Application deadline for international students: Check back in 2022!
We love welcoming international students to Hamilton! In past years, we have hosted students from France, Italy, Spain, Mexico, Russia, and Vietnam.
There are four program options for international students:
- 3 week program with homestay and meals
- 3 week program without homestay and meals*
- month long program with homestay and meals
- month long program without homestay and meals*
*you may only choose the program without homestay and meals if you have a custodian in Canada who you will be living with.
|20 day program||32 day program|
|Length (weeks)||Approximately 3 weeks||Approximately 5 weeks|
|Arrive in Hamilton||Early July||Early July|
|First day of program||TBD||TBD|
|Last day of program||Mid-July||Late July / Early August|
Price* for program WITH
homestay and meals
Price* for program WITHOUT
homestay and meals
*2020 prices, in Canadian dollars
What is included?
The fee for international students includes the following:
- Homestay accommodations and meals (only included if you choose that option when you apply)
- English classes (5 mornings per week)
- Workshops and educational outings (during weekdays and on weekends)
- City of Hamilton bus pass
- Airport pick-up and drop-off in Canada (pick-up time must be arranged before you arrive)
- Emergency health insurance (provided by Guard.Me International Insurance)
- All activities and outings on our program calendar
Examples of activities from previous years:
- CN Tower (Toronto)
- Ripley’s Aquarium of Canada (Toronto)
- Hornblower Niagara Cruises (Niagara Falls)
- Canada’s Wonderland (Toronto)
- Outlet Mall at Niagara (Niagara on the Lake)
- Wild Waterworks (Hamilton)
- Grand River Rafting (Cambridge)
- Hamilton Tiger-Cats game (Canadian football in Hamilton)
What is NOT included?
- Flight to Canada and return flight home
- Cost for a visa or Electronic Travel Authorization (issued by the Government of Canada)
- Lawyer or notary fee to sign the Custodian Declaration Form (required by the Government of Canada) - coming soon
After registering with Explore and paying the full fees, we will purchase Guard.me insurance for you. Guard.me insurance covers the cost of treatment for illness or injury during the Explore program in Canada. It does NOT cover expenses related to any illness or disease you already have, or routine doctor visits or treatments.
Step 1: Apply Online
To Apply: Fill out our online application form!
We will review your application and email you back within 1-2 weeks. Email us at explore [at] mohawkcollege.ca (explore[at]mohawkcollege[dot]ca) with any questions you may have.
Step 2: Complete Checklist #1
1) Code of Conduct
Read, print and sign the Student Code of Conduct. Email it to us at: explore [at] mohawkcollege.ca (explore[at]mohawkcollege[dot]ca)
2) Passport Info
Take a picture of your passport information page (with your photo) and email it to us at: explore [at] mohawkcollege.ca (explore[at]mohawkcollege[dot]ca)
3) Application Fee ($250)
Go to FlyWire and click on "Mohawk College Application Fee". Pay the $250 CDN deposit. This amount will be subtracted from the total program cost. It is not an additional fee. After you have paid the deposit, you will receive a payment confirmation code (e.g. MHK123456789). Email us your payment confirmation code: explore [at] mohawkcollege.ca (explore[at]mohawkcollege[dot]ca)
4) Custodian Declaration Form
If you will be living with family in Hamilton, the Government of Canada requires the student's parents/legal guardians to fill out the Custodian Declaration form - coming soon. You must pay for any lawyer or notary fees required for this form.
More information about Studying in Canada as a Minor (Government of Canada website).
If you chose the homestay option when you applied, you do not need to fill out the Custodian Declaration form.
Once the Custodian Declaration form has been filled out:
- Email us a copy: explore [at] mohawkcollege.ca (explore[at]mohawkcollege[dot]ca)
- Put the original document in your carry-on bag. You may need to show it to a Canadian Customs Officer when you arrive at Pearson Airport.
Once you have emailed us all of the items above, we will mail you your official Acceptance Letter. Review your Acceptance Letter to make sure all the information is correct.
Step 3: Complete Checklist #2
1: Review Acceptance Letter
- Review the Acceptance Letter. If you see any errors, please notify us!
- If there are no errors, print the Acceptance Letter and put it in your carry-on bag. You may need to show it to a Canadian customs officer when you arrive in Canada.
