Graphic Design - 508
- Become TechCreative by immersing yourself in the skills for the design, print and web production fields.
- Develop your skills in one of the most advanced digital print learning centre in Canada.
- Gain professional experience through our unique living lab experience.
- Learners have educational options with three streams of learning to choose from:
Digital Print stream
Students in the Digital Print stream will have the opportunity to work in the Hugh Cameron Digital Print Learning Centre (DPLC), where they will learn and practice skills involved in digital printing, finishing, and packaging. Students will be engaged in hands-on experiences to develop a strong understanding of how design transforms from a digital concept to a finished product. The project-based learning will develop an understanding of how to effectively design to meet production compliance and industry standards.
Students in our Illustration stream will develop an individual style through the application of traditional skills and mediums (e.g. graphite, coloured pencils, Copic markers, gouache, acrylic and watercolour painting), as well as digital illustration skills and tools (e.g. Wacom digital drawing tablet), based on strong design theory and aesthetic judgment. Advanced techniques include integrating traditional mediums with digital media.
User Experience/User Interface
Students in our UX/UI stream will create and design web based products entirely from the user’s perspective through experiential and project based learning. In UX (User Experience), they will engage in design thinking, usability testing, site architecture, user flows, etc. In UI (User Interface) students will use industry standard tools to style wireframes, high fidelity mockups and prototypes of web products and apps based on interaction design and aesthetics. Students will gain practical skills and experience in all areas of the UX/UI development process.
Enrolment is limited per stream.
What you'll learn
- Practical and theoretical design skills.
- Professional techniques in digital design composition.
- Technical skills for design, print and web production.
- Package design and production.
- Compose digital photographic images for design, print and web production.
- Develop a strong sense of colour and colour management theories and techniques.
- Study professional techniques in digital design using the most current industry software applications.
- Physically operate industry-standard digital and finishing technologies.
- Perform illustrations and artistic techniques to render images in both traditional and digital media.
The most unique Graphic Design program in Canada, offering optional studies in illustration or digital print and finishing.
3 academic years (periods of 8 months)
Note: Students who start Semester 1 in January will enter Semester 2 in May followed by Semester 3 in September.
Explore our many videos, online resources and program options within the Open House Plus website.
We’re here for you to support applications and admissions by providing online and virtual service.
Applied and have questions?
The admissions team is available to help, you can contact them via Admissions or by phone at 1-844-767-6871.
Haven’t applied and need help?
Contact us or phone 905-575-2460.
The Collective, powered by SURGE, offers students a platform to showcase their talents and gain experience freelancing, while developing their portfolios before they enter the workforce. This platform showcases students from an assortment of program areas sparking an entrepreneurial mindset, preparing creative students for the future.
Hire a Mohawk student to create stunning visuals, creative graphics and smart media by visiting The Collective.
Our students win provincial and national awards!
The Ad and Design Club of Canada (ADDC) hosts an annual student contest, considered by many to be the most prominent Canadian student competitions for Advertising and Design students. All finalists make it into an annual that is seen by most people in the Advertising and Design industry. Winning work is featured on the ADCC Archive, alongside work belonging to the industry’s top professionals – cementing your place in Canadian creative history, which stretches back over 70 years.
Mohawk’s Graphic Design student Ana-Marija Vlahovic wins bronze in the Ad and Design Club of Canada 2020 student competition.
Chocolate for Knights by Ana-Marija Vlahovic (3rd year student)
Marco Polo by Ana-Marija Vlahovic (3rd year student)
El Poder Beer Packaging by Sara Veronica Alas Alvarez (3rd year student)
Video by Shannon Rollo
Video by Sarah Bullard
Domestic and International student admission requirements
OSSD or equivalent (Mohawk Academic Upgrading, GED) including:
- Grade 12 English, C or U or equivalent
- Students will be required to pay a digital print fee
- Students are required to purchase a specified Mac laptop computer with software for use in the program. Accepted applicants will be notified of details regarding hardware and software purchases to include a digital drawing tablet and semester material fees.
- For laptop and software requirements, see Equipment Requirements under Additional Information
Note: As of 2019-2020 academic year the following admission addition:
- In cases of a competitive intake, a bonus will be applied for applicants who have completed Grade 12 visual or media arts courses.
Language Requirements for International Students:
- See below for accepted equivalents for Grade 12 English:
Applicants whose first language is not English will be required to demonstrate proficiency in English. Options are available for mature applicants.
Tuition and Fees
Tuition and Fees
2021 - 2022 Domestic Tuition and Fees
|Semester 1||Semester 2|
|Compulsory Ancillary Fees||$831.02||$712.05|
|Compulsory Program Fees||$15.51||$20.15|
|Total Domestic Charges Per Semester||$2,366.18||$2,251.85|
|Total 1st Year Fees||$4,618.03|
Above fees based on full-time September program start date. Contact Student Services to confirm fees for other start dates or semesters.
- Awards: Scholarships and Bursaries
- OSAP Eligible. Learn about Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP).
