Nursing (BScN) - 731
Please note applications are submitted to Ontario Colleges.
BScN is now the minimum requirement for nursing registration with the College of Nurses of Ontario in order to practice as a registered nurse (RN).
Be sure to read the Nursing - BScN frequently asked questions.
- Collaborative program of McMaster University, Mohawk College and Conestoga College. You may choose to attend one of the three sites and graduate with a Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BScN) degree from McMaster University.
- Emphasis on person-centered learning within a problem-based approach.
- Designed so that the study of nursing, humanities, and physiological, psychological and social sciences are interrelated and threaded throughout the program.
What you'll learn
- How to gather and critically evaluate research to promote critical thinking and to provide evidence-based practice.
4 academic years (academic and clinical experiences)
View the Exceptions Calendar for start dates and semester break information.
Discover the Institute for Applied Health Sciences at McMaster
The Institute for Applied Health Sciences (IAHS) is located in West Hamilton on the McMaster campus. The IAHS campus is where the majority (but not all) of our health programs are taught. Learn more about the IAHS:
Join us at our Open House Events
Why you should attend an Open House
- Get information on Mohawk's 100+ programs and meet staff and faculty
- Meet faculty, staff and students from our program areas
- Explore student services and supports that can help you succeed
- Take a campus tour and see the newest spaces
- Learn about financial assistance and your payment options
Tuition and Fees
Tuition and Fees
2018 - 2019 Domestic Tuition and Fees
|Total Ancillary Fees||$1,639.79|
|Mandatory Program Fees||$101.00|
|Total Domestic Charges Per Semester||$8,455.09|
|Total 1st Year Fees||$8,455.09|
Above fees based on full-time September program start date. Contact Student Services to confirm fees for other start dates or semesters.
- Awards: Scholarships and Bursaries
- OSAP Eligible. Learn about Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP).
- Full Cost Breakdown
This is a limited enrolment program. Possession of the minimum admission requirements does not guarantee admission to the program. Applicants to this program may be required to complete standardized testing in addition to published admission requirements. A fee may apply.
For competitive programs (the number of qualified applicants exceeds the number of available places), selection will be based on the average of the highest senior level final grades in the required courses that are available at the time of ranking.
Final selection is made using a formula that combines academic strength with the score on the CASPer™ assessment
Computer-Based Assessment for Sampling Personal Characteristics (CASPer™ Test)
All applicants to the Nursing (BScN) program, at Mohawk College are required to complete a mandatory online 90 minute computer-based test (CASPer™), to assist with our selection process. Successful completion of CASPer™ is mandatory in order to maintain admission eligibility. CASPer™ assesses for non-cognitive skills and interpersonal characteristics we believe are important for successful students and graduates of our program and will complement our other applicant screening tools. In implementing CASPer™, we are trying to further enhance fairness and objectivity in our selection process.
For more information, check out the CASPer™ website.
Testing dates for the Fall 2019-2020 academic year are as follows:
- Tuesday, November 20, 2018
- Thursday, January 24, 2019
- Tuesday, February 12, 2019
- Sunday, February 24, 2019
Apply to ontariocolleges.ca and submit all university transcripts to the Ontario Colleges Application Service.
How you’ll gain skills
- Applying concepts from nursing and related disciplines to your experiences in the classroom, laboratory and clinical settings.
All accepted applicants are required to complete certain requirements prior to clinical placement and are responsible for the associated costs. Details about pre-placement requirements will be emailed to you once you accept your offer of admission.
To be eligible for field/clinical placement, you must not have been convicted of any offence for which you have not been pardoned. If your Police Check is 'not clear', your acceptance and suitability for placement is at the discretion of the agency. Mohawk College cannot guarantee placement changes if refused by the agency.
Students are responsible for their own travel and costs to clinical placements. Clinical placements may occur at locations that are not accessible by public transit. Students should expect to either have access to a car or the ability to supply their own transportation when attending clinical placements in our catchment area that includes Hamilton, Brantford, Halton, Niagara, Norfolk and surrounding regions.
Where you can go next
- Mohawk offers a diverse range of programs to further your studies**:
- Earn a degree:
- View our pathways map PDF. This Pathways map shows how the identified program can lead to future program choices.
- Visit Pathways and Credit Transfer for degree completion opportunities outside of Ontario.
- See ontransfer.ca for additional opportunities at other colleges or universities in Ontario.
Your future career options
- Registered Nurse
Registration to Practice Nursing
Upon receiving the BScN degree from McMaster University, graduates are eligible to write the NCLEX-RN exam which is administered by the College of Nurses of Ontario (CNO).
Program of Studies
Program Learning Outcomes, often referred to as ‘Program Standards', set out the essential learning that a student must achieve before being deemed ready to graduate.
In many cases these program learning outcomes were developed by the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities (MTCU) in consultation with employers and educators who are experts in the program field. To ensure the outcomes remain current and in line with industry needs, we invite our employers, graduates working in the field and current students to re-examine and update them during regular, ongoing program review focus groups.
Contact our Student Recruitment team for information on our programs, student life, and more.
Domestic Canadian Students
Toll free phone numbers:
For general questions: 1-888-Mohawk9 (1-888-664-2959)
North China: 10-800-714-2521
South China: 10-800-140-2541
Contact our Admissions advisors for help with your application.
Domestic Canadian Students
Contact International Admissions
*Not all programs are international eligible. Please see our programs available for international students.
Student Success Advisors
Student Success Advisors
Student Success Advisors assist current students to transition to college life, co-creating an academic success plan, advice on course selection, changing programs, or referrals to specialized support services. If you need help applying to Mohawk, contact Admissions (for International Students, please contact International Admissions).