Diagnostic Cardiac Sonography - 717
- Nationally recognized and accredited program (six-year accreditation).
- You will develop field and clinical skills as part of an inter-professional team in the Centre for Health Care Simulation lab.
- Outcomes of the Diagnostic Cardiac Sonography program meet the competencies outlined in the Sonography Canada National Competency profile (NCP).
- The Diagnostic Cardiac Sonography program at Mohawk College is a College of Medical Radiation Technologists of Ontario (CMRTO) approved educational program. Upon successful completion of the Diagnostic Cardiac Sonography program and registration with Sonography Canada, graduates are eligible to register with the CMRTO.
- Learn about the functional requirements in the Additional Information tab.
What you will learn
- Develop theoretical and clinical competency in the field of cardiac sonography.
- Apply sonographic physics principles of safety and quality assurance to ensure the proper use of ultrasound waves for cardiac imaging.
- Apply critical thinking and problem-solving skills while imaging complex cardiac anatomy and assessing hemodynamics.
- Deliver safe and effective patient care and communication through best practice aligning with professional standards, code of ethics and legal requirements.
View the Exceptions Calendar for start dates and semester break information.
Discover the Institute for Applied Health Sciences at McMaster
The Institute for Applied Health Sciences (IAHS) is located in West Hamilton on the McMaster campus. The IAHS campus is where the majority (but not all) of our health programs are taught. Learn more about the IAHS:
Visit Open House Plus, an on-demand, curated collection of videos, interviews and blogs about our programs, student services and supports! Get answers to your questions, watch video greeting from Deans and faculty, stay up-to-date on virtual events and more.
We’re here for you to support applications and admissions by providing online and virtual service.
Applied and have questions?
The admissions team is available to help, you can contact them via Admissions or by phone at 1-844-767-6871.
Haven’t applied and need help?
Connect with an advisor by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 905-575-2460.
Tuition and Fees
Tuition and Fees
2020 - 2021 Domestic Tuition and Fees
|Semester 1||Semester 2||Semester 3|
|Compulsory Ancillary Fees||$704.51||$698.20||$562.71|
|Compulsory Program Fees||$105.00||$0.00||$0.00|
|Total Domestic Charges Per Semester||$2,816.62||$2,705.31||$2,283.08|
|Total 1st Year Fees||$7,805.01|
Above fees based on full-time September program start date. Contact Student Services to confirm fees for other start dates or semesters.
- Awards: Scholarships and Bursaries
- OSAP Eligible. Learn about Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP).
- Full Cost Breakdown
2020 - 2021 International Tuition and Fees
|Semester 1||Semester 2||Semester 3|
|Total Tuition & Ancillary Fee||$8,376.00||$8,432.00||$8,432.00|
|Program Compulsory Fees||$105.00||$0.00||$0.00|
|International Tax Recovery||$450.00||$375.00||$375.00|
|Total International Per Semester||$8,931.00||$8,807.00||$8,807.00|
|Total 1st Year Fees||$26,545.00|
- International Scholarships and Bursaries
- OSAP not eligible for International Students
- Full Cost Breakdown
If you pay by wire transfer, please note your bank might charge you a fee to transfer money. Make sure your transfer includes the Mohawk payment and the wire transfer fee. This applies to each wire transfer payment you make.
This is a limited enrolment program. Possession of the minimum admission requirements does not guarantee admission to the program.
Applicants must possess one of the following qualifications:
- A Registered Diagnostic Medical Sonographer
- A graduate of a two-year registered health professions diploma program with six credit hours in Human Anatomy and Physiology, or equivalent, and six more health care-related credit hours (i.e., ethics, psychology, patient care, medical research, etc). Such health occupations include but are not limited to Medical Radiation Technologist, Respiratory Therapist, Registered Practical Nurse, Cardiovascular Technologist, Registered Massage Therapist, Occupational Therapist Assistant and Physiotherapist Assistant
- A graduate of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in a registered health professions program with six credit hours in Human Anatomy and Physiology, or equivalent, and six more health care-related hours (i.e., ethics, psychology, patient care, medical research, etc). Such degrees include but are not limited to BSc Kinesiology, BA Kinesiology, BSc Nursing, Bachelor of Medical Radiation Sciences, Bachelor of Health Sciences, Bachelor of Applied Health Sciences, MSc OT and MSc PT
- Applicants that have not been active in their profession within the past 5 years are not eligible to apply to the program
All applicants must submit the following documents to Ontario Colleges:
- A current résumé detailing duration and level of any patient care experience and names of courses and course codes requested under Admission Requirements section. Please use this resume template (downloads document, 40kb). Résumés must be mailed to Ontario Colleges.
