Permits & Visas

study permit icon

This section has information for international students who have already been issued a study permit by Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada. For information on applying for a Study Permit to study in Canada, please visit our After Acceptance section.

For international students currently studying at Mohawk, please review these common Study Permit topics.


Extending Study Permits

60 to 90 days: Students whose study permit will be expiring are recommended to apply to extend their document 60 to 90 days in advance. Study Permit extensions are applied for from within Canada to the Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada office in Vegreville, Alberta. Details can be found at the application link below.

Documentation Required: When applying, you will be required to show proof of status at Mohawk College, proof of status in Canada and proof of financial support for at least one year of academic study (approximately $20,000). A full document checklist is available with the application package.

Application Package: A full application package can be downloaded from the Immigration Canada website. You should not leave Canada while your Study Permit extension request is being processed.

Once you have applied to extend your study permit, and as long as you applied prior to its expiry, you have “implied status” until the decision of your application is sent to you.

Renew Your Study Permit Online: You may also renew your study permit online by creating an ePass Account on the IRCC (Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada) website:

  • Create an ePass Account on the IRCC website (create a IRCC account)
  • Once you have created your IRCC account, select the link to Change Conditions or Extend Your Stay in Canada.

clock icon

Tip: Be aware that Canada Immigration will not extend a Study Permit past the expiry date of your Passport.

Restoration of Status

If you miss your application deadline: If you should fail to apply to extend your Study Permit prior to its expiry, there is a 90-day period during which you can restore your status and apply for the extension. Restoration of Status costs an additional $200. If you fail to renew your Study Permit within 90 days of its expiry, you will no longer have any status in Canada, and could be subject to a removal order by Canada Immigration. – in other words, you could be told to leave immediately.

Please be sure to check the dates on your documents and apply for extensions 60-90 days before it expires.

Changing schools - What happen to your study permit?

You may change schools without affecting your study permit status. Please follow the instructions you will find at this Government of Canada webpage.

Look after your study permit

Your study permit and identification documents are very important and must be looked after. We recommend you keep copies of all your important documents in a separate location from the originals.

When submitting documents to immigration, keep a copy of your full application package. Send your application via courier, and record the confirmation number in a safe place

Working, Co-op and Placements in Canada

International students are allowed to work and participate in placements (e.g. field and volunteer placements) and co-op while they are studying in Canada. See the Working in Canada page for information.

If you are completing any type of work-integrated learning experience (co-op, field placement, volunteer placement, internship, etc.) that is required to complete your program of studies, you must apply for a Co-op Work Permit. Please see the International Co-op Work Permit page and the Canada Immigration website for more information.

Other Questions:

If you have general questions regarding immigration, or other issues, you can call Mohawk International at 1-905-575-2430. You can also contact:

Immigration Resources
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada
Webpage: Immigration and citizenship (opens new window)
Immigration Information Call Centre: 1-888-242-2100 (in Canada only)