on academic merit and alternate criteria.

Students are also encouraged to explore external awards offered by outside organizations through our External Awards Page.

What is a Bursary?

A bursary is a type of financial award. When you are awarded a bursary you receive a certain amount of money to help pay for your education. You do not have to re-pay a bursary unless you withdraw.

Assessment is based primarily on financial need, and sometimes other criteria for example:

  • Extra-curricular activities
  • Volunteer work
  • Nationality
  • City of residence

Search for Bursaries

What is a Scholarship?

A scholarship is a type of financial award. When you are awarded a scholarship you receive a certain amount of money to help pay for your education. You do not have to re-pay a scholarship unless you withdraw.

Assessment is based primarily on academic merit, and sometimes other criteria for example:

  • Extra-curricular activities
  • Volunteer work
  • Nationality
  • City of residence

Search for Scholarships

Will my Award or Bursary affect my OSAP funding?

We will report award funding to your OSAP file. You are not required to claim your award amount unless you have received an external award that does not come through the College. As a result, award funding may affect your assessment.

Out-of-province student loan applicants/recipients:
It is your responsibility to report awards on your application. As a result, award funding may affect your assessment.

How many awards can I receive?

Normally students would receive one award type per semester however some students may be reviewed for more than one type of financial support depending on their personal situation.

How do I complete an online application?

Check out the instructions on the How to Apply page for information about how to prepare your application. You must first prepare an award application letter and budget information before you start to complete your Scholarships and Bursaries Application.

What do I need to submit if I have never attended Mohawk College before?

A high school transcript, alternate post-secondary transcript, or mature student testing from Mohawk College may be requested. No submissions are required until the student is contacted by the Awards Office.

Why do I need to provide an award application letter?

A letter detailing why you are a good candidate for an award will help us choose the successful recipient. Students who do not submit a letter will limit their options of what types of funding they could be reviewed for. Click here for the application Letter Helpful Tips.

Why do I need to submit supporting documentation?

Awards are determined by specific criteria. Additional documentation or information may be required to determine if you meet the required criteria. You must check your MyMohawk email address for notifications from Awards.

All students MUST provide the required documentation by the requested submission deadline otherwise they will be removed from awards reviews.

What do I need to submit if I am a BScN or RPN-to-BScN award applicant?

All returning BScN and RPN-to-BScN students MUST submit:

  • Record of their registration of units/term when requested by the Awards Office.
  • Copy of their academic record from McMaster when requested by the Awards Office.

Failure to submit these items will cause your application to be removed from the review.

Can I apply for financial assistance if I am a first-year student?

Yes, students who are planning to attend or are currently registered at Mohawk College and can demonstrate financial need are eligible to apply.

Am I eligible for financial assistance if I did not apply for OSAP?

Yes, students are still eligible for financial assistance if they are not receiving OSAP. However, there is an expectation that applicants first access the OSAP program (or government funding from their home province, if not a resident of Ontario).

Is an award considered to be income?

Yes. All awards such as scholarships and bursaries are considered part of a student's taxable income for the year by the Canada Revenue Agency. The College will issue T4A forms to all bursary recipients for each tax year a student receives financial assistance.

What if I am receiving government assistance from a province other than Ontario?

If you are receiving government assistance from a province other than Ontario, submit a copy of your Student Loan Notice of Assessment or Notifications of Awards with your application letter.

Why can I not apply for Faculty Selected Awards?

Faculty Selected Awards are generally scholarships that are determined and distributed in February. Academic Departments and Faculty will select the recipients based on specific criteria.

What are External Awards?

External Awards are administered by different organizations and companies independent of Mohawk College. Visit our External Listing for additional financial resources.


Financial Literacy and Mo'Money

What services are available from Mo’Money during the college closure?

Presentations and Workshops
Presentations and workshops that were previously scheduled, will be presented in webinar formats. Please visit Mo'Money Financial Literacy Resources for updates, to participate in webinar presentations, and to access previous presentations.

Financial Literacy Resources
We will be constantly adding resources to the Mo’Money website so please be sure to bookmark our Financial Literacy Resources webpage.

Book an appointment with the Money Counsellor
Book your appointment today

Complete the Money Matters Module
This module was designed to introduce you to a variety of money management ideas and concepts to build your knowledge and give you confidence in taking control of your finances.
Complete the Money Matters Module

For any questions or concerns, please contact momoney [at] (subject: Financial%20assistance%20info) (MoMoney)

Social Media
Follow us on @momoney_mohawk (Instagram) and @MohawkCollegeFinancialAssistance (Facebook)

When is the Money Matters module available and where can I access it?

The Money Matters module is now available to all registered students online through MyCanvas under “Open Offerings”.


Questions about CSEP

Will there be CSEP jobs available for the Winter?

Students are encouraged to check the CSEP website regularly for any updates or changes.


Helpful links