Broadcasting - Television and Communications Media - 651
- Work on real-world projects with actual clients.
- Attain your Avid Learning Partner – Media Composer Certification.
- Produce sports content with Ontario Colleges Athletic Association, Ontario University Athletics, and Ontario Hockey League partners.
What you'll learn
- Content creation and distribution for traditional and new media platforms.
- Sport and event production skills with professional HD mobile facilities.
- Camera, lighting and sound techniques for location production.
- Live and scripted studio production operations.
- Production management and direction.
- Edit video, sound and graphics.
Media equipment and training
HD training facilities:
- Production studio space (2394 square feet) and Black Box/EFP Studio space (1269 square feet).
- HD Production Control room (Ross Vision Switcher, XPression Graphics, Inception Prompter, Yamaha 48 input sound console, 4 Cameras, 20 foot jib arm).
- HD Mobile Production (For.A Switcher, XPression Graphics, NewTek 3Play 820 Repaly, Yamaha 48 input sound console, 6 Cameras).
- TriCaster and Black Magic flight packs
- Professional level Sony and Panasonic location cameras.
- DJI Osmo stabilizer cameras and DJI Drone mounted cameras.
- LED studio lighting / LED location lighting / Incandescent location lighting.
- Sennheiser boom microphones and wireless systems.
- Zoom multi-track location recording systems.
- Training in Adobe Creative Suite, Avid Media Composer, Avid ProTools, and Quantel Rio
Broadcasting - Television and Communications Media program is an award winning real world media education program that merges the student's artistic concepts with technological tools.
Students produce material for a variety of different media genres and platforms: broadcast television, documentary, independent film, corporate communications, digital signage and web applications. Mohawk College has extensive post-production courses and is one of the few AVID Certified Colleges in Ontario.
During the final year of the program, students will write, produce and edit their capstone production. Students will also complete a 245 hour Work Placement working directly for a professional media organization. Recent graduates have completed placements with Maple Leaf Sports Entertainment, Big Brother Canada, CBC, CHCH Television, CityTV, Stelco Canada, and Sportsnet.
3 academic years (periods of 8 months)
Thinking about coming to Mohawk?
Attend a College Information Session to:
- Get help completing your application
- Learn more about what Mohawk has to offer
Mohawk College 50th Anniversary Music Video
In the Press:
Mohawk Students' Documentary Film Superfan
Photo credit: Image from BrantNews.com
Superfan, a short documentary produced, written, and directed by Mohawk College students is profiled at BrantNews. Superfan explores the history and psychology of superhero movies. Read more about Superfan.
The Collective, powered by SURGE, offers students a platform to showcase their talents and gain experience freelancing, while developing their portfolios before they enter the workforce. This platform showcases students from an assortment of program areas sparking an entrepreneurial mindset, preparing creative students for the future.
Hire a Mohawk student to create stunning visuals, creative graphics and smart media by visiting The Collective.
Tuition and Fees
Tuition and Fees
2019 - 2020 Domestic Tuition and Fees
|Semester 1||Semester 2|
|Compulsory Ancillary Fees||$704.63||$635.86|
|Optional Ancillary Fees||$104.43||$44.43|
|Compulsory Program Fees||$0.00||$0.00|
|Total Domestic Charges Per Semester||$2,163.10||$2,034.33|
|Total 1st Year Fees||$4,197.43|
Above fees based on full-time September program start date. Contact Student Services to confirm fees for other start dates or semesters.
- Awards: Scholarships and Bursaries
- OSAP Eligible. Learn about Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP).
