General Arts and Science
English for Academic Purposes (GAS-EAP)
English for Academic Purposes (EAP) at Mohawk is a series of 8 levels of 7-week courses designed to develop students’ language skills from pre-beginner to college level English. Each level is 18-24 hours in length. With six start dates, the EAP program accommodates students at different times throughout the year and is also for those who wish only a short-term period of academic language instruction. At the higher levels of EAP, students have the opportunity to earn two post-secondary credits toward their diploma program.
Domestic students: EAP program applicants are eligible for OSAP
Important: Entry for the GAS-EAP program closes after week 1.
Mohawk College reserves the right to limit, cancel, adjust or relocate classes/courses/programs of instruction if necessary. Classes will be cancelled if they do not meet the minimum enrolment levels before the start date. The college will make a diligent effort to contact you in advance if a class must be cancelled. However, the college cannot assume responsibility for any expenses (travel, etc...) incurred if you arrive for a class that has been cancelled or rescheduled.
Start Dates: January, March, May, July, September and November.
Levels: Through 8. Levels are 7 weeks in length. Upon successful completion, you advance to the next level.
What is your Level?
*This chart is for reference only.
International English Language
Framework of Reference
Overall 5.5(W/S Minimum Band Score: 6)
Overall 5.5(W/S Minimum Band Score: 5.5)
Overall 5(W/S Minimum Band Score: 5)
Overall 4(W/S Minimum Band Score: 4.5)
Overall 3.5(W/S Minimum Band Score: 3.5)
Overall 3(W/S Minimum Band Score: 3)
Overall 2.5(W/S Minimum Band Score: 2.5)
|Level 1||Overall 2.5||0|
The above scores are required for entry into an EAP level *
Earn credit towards your post-secondary program
Why Study EAP at Mohawk
- Cross Cultural Awareness
- Integrate in academics, community and business
Skills you will Develop
- Learn how to take part in academic lectures and discussions
- Reading made easier! From blogs to academic texts and workplace material
- Succeed in oral communication in all environments – academic, community and workplace
- Public speaking and presentations
- Research and report writing
- Develop key note taking skills
Extra Curricular Activities
Excursions – Develop English skills while experiencing fun, local sporting, outdoor and community events.
College Clubs – Join peers in a range of regular group activities at Mohawk and advance your conversational English.
Volunteering in the community or at Mohawk College – Strengthen your English skills while helping others through community service or college volunteering opportunities.
For a chance to practice your English in a fun, social environment, be sure to join us for Coffee Club, held every other Wednesday in International Square!
- You will join the appropriate level of Integrated English classes in GAS-EAP to increase your chances of success
- 8 levels of EAP from Beginner to Low Advanced mean you can reach your goal faster.
- Levels 7 and 8 include opportunities to earn 2 post-secondary credit courses from your major program of choice.
- Successful completion of Level 8 will waive the English Language Proficiency Requirements for selected Mohawk College career programs
- GAS-EAP levels are offered 6 times a year for international applicants: January, March, May, July, September, November.