- Full Cost Breakdown
2021 - 2022 International Tuition and Fees
|Semester 1||Semester 2|
|Total Tuition & Ancillary Fee||$8,600.00||$8,600.00|
|Program Compulsory Fees||$15.51||$20.15|
|International Tax Recovery||$450.00||$375.00|
|Total International Per Semester||$9,065.51||$8,995.15|
|Total 1st Year Fees||$18,060.66|
- International Scholarships and Bursaries
- OSAP not eligible for International Students
- Full Cost Breakdown
If you pay by wire transfer, please note your bank might charge you a fee to transfer money. Make sure your transfer includes the Mohawk payment and the wire transfer fee. This applies to each wire transfer payment you make.
- Financial Assistance
- View the Additional Information Tab for any additional costs
Program of Studies
Course Overview & Descriptions
Click on the course title for a course description.
How you'll gain skills
- Use the most current industry software in our state of the art labs.
- Field placement in final semester.
- Work with real-world clients in The Agency, Mohawk’s student-run advertising agency.
- Through hands-on experience use a wide array of industry standard equipment in the Hugh Cameron Digital Print Learning Centre.
- Develop a design portfolio and have it critiqued by industry professionals through performance based learning.
Students participate in an unpaid field placement. For more information regarding the Graphic Design field placement, please contact: wesley.beckett [at] mohawkcollege.ca
The Agency is an experiential learning facility operating within the McKeil School of Business at Mohawk College. Students from a variety of programs including Advertising, Public Relations, Marketing, Graphics and Broadcast Media collaborate in developing real world marketing and communications solutions for selected non-profit organizations and start-up companies in the greater Hamilton area.
All projects with our client/partners are integrated into the curriculum and students are marked on what they do. They work under close faculty supervision as they develop effective marketing communications solutions relevant to meeting clear client objectives.
Program Learning Outcomes, often referred to as ‘Program Standards', set out the essential learning that a student must achieve before being deemed ready to graduate.
In many cases these program learning outcomes were developed by the Ministry of Colleges and Universities (MCU) in consultation with employers and educators who are experts in the program field. To ensure the outcomes remain current and in line with industry needs, we invite our employers, graduates working in the field and current students to re-examine and update them during regular, ongoing program review focus groups.
Your future career options
- Graphic Designer
- Design and Production Specialists
- Prepress and Web Services Specialist
- Freelance Designer
Where you could work includes:
- Design, Publishing and Printing Industries
- Prepress and Web Services
- Advertising and Marketing
- Digital Media Industries
- Packaging Design
- New business venture opportunities
- Sign, screen and display companies
Opportunities for grads
- The Association of Registered Graphic Designers of Ontario (RGD Ontario)
- PAC Packaging Consortium
Pathways to Mohawk
If you've successfully taken a course at another post-secondary institution, you may be able to earn course exemptions toward your credential here at Mohawk.
Pathways within Mohawk
If you have successfully completed one of the following programs at Mohawk, you may be eligible to receive transfer credit in this program. *
- Art and Design Foundations
- Pre-Media and Entertainment
- Photography - Still and Motion
- General Arts and Science (University Transfer)
- Advertising and Marketing Communications Management
- Broadcasting - Television and Communications Media
We offer a diverse range of programs to further your studies within Mohawk following completion of this program. *
This Pathways map shows how the identified program can lead to future program choices within Mohawk.
Pathways beyond Mohawk
- Earn a degree:
- Davenport University - Bachelor of Business Administration, General Business
- Griffith University - Bachelor of Design, Bachelor of Digital Media
- Limerick Institute of Technology - Bachelor of Arts (Honours) in Graphic Design Communication
See ontransfer.ca for additional opportunities at other colleges or universities in Ontario.
Search the Mohawk Transfer Database for opportunities outside of Ontario.
Laptop Program & Software Requirements
As indicated in our admission requirements a mandatory Apple® laptop program has been implemented. This initiative enhances the student-learning environment and increases student satisfaction, providing each graduate with industry leading hardware and software that will support you in pursuit of your career goals. If you currently own an Apple® laptop that meets our minimum standard and is capable of running the required software, a new purchase will not be required.
Below is listed the minimum requirements for laptop hardware and software:
Domestic Canadian Students
Contact Student Recruitment
Haven’t applied yet and have questions?
Contact our Student Recruitment team for information on programs, how to apply, and more.
Contact our Admissions advisors for help with your application.
Contact International Student Recruitment
Contact our International Student Recruitment team for information on programs, how to apply, and student life.
Toll free phone numbers:
For general questions: 1-888-Mohawk9 (1-888-664-2959)
North China: 10-800-714-2521
South China: 10-800-140-2541
Do you have a project for our students?
If you or your organization has a marketing communications project that might be suitable for our students, please apply below. We will respond to you as soon as we can. Please note that we do not accept applications made directly to faculty or program coordinators. If you have any questions please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Student Success Advisors
Student Success Advisors
Student Success Advisors assist current students to transition to college life, co-creating an academic success plan, advice on course selection, changing programs, or referrals to specialized support services. If you need help applying to Mohawk, contact Admissions (for International Students, please contact International Admissions).