- Full Cost Breakdown
2019 - 2020 International Tuition and Fees
|Semester 1||Semester 2|
|Total Tuition & Ancillary Fee||$7,490.57||$7,550.57|
|Optional Ancillary Fees||$104.43||$44.43|
|Program Compulsory Fees||$0.00||$0.00|
|International Tax Recovery||$450.00||$375.00|
|Total International Per Semester||$8,045.00||$7,970.00|
|Total 1st Year Fees||$16,015.00|
- International Scholarships and Bursaries
- OSAP not eligible for International Students
- Full Cost Breakdown
If you pay by wire transfer, please note your bank might charge you a fee to transfer money. Make sure your transfer includes the Mohawk payment and the wire transfer fee. This applies to each wire transfer payment you make.
- Financial Assistance
- View the Additional Information Tab for any additional costs
Domestic and International student admission requirements
- OSSD or equivalent (Mohawk Academic Upgrading, GED) including:
- Grade 12 English, C or U or equivalent (minimum 65%)
- This is a high demand advanced program. Applicants may be requested to provide additional information or attend informational/interview sessions
- Applicants may be requested to provide additional information or attend informational/interview sessions
- Prospective students should possess excellent communication skills and should demonstrate a strong interest in media production
- Volunteer experience at a media outlet is an asset
- Communications Technology and Media Studies secondary school courses an asset
- Students will be required to purchase a Mac laptop through the College and pay a digital print fee (please see Laptop Requirements under Additional Information)
- A department branded shirt will need to be purchased and will be required to be worn for productions
- See below for accepted equivalents for Grade 12 English:
Applicants whose first language is not English will be required to demonstrate proficiency in English. Options are available for mature applicants.
How you'll gain skills
- Engage in team focused industry relevant projects.
- Build your demo reel with actual client content.
- Produce live sports for venue and online streaming.
- Train on industry recognized equipment.
- Explore academic content through field trips and site visits
- Create content in professional HD studios and HD mobile production facilities.
- Experience a seven-week field placement.
Industry related partnerships
- Sportsnet, Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment, TSN, Dome Productions, Broadcast Services International, Mediapro, Bell Canadian Open, Hamilton Bulldogs, Ontario College Athletics Association and Ontario University Athletics
- Corus Entertainment, Global, Bell-Media, Shaw, CBC, CHCH TV, Cable 14, Rogers, Cogeco TV, CityTV / Omni, Weather Network
- Insight TV Productions, Juno Awards, Shaftesbury, Blue Ant Media, Digital Canaries, Deluxe Post, Advertising Agencies, Post Production Houses
Students participate in a 24 hour unpaid field placement. For more information, please see the Broadcasting-TV and Communications Media Field Placement Resource page.
The Agency is an experiential learning facility operating within the McKeil School of Business at Mohawk College. Students from a variety of programs including Advertising, Public Relations, Marketing, Graphics and Broadcast Media collaborate in developing real world marketing and communications solutions for selected non-profit organizations and start-up companies in the greater Hamilton area.
All projects with our client/partners are integrated into the curriculum and students are marked on what they do. They work under close faculty supervision as they develop effective marketing communications solutions relevant to meeting clear client objectives.
Where you can go next
- Mohawk offers a diverse range of programs to further your studies**:
- Earn a degree:
- Brock University - Honours Bachelor of Arts Popular Culture or Media and Communication Studies or Business Communications Degree
- Davenport University - Bachelor of Business Administration
- Griffith University - Bachelor of Public Relations & Communication
- Limerick Institute of Technology - Bachelor of Science (Honours) in Creative Broadcast and Film
- View our internal pathways map PDF. This Pathways map shows how the identified program can lead to future program choices within Mohawk.
- Visit Pathways and Credit Transfer for degree completion opportunities outside of Ontario.
- See ontransfer.ca for additional opportunities at other colleges or universities in Ontario.
Your future career options
- Content Producer/Copy Writer
- Commercial and Corporate Video Producer
- Location Sound Operator/Sound Designer
- Post Production Visual and Audio Editor
- Studio Production Technical Operator
- Live Sports and Entertainment Crew Member
- Independent Documentary Producer
Where you could work includes:
- Live Sports and Entertainment venues
- Video Production studios
- Corporate Communication teams
- Television Stations
- Post Production facilities
- Content Development companies
Opportunities for grads
- Avid Learning Partner – Media Composer Certification
- Broadcast Educators Association of Canada (BEAC)
- Broadcast Educators Association of Canada
- College Media Association
Visit the Broadcasting - Television and Communications Media Field Placement Resources page for more information.
