General Arts and Science
English for Academic Purposes (GAS-EAP)
English for Academic Purposes (EAP) at Mohawk is a series of 8 levels of 7-week courses designed to develop students’ language skills from pre-beginner to college level English. 18 – 24 hours of synchronous and asynchronous hours, varying by level. With six start dates, the EAP program accommodates students at different times throughout the year and is also for those who wish only a short-term period of academic language instruction. At the higher levels of EAP, students have the opportunity to earn two post-secondary credits toward their diploma program.
Domestic students: EAP program applicants are eligible for OSAP
Important: Entry for the GAS-EAP program closes after week 1.
Mohawk College reserves the right to limit, cancel, adjust or relocate classes/courses/programs of instruction if necessary. Classes will be cancelled if they do not meet the minimum enrolment levels before the start date. The college will make a diligent effort to contact you in advance if a class must be cancelled. However, the college cannot assume responsibility for any expenses (travel, etc...) incurred if you arrive for a class that has been cancelled or rescheduled.
Start Dates: January, March, May, July, September and November.
Levels: Through 8. Levels are 7 weeks in length. Upon successful completion, you advance to the next level.
Why Study EAP at Mohawk
- Earn credit towards your post-secondary program
- Cross Cultural Awareness
- Integrate in academics, community and business
Skills you will Develop
- Learn how to take part in academic lectures and discussions
- Reading made easier! From blogs to academic texts and workplace material
- Succeed in oral communication in all environments – academic, community and workplace
- Public speaking and presentations
- Research and report writing
- Develop key note taking skills
Extra Curricular Activities
Excursions – Develop English skills while experiencing fun, local sporting, outdoor and community events.
College Clubs – Join peers in a range of regular group activities at Mohawk and advance your conversational English.
Volunteering in the community or at Mohawk College – Strengthen your English skills while helping others through community service or college volunteering opportunities.
For a chance to practice your English in a fun, social environment, be sure to join us for Coffee Club, held every other Wednesday in International Square!
- You will join the appropriate level of Integrated English classes in GAS-EAP to increase your chances of success
- 8 levels of EAP from Beginner to Low Advanced mean you can reach your goal faster.
- Levels 7 and 8 include opportunities to earn 2 post-secondary credit courses from your major program of choice.
- Successful completion of Level 8 will waive the English Language Proficiency Requirements for selected Mohawk College career programs
- GAS-EAP levels are offered 6 times a year for international applicants: January, March, May, July, September, November.