- An original transcript of all postsecondary education
- A copy of current registration or license in your profession (not required for applicants who have not yet completed the 'Admission Requirements' that they are applying under)
Degrees from Countries other than Canada:
- "Course-by-course" Foreign Transcript Evaluation for Canadian Equivalency can be done through:
- Applicants with landed immigrant status must submit a copy of permanent residence card.
Mandatory admission requirements for all applicants for whom English is a second language:
- TOEFL iBT score, completed within 2 years of application, of 98 (with a minimum score of 24 in each of reading, listening and writing and 26 in speaking)
- IELTS score of 7.0 (with no band less than 6.5)
Applications without TOEFL or IELTS results will not be considered.
All required documents must be received by Ontario Colleges on or before February 15th. Applications completed between February 15 to 28 may be considered for a spot on the waiting list. Applications completed after February 28 may not be reviewed. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
Proof of English proficiency for applicants where English is not their first language must be submitted to Ontario Colleges.
Applicants whose first language is not English will be required to demonstrate proficiency in English. Options are available for mature applicants.
How you'll gain skills
- On-site laboratory experience using high-fidelity simulation and state-of-the-art sonography equipment.
- Participate in extensive unpaid clinical placements with affiliated clinical agencies.
To learn more, please visit the Centre for Experiential Learning.
All accepted applicants are required to complete certain requirements prior to clinical placement and are responsible for the associated costs. Details about pre-placement requirements will be emailed to you once you accept your offer of admission.
To be eligible for field/clinical placement, you must not have been convicted of any offence for which you have not been pardoned. If your Police Check is 'not clear', your acceptance and suitability for placement is at the discretion of the agency. Mohawk College cannot guarantee placement changes if refused by the agency.
Clinical practice may be completed at a minimum of two clinical agencies that may be located throughout Ontario (e.g. Ottawa, Owen Sound). The Program will determine allocation of students to these sites. Clinical placements may occur at locations that are not accessible by public transit or may require the student to relocate. Students must prepare financially and personally to relocate and/or commute to their assigned clinical placement. Mohawk shall not be responsible for providing students with transportation to clinical placements. Students may be required to attend clinical practice in a site that is not of their choosing.
For more information regarding the 900 hour Diagnostic Cardiac Sonography clinical placement, please contact christine.portwood [at] mohawkcollege.ca (subject: Clinical%20Placement%20Inquiry, body: Hello%20Christine%2C%0A%0A) (the clinical placement specialist.)
Where you can go next
- View our internal pathways map PDF. This Pathways map shows how the identified program can lead to future program choices within Mohawk.
- Visit Pathways and Credit Transfer for degree completion opportunities outside of Ontario.
- See ontransfer.ca for additional opportunities at other colleges or universities in Ontario.
Your future career options
- Diagnostic Medical Sonographer (DMS)
- Canadian Registered Cardiac Sonographers (CRCS)
- Registered Diagnostic Cardiac Sonographers (RDCS)
- Clinical Application Specialist
- Sonography Educator
Where you could work includes:
- Community and Teaching Hospitals
- Private Cardiology and Diagnostic Centres
- Medical Ultrasound Equipment and Software Application companies
Opportunities for grads
- National and provincial registration through certifying examinations with Sonography Canada and College of Medical Radiation Technologist of Ontario.
Program of Studies
Course Overview & Descriptions
Click on the course title for a course description.
Program Learning Outcomes, often referred to as ‘Program Standards', set out the essential learning that a student must achieve before being deemed ready to graduate.
In many cases these program learning outcomes were developed by the Ministry of Colleges and Universities (MCU) in consultation with employers and educators who are experts in the program field. To ensure the outcomes remain current and in line with industry needs, we invite our employers, graduates working in the field and current students to re-examine and update them during regular, ongoing program review focus groups.
The Diagnostic Medical Sonography health professions are intellectually, emotionally and physically demanding. It is important that applicants become familiar with the profession(s) before entering the program to be able to function at an acceptable standard. Learn about the functional requirements and physical demands for Medical Sonographers (NOC 2016).
You may be required to act as simulated patients for your peers in skills course labs and during skills practice sessions.
Domestic Canadian Students
Contact Student Recruitment
Contact our Student Recruitment team for information on our programs, student life, and more.
Contact our Admissions advisors for help with your application.
Contact International Student Recruitment
Contact our International Student Recruitment team for information on programs, how to apply, and student life.
Toll free phone numbers:
For general questions: 1-888-Mohawk9 (1-888-664-2959)
North China: 10-800-714-2521
South China: 10-800-140-2541
Student Success Advisors
Student Success Advisors
Student Success Advisors assist current students to transition to college life, co-creating an academic success plan, advice on course selection, changing programs, or referrals to specialized support services. If you need help applying to Mohawk, contact Admissions (for International Students, please contact International Admissions).