Program of Studies
Course Overview & Descriptions
Click on the course title for a course description.
Program Learning Outcomes, often referred to as ‘Program Standards', set out the essential learning that a student must achieve before being deemed ready to graduate.
In many cases these program learning outcomes were developed by the Ministry of Colleges and Universities (MCU) in consultation with employers and educators who are experts in the program field. To ensure the outcomes remain current and in line with industry needs, we invite our employers, graduates working in the field and current students to re-examine and update them during regular, ongoing program review focus groups.
- Our grads have won many top industry awards
Special event coverage
Students have participated in:
- Pilot and Web Series Productions
- OHL Hockey Coverage – Hamilton Bulldogs
- Mohawk and McMaster varsity sports games
- Live event coverage in the McIntyre Performing Arts Centre
- Community and College events
- Excellent communications skills
- Teamwork experience
- Understanding of computer technology
- Demonstrate a strong interest in media production
- Volunteer at community cable stations
- CommunicationsTechnology and Media
- Studies secondary school courses an asset
- Awareness of social media platforms
As you may be aware a mandatory laptop program has been implemented. This initiative was started by our Broadcasting Television program to enhance the student learning environment and increase student satisfaction, providing each graduate with industry leading hardware and software to assist with obtaining his or her career goals. It also reflects a trend towards convergence in the industry, in which individual field personal are routinely expected to file across several different media platforms, and edit their own material.
Mohawk College currently has a partnership agreement with Apple® Canada. We recommend that you shop on Mohawk's Custom Online Apple Store, to receive educational discounts when purchasing your new MacBook Pro. If you already own an Apple laptop which meets our minimum standard of running the required software, a new purchase will not be required.
To Access Mohawk’s Custom Online Store:
Log into your MyMohawk account with your MohawkID and password at MyMohawk. Click on the Technology Solutions and navigate to the Computer Store. Once you arrive to our Mohawk College Discount store webpage, select the link at the top right corner to view a list of the MacBook Pro’s we recommend for this program.
The minimum and recommended configurations for Fall 2019 and Winter 2020 are as follows.
It is strongly recommended that students purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan, which is included with the recommend system by default. You will require the use of your MacBook Pro for day-to-day productivity and any potential downtime could have a significant impact on your academic success. AppleCare will ensure that you will have the best possible experience with your new MacBook Pro, especially if something out of the ordinary should happen. However, if you do not wish to purchase AppleCare, you can remove AppleCare from the bundle using the Remove button in the cart.
If the purchase of these tools presents a challenge for you, contact the Program Coordinator to discuss your options.
Hardware and software specifications listed on this site will be updated in May for the upcoming intake. We recommend waiting for this update before making any purchases.
Domestic Canadian Students
Contact Student Recruitment
Contact our Student Recruitment team for information on our programs, student life, and more.
Contact our Admissions advisors for help with your application.
Contact International Student Recruitment
Contact our International Student Recruitment team for information on programs, how to apply, and student life.
Toll free phone numbers:
For general questions: 1-888-Mohawk9 (1-888-664-2959)
North China: 10-800-714-2521
South China: 10-800-140-2541
Do you have a project for our students?
If you or your organization has a marketing communications project that might be suitable for our students, please apply below. We will respond to you as soon as we can. Please note that we do not accept applications made directly to faculty or program coordinators. If you have any questions please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Student Success Advisors
Student Success Advisors
Student Success Advisors assist current students to transition to college life, co-creating an academic success plan, advice on course selection, changing programs, or referrals to specialized support services. If you need help applying to Mohawk, contact Admissions (for International Students, please contact International Admissions).