- You can use this letter to apply for your visa (if required - see step 2).
- The Acceptance Letter includes your Mohawk Student ID number. You will need this number in order to pay the balance of the program fees on FlyWire.
2: Get a Visa or Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)
- Find out if you need a Visitor Visa or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to enter Canada. These are issued by the Government of Canada.
- If you have questions about this, please ask us. We can put you in touch with someone who can provide assistance.
- You are responsible for paying for the visa or eTA. This is not included in your program fees.
- Information about the visitor visa
- If your application is approved, the visa will be put inside your passport and mailed to you. Please take a picture of your visa and email it to us for our records.
Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)
- Information about the electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)
- When your eTA has been processed, you will received an email from the Government of Canada. Please forward us this email so we have it for our records.
3. Book your flights to and from Pearson airport
- You are responsible for paying for your flights to and from Canada. This is not included in your program fees. Once you have booked your flights, please forward us your flight information/confirmation: explore [at] mohawkcollege.ca (explore[at]mohawkcollege[dot]ca)
- Arrival date: TBD
- Arrival time: If possible, book a flight that arrives at Pearson Airport between 1:00pm and 6:00pm in order to take the Explore shuttle bus from the airport to Mohawk College.
- Departure dates:
(i) 3 week program: TBD
(ii) 5 week program: TBD
- Departure times: If possible, book a return flight that departs from Pearson Airport in the afternoon to ensure you have plenty of time to get to the airport that morning.
4. Pay the remaining program fees
- Open Flywire. Click on “Mohawk College Tuition Payments” and follow the instructions.
- Look on your Acceptance Letter for the payment due date, the amount owing, and your Mohawk ID number.
5. Do the online English test
All students must do an online English test before they arrive in Canada. The link to this test will be emailed to you after you have paid the full program fees. Doing this test will allow us to place you in the correct English class.
6. Complete waivers
Some of the activities may require a signed waiver. You can download the waivers from our Important Documents page. Copies of the signed waivers must be emailed to us BEFORE you arrive in Canada.
7. Email us a selfie
We require a colour photo of your face for your bus pass ID card. The picture does not need to be an official passport photo, but it should be similar to a passport photo. Include only your head and shoulders and take the picture with your head facing forward. Do not wear a hat or sunglasses.
8. Complete the online web form
All Explore students must complete an online web form which will ask you for information such as your workshop preferences. The link to this web form will be emailed to you after you have paid the full program fees.
9. Connect with us
- Follow us on Instagram: @explore.hamilton
- Say hi to us on WhatsApp: +1-905-870-2670 (Include your name so we know who you are!)
Step 4: Pack Your Bags!
*Remember to check the luggage rules for the airline you will be flying with.
Use the checklists below to help you pack your bags.
Pack these items in your carry-on bag (not in your checked luggage):
• passport and trip documents
• Mohawk College Acceptance Letter
• student card (from your school)
• waiver forms
• debit or credit card
• mobile phone and charger
- long pants, jeans, shorts, t-shirts, dresses or skirts, socks and underwear
- jacket or light sweater for evenings and air-conditioned classrooms
- waterproof jacket (some outdoor activities may continue in the rain)
- comfortable running shoes (you will be doing a lot of walking and some activities require closed shoes)
- sport shirts / pants and workout clothes / comfortable yoga pants
- bathrobe, slippers
- swimsuit, beach towel, hat, sandals
- something nice for the Gala (doesn't have to be expensive)
- laptop or tablet and charger
- toiletries (shampoo, soap, deodorant, toothbrush and toothpaste, towel, etc.)
- sunscreen and insecticide (necessary for nature hikes, because there are ticks in Hamilton)
- school supplies: 3-ring binder, lined paper, pens/pencils, pencil case, backpack, English dictionary (optional)
- lunch bag and water bottle
- your smile, sense of humour and lots of energy! :)
- acetaminophen (Tylenol) or ibuprofen (Advil)
- Any prescription medications (e.g. inhalers, Epi Pen, allergy medication). Bring enough for the whole month!
- Keep all your medications with you when you travel. Take them on the plane in your carry-on bag. Do not pack them in your checked luggage.
Get ready for an amazing experience!
explore [at] mohawkcollege.ca (explore[at]mohawkcollege[dot]ca)