Before You Apply
We are very happy that you are reviewing Mohawk College’s international student information. An exciting and rewarding experience is waiting for you at Mohawk. As you look through our application process, please remember, we are available to help in any way we can.
What to do first. And second...
We are pleased that you are interested in applying to Mohawk College!
Due to high application volume, we process international applications on a priority basis, with visa processing times, program availability and regional application volumes as key considerations. Applications are also considered based on academic quality of applicants and international student body diversity. Please check our application deadline page for more information.
If you are considering joining us at Mohawk College, there are a few things we would encourage you to review before applying.
1. What Are Your Education Goals?
Before you apply to college, give some thought to your interests and what is important to you.
- Is education a pathway to a career for you? See our programs for international students.
- Do you know what career you would like to pursue? If not, our Career Tools may help.
- Do you want to continue your education after college?
- Is it your intention to return home after graduation?
Tip: Many students are uncertain of exactly what their career and education goals are. It is still a good idea to start with a plan based on how you feel today.
2. Check the availability of your program
We have more than 100 programs available for international students, but with some programs in high demand, it’s important to check the availability of your program for your preferred intake before applying. To enquire about the availability of your program please contact a recruiter.
3. Contact a Recruiter at Mohawk College
It is our goal to make everything about Mohawk College a great experience – including the application process. Our team of recruiters work with hundreds of students and can help simplify the process for you. Please contact a recruiter.
4. Learn More About Mohawk
Choosing a school is a big decision. Here you’ll find an introduction to our college, our programs, our services and our city - see for yourself what a great opportunity studying at Mohawk can be.
Tip: Every year, Mohawk welcomes students from as many as 70 (or more) countries around the world. We have great experience as a first-choice education destination.
To qualify for admission to Mohawk College programs, there are certain requirements all students must meet.
i) Age Requirement
Effective September 2019 all International students must be at least 17 years of age at the start of classes. All International Students under 18 years of age at the time of study at Mohawk College are required to provide a completed, signed and notarized Custodianship Declaration (IMM 4656) on file with the International team. Students who do not provide proper document will have a hold recorded on their account to prevent registration.
For more information please visit the IRCC website – click here
ii) English Language Requirement
Classes at Mohawk are all taught in English. Students whose first language is not English, must prove their ability by completing any of the following:
- Successful completion of GAS-EAP (478) Program Level 8 with 70%,
- TOEFL minimum score of 550 (80 Internet based),
- IELTS Academic with a minimum score of 6.0 overall and with no band less than 5.5, or
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma & English Credit (Grade 12 U, M or C) issued from an Ontario public school board
Some programs require higher level of English language ability:
- Successful completion of GAS-EAP (478) Program Level 8 with 90%,
- TOEFL minimum score of 560 (83 Internet based),
- IELTS Academic with a minimum score of 6.5 overall with no band less than 6.0, or
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma & English Credit (Grade 12 U, M or C) issued from a public school board (required scores vary depending on the program.)
- Some exceptions may apply. Please check admission requirements in each program’s web page.
English Speaking Countries
All applicants are required to submit proof they have successfully completed a senior level English language credit (or equivalent) prior to commencing studies. Applicants may be exempt from submitting external English Proficiency Evaluation (i.e. IELTS, TOEFL etc.) if they meet one of the following requirements:
- Received an Ontario Secondary School Diploma (or Canadian provincial equivalent), studying a minimum of two years of full-time study, and completing a senior level English credit (Grade 12 U, M or C).
- Completed at least one year of full-time post-secondary studies in a Canadian Post Secondary institution with the completion of a College level Communication (or equivalent).
- Completed a minimum of two years of full-time secondary or post-secondary education in a country where English is an official, or the only language of common usage, along with completion of a senior level English credit (or equivalent). Refer to approved listing of English Speaking Countries.
- Successful completion of the Mohawk College EAP program or authorized Mohawk College ESL pathway program.
*At the discretion of the International Operations Support Officer.
iii) Academic Requirements
International students applying to Mohawk College must provide proof of their academic standing equivalent to the Ontario Secondary School Diploma (Grade 12 High School). The specific certificate or proof required depends on what country you are applying from. Your Mohawk recruiter can help you understand what documentation we will require from your country.
