First Time Study Permit Applicants
Students applying for a Study Permit for the first time, will need to apply through a local Canadian Embassy or Consulate, outside Canada. Please visit Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada (opens new window), for a list of Canadian Consulates and Embassies abroad.
Students applying for a new permit will need to submit:
- Mohawk College Letter or Acceptance
- Proof of financial support for at least one year of academic study (approximately $20,000).
To begin your permit application, please visit the Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada Study Permit page.
Important update for applicants from India only:
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) continues to offer the Study Direct Stream (SDS) for students from India. Students wishing to apply through the SDS program will have to meet the following criteria:
1. Provide Academic IELTS results with an overall 6.0 as well as a 6.0 for all sub-bands, listening, reading, writing and speaking
2. Provide a Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) of $10,000 as proof of ability to self-support
3. Provide proof of tuition payment for the first year
Mohawk College continues to maintain alignment with the SDS processing standards. All student applications from India are required to meet these academic standards to be considered for admissions.
Any applications that do not meet these standards will not be processed.
We will share any additional updates to the new SDS program as they are communicated with us by IRCC.