Personal Support Worker - 110
- Program is taught using a variety of methods including online, classroom lecture, clinical and lab experiences and field placement.
- Complete your certificate with a focus in gerontology by working with adults at the new training facility at The Village of Wentworth Heights.
- $2,000 Scholarship for all full-time students starting in Fall 2021. Check the Tuition and Fees tab for more information.
What you'll learn
- Apply combined theoretical knowledge with practical skills to work as a team member with clients, families, nurses, physicians and other support services.
- Hands-on experience through professional practice placements in health care agencies under the supervision of instructors and preceptors.
- Provide service to a wide variety of clients.
- Recognize legislation that is relevant to the role including the Human Rights Code, Child and Family Services Act, Occupational Health and Safety Act, Workers’ Compensation Act, and the Long Term Care Homes Amendment Act and the acts it amends.
1 academic year (period of 8 months)
View the Exceptions Calendar for start dates and semester break information.
Discover the Institute for Applied Health Sciences at McMaster
The Institute for Applied Health Sciences (IAHS) is located in West Hamilton on the McMaster campus. The IAHS campus is where the majority (but not all) of our health programs are taught. Learn more about the IAHS:
Explore our many videos, online resources and program options within the Open House Plus website.
- OSSD or equivalent (Mohawk Academic Upgrading, GED) including:
- Grade 12 English, C or U or equivalent
- Grade 10 Mathematics, D (Academic) or P (Applied) level
Note: This program may require students to bring their own mobile computer devices (BYOD) to classes.
$2,000 Scholarship for all full-time students starting in Fall 2021. Check the Tuition and Fees tab for more information.
Language Requirements for International Students:
- See below for accepted equivalents for Grade 12 English:
Applicants whose first language is not English will be required to demonstrate proficiency in English. Options are available for mature applicants.
Tuition and Fees
Tuition and Fees
$2,000 Scholarship for all full-time students starting Personal Support Worker - 110 in Fall 2021
Earlier this year, the Ontario Government announced tuition support for students entering the Personal Support Worker program this Fall. Below are the details on eligibility for this $2000 scholarship.
All full-time international and domestic students starting in Semester 1 of the Personal Support Worker Program - 110 in Fall 2021 are eligible; this includes all Mohawk campus locations (Institute For Applied Health Sciences, Six Nations Polytechnic Brantford and Wentworth Heights – Schlegel).
- Students who remain registered in a full-time capacity until September 22 will be provided with the scholarship.
- Students who withdraw or change to part time status before September 22, will be ineligible for this scholarship.
- The tuition scholarship will be applied to the student account after September 22, 2021.
- Students will be required to complete a Scholarship Attestation to receive the scholarship, this will be sent directly to students after the start of the semester.
2021 - 2022 Domestic Tuition and Fees
|Semester 1||Semester 2|
|Compulsory Ancillary Fees||$831.02||$712.05|
|Compulsory Program Fees||$108.00||$0.00|
|Total Domestic Charges Per Semester||$2,293.06||$2,066.09|
|Total 1st Year Fees||$4,359.15|
Above fees based on full-time September program start date. Contact Student Services to confirm fees for other start dates or semesters.
- Awards: Scholarships and Bursaries
- OSAP Eligible. Learn about Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP).
- Full Cost Breakdown
2021 - 2022 International Tuition and Fees
|Semester 1||Semester 2|
|Total Tuition & Ancillary Fee||$8,095.00||$8,095.00|
|Program Compulsory Fees||$108.00||$0.00|
|International Tax Recovery||$450.00||$375.00|
|Total International Charges Per Semester||$8,653.00||$8,470.00|
|Total 1st Year Fees||$17,123.00|
- International Scholarships and Bursaries
- OSAP not eligible for International Students
- Full Cost Breakdown
If you pay by wire transfer, please note your bank might charge you a fee to transfer money. Make sure your transfer includes the Mohawk payment and the wire transfer fee. This applies to each wire transfer payment you make.
Program of Studies
Course Overview & Descriptions
Click on the course title for a course description.
How you'll gain skills
- Through the use of simulation, structured lab activities and supervised placements.
- By applying combined theoretical knowledge with practical skills during clinical placements.
All accepted applicants are required to complete certain requirements prior to clinical placement and are responsible for the associated costs. Details about pre-placement requirements will be emailed to you once you accept your offer of admission.
