Office Administration - Health Services - 335
- Program is well recognized by local and extended community of hospitals and medical offices.
- Common semester 1 and 2 with Office Administration - General (380)
- Complete our highly respected Medical Terminology 1 and 2 courses.
What you'll learn
- Provide administrative support to any health office/unit.
- Discover the challenge of a private medical practice including Electronic Medical Records (EMR).
- Become skilled in specialized areas of medical transcription and Ministry of Health OHIP billing.
- Attend presentations from McMaster Department of Surgery.
- Attend the annual resume fair by St. Joseph’s Healthcare Hamilton.
Office Administration - Health Services has an active program advisory committee that meets to ensure the program is current.
View the Exceptions Calendar for start dates and semester break information.
2 academic years (periods of 8 months)
Join us at Open House from April 6 - April 11
Come and explore our campuses, meet with faculty and staff and learn about the many student services and supports available to Mohawk students to help you succeed.
We're here to help
We’re here for you to support applications and admissions by providing online and virtual service.
Applied and have questions?
The admissions team is available to help, you can contact them via Admissions or by phone at 1-844-767-6871.
Haven’t applied and need help?
Contact us or phone 905-575-2460.
Take a virtual campus tour
Explore Mohawk College from the comfort of home! Our virtual campus tours provide a guided visit of our buildings, labs, services, classrooms and athletic and recreation centre.
Learn about program delivery terms.
Domestic and International student admission requirements
- See below for accepted equivalents for Grade 12 English:
- Successful completion of the GAS-English for Academic Purposes (478 or 278) program
- TOEFL minimum score of 560 (83 Internet based)
- or IELTS Academic minimum score of 6.5 overall with no band less than 6.0
- More information about acceptable certificates, can be found on the International Admission Requirements
Applicants whose first language is not English will be required to demonstrate proficiency in English.
Tuition and Fees
2023 - 2024 Domestic Tuition and Fees
Compulsory Ancillary Fees
Compulsory Program Fees
|Total Domestic Charges Per Semester
|Total 1st Year Fees
Above fees based on full-time September program start date. Contact Student Services to confirm fees for other start dates or semesters.
- Full Cost Breakdown`
- Explore payment options
- Book costs for your program can be found through the Campus Store
2023 - 2024 International Tuition and Fees
Total Tuition & Ancillary Fees
Program Compulsory Fees
|International Tax Recovery
|Total International Charges Per Semester
|Total 1st Year Fees
If you pay by wire transfer, please note your bank might charge you a fee to transfer money. Make sure your transfer includes the Mohawk payment and the wire transfer fee. This applies to each wire transfer payment you make.
When it comes to paying for your education, investing in your future can be more affordable than you think. A Mohawk education is one of the most cost-effective means of acquiring the skills and knowledge you need to have a prosperous and rewarding career.
As you start on your chosen career path, it's important to have a realistic set of expectations regarding the expenses associated with attending college. In addition to your tuition fees, you will also need to budget for books, supplies, housing, and other related living expenses. You may be able to supplement your income and savings with scholarships, bursaries, or loans. It pays to do some research into what types of financial assistance you may qualify for.
Available Financial Assistance Resources:
- OSAP Eligible. Learn about Ontario Student Assistance Program - OSAP (domestic students only)
- Working on Campus
- Additional Sources of Funding
- Financial Assistance Home Page
Apply for Awards:
By submitting a Scholarships and Bursaries Application every semester, students have access to over $3 million in Mohawk College scholarships, bursaries and Ministry-partnered funding to help meet their financial needs.
Financial Literacy and Money Coaching:
Whether saving for school, sticking to a budget, or planning for a major purchase, financial literacy affects us all. That's why Mo' Money is committed to helping our students improve their money skills and become more confident with their money.
Course Overview & Descriptions
Click on the course title for a course description.
How you'll gain skills
- Through a mix of on-campus Labs and Simulations.
- Complete Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) billing using Ontario Medical Associations (OMA) Schedule of Benefits in a lecture and lab setting.
- Explore Academic content through Field Trips and site visits.
- Consultations with community partners to complete an Industry Project.
- Opportunities to experience a two-week, unpaid field placement in the health services sector (Eligibility requirements determined in semester 4).
Visit the Office Administration Student Work Experience Partnership page for information on the field placement opportunities for this program!
Mandatory Preplacement health and safety requirements must be completed by students prior to the field placement in semester four. The Program Coordinator will provide instruction upon completion of the second semester. Please note there may be additional expenses for the Hepatitis B and the 2-step TB test. While First Aid, CPR, and a level one police background check are not mandatory, they are recommended at any point in the program.
Students with current or prior office experience may apply for an exemption to satisfy the Field Placement requirement.
Students who are unable to be matched with a Field Placement opportunity within the community will be offered an online guided module to complete as an alternative.
Program Learning Outcomes, often referred to as ‘Program Standards', set out the essential learning that a student must achieve before being deemed ready to graduate.
In many cases these program learning outcomes were developed by the Ministry of Colleges and Universities (MCU) in consultation with employers and educators who are experts in the program field. To ensure the outcomes remain current and in line with industry needs, we invite our employers, graduates working in the field and current students to re-examine and update them during regular, ongoing program review focus groups.
Your future career options
- Business/Ward/Unit Clerk
- Patient Registration Clerk
- Ministry of Health Billing Clerk
- Administrative Assistant
- Medical Secretary
- Medical Transcriptionist
Where you could work includes
- Doctors/Specialists in Private Practice
- Laboratories and X-ray Clinics
- Hospital Units and Departments
- Community Agencies
Pathways to Mohawk
If you've successfully taken a course at another post-secondary institution, you may be able to earn course exemptions toward your credential here at Mohawk.
Pathways within Mohawk
If you have successfully completed one of the following programs at Mohawk, you may be eligible to receive transfer credit in this program. *
- General Arts and Science Certificate (College Transfer)
- Office Administration - General (Enter Semester 3)
- General Arts and Science Diploma (University Transfer)
We offer a diverse range of programs to further your studies within Mohawk following completion of this program. *
This Pathways map shows how the identified program can lead to future program choices within Mohawk.
Pathways beyond Mohawk
Earn a degree:
- Athabasca University - Bachelor of Professional Arts, Communication Studies
- Davenport University - Bachelor of Business Administration, General Business
- Davenport University - Bachelor of Science, Health Services Administration
See ontransfer.ca for additional opportunities at other colleges or universities in Ontario.
Search the Mohawk Transfer Database for opportunities outside of Ontario.
Details about specific software needs will be shared at the beginning of each course.
The Office Administration programs recommend the "Good Specifications" as listed on the Student Tech Support Hardware Specifications page.
Note: We do not recommend using a Mac as the software required in this program is not compatible with their operating system.
- Contact Judi Joslin for first and second semester inquiries
- Contact Wendy Fisher for third and fourth semester inquiries
Domestic Canadian Students
Contact Student Recruitment
Haven’t applied yet and have questions?
Contact our Student Recruitment team for information on programs, how to apply, and more.
Contact our Admissions advisors for help with your application.
Contact International Student Recruitment
Contact our International Student Recruitment team for information on programs, how to apply, and student life.
Toll free phone numbers:
For general questions: 1-888-Mohawk9 (1-888-664-2959)
North China: 10-800-714-2521
South China: 10-800-140-2541