Community Pharmacy Assistant - 796
- Gain hands-on experience through both labs and actual pharmacy settings.
What you'll learn
- Understand processes and legislation related to dispensing prescriptions, drug inventory controls and customer service.
- Identify the uses and classes of available prescription medications, non-prescription products and medical devices.
1 academic year (period of 9 months)
View the Exceptions Calendar for start dates and semester break information.
Discover the Institute for Applied Health Sciences at McMaster
The Institute for Applied Health Sciences (IAHS) is located in West Hamilton on the McMaster campus. The IAHS campus is where the majority (but not all) of our health programs are taught. Learn more about the IAHS:
We're here to help
We’re here for you to support applications and admissions by providing online and virtual service.
Applied and have questions?
The admissions team is available to help, you can contact them via Admissions or by phone at 1-844-767-6871.
Haven’t applied and need help?
Contact us or phone 905-575-2460.
Learn about program delivery terms.
Domestic and International student admission requirements
OSSD or equivalent (Mohawk Academic Upgrading, GED) including:
- Grade 12 English, C or U level or equivalent
- Grade 11 Mathematics, minimum C level (M or U level recommended)
- Grade 11 or 12 Chemistry or Biology, C or U level
- Recommended: good computer and Windows-based skills, 35 WPM keyboarding, and good written and verbal communication skills.
- The pharmacy assistant health profession is physically demanding. It is important that applicants become familiar with the profession before entering the program so that they are able to function at an acceptable standard. Some of the physical requirements include: working on your feet for multiple hours, medium load bearing activities and fine motor skills with good visual acuity.
Language Requirements for Applicants with English as a Second Language
- See below for accepted equivalents for Grade 12 English:
- Successful completion of the GAS-English for Academic Purposes (478 or 278) program
- TOEFL minimum score of 550 (80 Internet based)
- or IELTS Academic minimum score of 6.0 overall with no band less than 5.5
- More information about acceptable certificates, can be found on the International Admission Requirements
Applicants whose first language is not English will be required to demonstrate proficiency in English.
Tuition and Fees
2022 - 2023 Domestic Tuition and Fees
|Compulsory Ancillary Fees
|Compulsory Program Fees
|Total Domestic Charges Per Semester
|Total 1st Year Fees
Above fees based on full-time September program start date. Contact Student Services to confirm fees for other start dates or semesters.
- Full Cost Breakdown
- Explore payment options
- Book costs for your program can be found through the McMaster Campus Store
2022 - 2023 International Tuition and Fees
|Total Tuition & Ancillary Fee
|Program Compulsory Fees
|International Tax Recovery
|Total International Per Semester
|Total 1st Year Fees
If you pay by wire transfer, please note your bank might charge you a fee to transfer money. Make sure your transfer includes the Mohawk payment and the wire transfer fee. This applies to each wire transfer payment you make.
When it comes to paying for your education, investing in your future can be more affordable than you think. A Mohawk education is one of the most cost-effective means of acquiring the skills and knowledge you need to have a prosperous and rewarding career.
As you start on your chosen career path, it's important to have a realistic set of expectations regarding the expenses associated with attending college. In addition to your tuition fees, you will also need to budget for books, supplies, housing, and other related living expenses. You may be able to supplement your income and savings with scholarships, bursaries, or loans. It pays to do some research into what types of financial assistance you may qualify for.
Available Financial Assistance Resources:
- OSAP Eligible. Learn about Ontario Student Assistance Program - OSAP (domestic students only)
- Working on Campus
- Additional Sources of Funding
- Financial Assistance Home Page
Apply for Awards:
By submitting a Scholarships and Bursaries Application every semester, students have access to over $3 million in Mohawk College scholarships, bursaries and Ministry-partnered funding to help meet their financial needs.
Financial Literacy and Money Coaching:
Whether saving for school, sticking to a budget, or planning for a major purchase, financial literacy affects us all. That's why Mo' Money is committed to helping our students improve their money skills and become more confident with their money.
Course Overview & Descriptions
Click on the course title for a course description.