For some students, it may be necessary to successfully complete one or more upgrading courses at Mohawk College before entering a post-secondary program. Your acceptance letter from Mohawk will list any academic conditions that we may require.
iv) Visas & Permits
Canadian regulations require all international students who would like to study in Canada to apply for a student visa (sometimes called a study permit).
You cannot apply for a student visa until you have your letter of acceptance from Mohawk. The Visa application process takes longer from some countries than from others. We recommend you begin the process as soon as you receive your letter of acceptance Mohawk. You can find Visa Application Information here.
Tip: The smallest error in your visa application can result in the application being denied. Be sure to review your application carefully.
v) Foreign Credentials Requirements / Advanced Academic Standing
Transfer Credit or Exemptions
If you are transferring from a post-secondary school outside of Canada and wish to use foreign credits or credentials for admission, you must provide an assessment of your documents by a recognized credential assessment service as determined by Mohawk College.
Services We Recognize at This Time Include:
International Credential Assessment and Authentication Services:
Ontario Immigration recognizes the following credentialing services:
- ICAS (International Credential Assessment Service) of Canada
- Telephone: 1-800-321-6021
Recommended for College Entry:
- Comparative Education Service
- University of Toronto
- Telephone : 416-978-2185
Recommended for Entry to College and Employment in Regulated Professions:
- World Education Services (WES)
- Telephone: 416-972-0070
After having your credentials evaluated by one of the above institutions, please submit your original documents (or verified photocopies) along with the Credential Evaluation Report to the college.
vi) Prior Learning & Assessment Recognition
If you have work experience or education credentials that are not typical, but you feel should be considered in your application, please review Mohawk’s policies on `Prior Learning Assessment & Recognition (PLAR).
6. Read Mohawk's Fees And Payment Information
Please review the Mohawk College fee information page before applying. You will find information on:
- Deposit amount required
- Total fees, which may vary by program
- Payment due dates so you can plan your finances
All Mohawk fees are listed in Canadian dollars (CAD). Please note, fees may be changed without notice.
Payment from Outside of Canada (Flywire)
To make paying fees from your home as simple as possible, we have partnered with Flywire, an innovative online fee payment service for payment by wire transfer.
Payment from Within Canada
Paying fees from within Canada is also simple. You can pay by cheque, money order, bank transfer, or credit card.
Mohawk offers fee payment refunds, less an administration fee, only under certain circumstances.Please review our refund policy for full details.
International Student Financial Assistance
Each year, Mohawk College makes available a number of scholarships and bursaries for international students only. During your application process, please review our Scholarships & Bursaries page for more information and to learn how to apply.
7. Understand Mohawk's Application Process
How to Apply
Mohawk’s Application page has our college application form and detailed instructions on what documents to include with your application, including: the completed, filled in form, passport information, English language qualifications (IELTS, TOEFL), educational transcripts, and deposit payment.
8. Review Mohawk's Offer Statuses
Mohawk will review your application and will respond in one of three ways:
i) Accepted: If you receive an acceptance letter, this means you have been accepted into the program you chose. The next step for you would be to confirm your intention to come to Mohawk with a confirmation letter and first payment.
ii) Accepted with Conditions: If your acceptance letter indicates you are accepted with conditions, it will include a list of one or more conditions that you must meet to earn a seat in your program.
A condition may be as simple as providing additional documentation, or it might be something like needing to upgrade English or math skills. Your letter of acceptance will have all the information.
Please note, your seat in your program is not saved until all conditions have been met, and proof of visa approval has been received by Mohawk.
iii) Program Full: Many of our programs fill quickly, so if you receive a “Program Full” message, unfortunately we will not be able to offer you a seat in the program you have chosen. You can reapply in another program or speak to your Mohawk Recruiter about options.
Information for Parents
Access information for parents of international
We Are Here to Help
Book a Personal Application Consultation
We can answer questions or help with your application
at any point in the process.
Journey to Mohawk
See a list of steps in the international student application and acceptance journey.