To be eligible for field/clinical placement, you must not have been convicted of any offence for which you have not been pardoned. If your Police Check is 'not clear', your acceptance and suitability for placement is at the discretion of the agency. Mohawk College cannot guarantee placement changes if refused by the agency.
Clinical placements may occur at locations that are not accessible by public transit. Students should expect to either have access to a car or the ability to supply their own transportation when attending clinical placements in our catchment area that includes Hamilton, Brantford, Halton, Niagara, Norfolk and surrounding regions.
Students are responsible for their own travel and costs to clinical placements.
Second semester clinical placements can include days, evenings and weekend shifts.
For more information regarding the Personal Support Worker 296 hour clinical placement, please contact stacey.money [at] mohawkcollege.ca (subject: Clinical%20Placement%20Inquiry, body: Hello%20Stacey%2C%0A%0A) (the clinical placement specialist.)
To learn more, please visit the Centre for Experiential Learning.
Program Learning Outcomes, often referred to as ‘Program Standards', set out the essential learning that a student must achieve before being deemed ready to graduate.
In many cases these program learning outcomes were developed by the Ministry of Colleges and Universities (MCU) in consultation with employers and educators who are experts in the program field. To ensure the outcomes remain current and in line with industry needs, we invite our employers, graduates working in the field and current students to re-examine and update them during regular, ongoing program review focus groups.
Your future career options
- Personal Support Workers
Where you could work includes:
- Home Care Agencies and Long Term Care Homes
- Nursing and Residential Care Facilities
Pathways to Mohawk
If you've successfully taken a course at another post-secondary institution, you may be able to earn course exemptions toward your credential here at Mohawk.
Pathways within Mohawk
If you have successfully completed one of the following programs at Mohawk, you may be eligible to receive transfer credit in this program. *
- Pre-Health Sciences Pathway to Certificates and Diplomas
- Pre-Health Sciences Pathway to Advanced Diplomas and Degrees
This Pathways map shows how the identified program can lead to future program choices within Mohawk.
Pathways beyond Mohawk
Earn another credential:
- McMaster University - Addiction Careworker Diploma (CCE)
- McMaster University - Certificate in Addiction Studies (CCE)
See ontransfer.ca for additional opportunities at other colleges or universities in Ontario.
Search the Mohawk Transfer Database for opportunities outside of Ontario.
NARS, uniforms, text books and lab kits
Minimum technical and software requirements for Online Learning courses
Computer and Internet Connection:
You will need regular access to a computer with an internet connection. High speed broadband access (LAN, Cable or DSL) is highly recommended for the optimal learning experience. Some courses have more advanced system requirements.
- Individual courses may have additional software requirements. This may include video or audio playing software or a specific software application.
- Most courses require word processing software.
- In some instances, it may be necessary for some users to upgrade their Flash or Java versions.
- Please ensure you are using an updated web browser such as Google Chrome, Safari, or Firefox, as most videos and resources are compatible with these.
The following items may also be required for some courses:
- Web Camera and Microphone.
- Virtual reality head set (do not purchase this unless instructed to do so)
Learning Management System:
Mohawk College uses Canvas as a Learning Management System (LMS). You will interact with this platform in all your course at Mohawk. Below is the Canvas community guide for browser requirements. To access press CTRL on your computer then click on the link. The link will walk you through computer specifications, Operating Systems, Internet speed, and screen readers needed to run Canvas both on your computer and a mobile device.
Visit Canvas for more information.
The Library has some good documentation regarding Canvas and provides links and resources’ to help you navigate any issues you may have.
You can also visit the student tech support on your My Mohawk page or by pressing CTRL on your computer and clicking on the link below. Here you will find support for all Technological resources such as Zoom Web Conferencing, Office 365 and Mohawk Apps. Visit Student Techincal Support.
Domestic Canadian Students
Contact Student Recruitment
Haven’t applied yet and have questions?
Contact our Student Recruitment team for information on programs, how to apply, and more.
Contact our Admissions advisors for help with your application.
Contact International Student Recruitment
Contact our International Student Recruitment team for information on programs, how to apply, and student life.
Toll free phone numbers:
For general questions: 1-888-Mohawk9 (1-888-664-2959)
North China: 10-800-714-2521
South China: 10-800-140-2541
Student Success Advisors
Student Success Advisors
Student Success Advisors assist current students to transition to college life, co-creating an academic success plan, advice on course selection, changing programs, or referrals to specialized support services. If you need help applying to Mohawk, contact Admissions (for International Students, please contact International Admissions).