How you'll gain skills
- Through practical experience in simulated pharmacy practice lab courses.
- Attending clinical placement in a combination of two community pharmacy experiential courses.
All accepted applicants are required to complete certain requirements prior to clinical placement and are responsible for the associated costs. Details about pre-placement requirements will be emailed to you once you accept your offer of admission.
To be eligible for field/clinical placement, you must not have been convicted of any offence for which you have not been pardoned. If your Police Check is 'not clear', your acceptance and suitability for placement is at the discretion of the agency. Mohawk College cannot guarantee placement changes if refused by the agency.
Clinical placement experience is provided in community pharmacies throughout Ontario.
Clinical placements may occur at locations that are not accessible by public transit. As such, students shall be expected to either have access to a car or the ability to supply their own transportation when attending clinical placement activity. Mohawk shall not be responsible for providing students with transportation to clinical placements.
For more information regarding the 170 hour Community Pharmacy Assistant clinical placement, please contact angela.grimminck [at] mohawkcollege.ca (subject: CPA%20Clinical%20Placement%20Inquiry, body: Hello%20Professor%20Roach%2C%0A%0A) (the placement coordinator.)
Additional information for international applicants
Please note that international students require a co-op work permit in order to participate in the work experience component of this program. If you do not receive a co-op work permit upon your arrival in Canada, you will need to apply for one in order to complete the work experience component.
It is wise to get a Police Clearance Certificate and an international driver’s licence before you leave your home country. There are a number of Mohawk authorized study abroad agents that can assist you – contact our office to find an authorized agent nearest to you.
Program Learning Outcomes, often referred to as ‘Program Standards', set out the essential learning that a student must achieve before being deemed ready to graduate.
In many cases these program learning outcomes were developed by the Ministry of Colleges and Universities (MCU) in consultation with employers and educators who are experts in the program field. To ensure the outcomes remain current and in line with industry needs, we invite our employers, graduates working in the field and current students to re-examine and update them during regular, ongoing program review focus groups.
Your future career options
- Pharmacy Assistant
Where you could work includes:
- Independent and Corporate Community Pharmacies
- Long-Term Care and Compounding Pharmacies
- Pharmacy Benefit Providers
- Pharmacy Software Vendors
Pathways to Mohawk
If you've successfully taken a course at another post-secondary institution, you may be able to earn course exemptions toward your credential here at Mohawk.
Pathways within Mohawk
If you have successfully completed one of the following programs at Mohawk, you may be eligible to receive transfer credit in this program. *
- Pre-Health Sciences Pathway to Advanced Diplomas and Degrees
- Pre-Health Sciences Pathway to Certificate and Diplomas
We offer a diverse range of programs to further your studies within Mohawk following completion of this program. *
This Pathways map shows how the identified program can lead to future program choices within Mohawk.
Pathways beyond Mohawk
See ontransfer.ca for additional opportunities at other colleges or universities in Ontario.
Search the Mohawk Transfer Database for opportunities outside of Ontario.
The pharmacy assistant health profession is physically demanding. It is important that applicants become familiar with the profession before entering the program so that they are able to function at an acceptable standard. Some of the physical functionality required includes: working on your feet for multiple hours, medium load bearing activities, fine motor skills with good visual acuity.
All the pharmacy courses are taught at the Mohawk-McMaster Institute for Applied Health Sciences. Lectures are delivered in state of the art "Smartrooms" and practical labs are taught in our dedicated pharmacy lab space which consists of two different rooms (computer lab and compounding/dispensing lab).
Domestic Canadian Students
Contact Student Recruitment
Haven’t applied yet and have questions?
Contact our Student Recruitment team for information on programs, how to apply, and more.
Contact our Admissions advisors for help with your application.
Contact International Student Recruitment
Contact our International Student Recruitment team for information on programs, how to apply, and student life.
Toll free phone numbers:
For general questions: 1-888-Mohawk9 (1-888-664-2959)
North China: 10-800-714-2521
South China: 10-800-140-2541